PS3 Screen Capture Function

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 10_gamer_10 (91 posts) -

Hey, i dont know if anyones already mentioned something similar but i reckon its worth mentioning it again. I think that the ps3 should have its own screen capture function through the PS button. Like when your playing any of your favourite games and theres that moment that you wish you could just capture, it would be awesome to press the PS button choose an option to screen cap and get the image saved in the photos folder in the PS3? It would be hard to do videos because of the processing power required but i reckon that photos should be good enough. They really should introduce something like that in a future update.

What do you guys think? Good idea or not?

#2 Posted by JKusanagi (815 posts) -
Suposedly they're working on capturing VIDEO, so you can share with ppl how you play or managed to achieve something important
#3 Posted by 10_gamer_10 (91 posts) -
Video?? Thats awesome but i still want to have at least photos
#5 Posted by americahellyeah (16548 posts) -
Video?? Thats awesome but i still want to have at least photos10_gamer_10
ditto... idk why its so hard for them to implement.. just have the PS3 save whatever image is being outputted from the GFX card at that moment... Screen capture function is available to devs to implement but no-one has done it yet...
#6 Posted by 10_gamer_10 (91 posts) -
wait so devs can choose to implement it but they dont? why...?? and exactly, i dont see wats so hard about implementing screen cap
#7 Posted by americahellyeah (16548 posts) -
wait so devs can choose to implement it but they dont? why...?? and exactly, i dont see wats so hard about implementing screen cap10_gamer_10
well Sony only added the ability to do screen caps a couple months ago.. so i imagine that alot more games released next year will have the feature...
#8 Posted by conquerorsaint (1207 posts) -
i wish they'd release an app for it for universal function, not just games, but in xmb as well.
#9 Posted by 10_gamer_10 (91 posts) -

[QUOTE="10_gamer_10"]wait so devs can choose to implement it but they dont? why...?? and exactly, i dont see wats so hard about implementing screen capamericahellyeah
well Sony only added the ability to do screen caps a couple months ago.. so i imagine that alot more games released next year will have the feature...

ok well hopefully they do, it would be nice to be able to take pics of awesome moments in-game

#10 Posted by americahellyeah (16548 posts) -

[QUOTE="americahellyeah"][QUOTE="10_gamer_10"]wait so devs can choose to implement it but they dont? why...?? and exactly, i dont see wats so hard about implementing screen cap10_gamer_10

ok well hopefully they do, it would be nice to be able to take pics of awesome moments in-game

Yeah.... I know a couple games have it.. MGS4 (although that just the camera in game item) and Wipeout HD..
#11 Posted by campbell1874 (1920 posts) -

[QUOTE="10_gamer_10"]wait so devs can choose to implement it but they dont? why...?? and exactly, i dont see wats so hard about implementing screen capamericahellyeah

Game developers has had the choice to add this feature before without any support by Sony. Halo manage to add in game screen shots and video of the whole match so a PS3 game could have done the same if they wanted to.

A lot of developers wont see this as an advantage in selling there game so why should they spend extra time and money on this feature. Sony really need to force developers to add this into their games.

#12 Posted by 10_gamer_10 (91 posts) -

i wish they'd release an app for it for universal function, not just games, but in xmb as well.conquerorsaint

Yeah i know thats why i said the best thing to have would be an option from the PS button, where all the other options are like quit game and turn off system; click the PS button and then click screen cap!

#13 Posted by Ermachko (107 posts) -
I do that daily with a Monoprice HDMI distirbution amplifier, an epiphan DVI2USB capture device
#14 Posted by synyster-666 (4148 posts) -

The screen capture idea is excellent. I've always wanted to see something like that. I've had moments on my PS2 games where I wish I could take a snapshot and save it forever. At least you can hope for something like that with the PS3.

I have heard about the video feature too, and it sounds quite exciting. Didn't they sign up with YouTube to help host PSN user videos? I remember reading something like that.

#15 Posted by rogerjak (14708 posts) -
[QUOTE="10_gamer_10"]Video?? Thats awesome but i still want to have at least photosamericahellyeah
ditto... idk why its so hard for them to implement.. just have the PS3 save whatever image is being outputted from the GFX card at that moment... Screen capture function is available to devs to implement but no-one has done it yet...

Motorstorm Pacific Rift has it and it's freaking awesome.
#16 Posted by BostonDieNasty (742 posts) -
[QUOTE="10_gamer_10"]

Hey, i dont know if anyones already mentioned something similar but i reckon its worth mentioning it again. I think that the ps3 should have its own screen capture function through the PS button. Like when your playing any of your favourite games and theres that moment that you wish you could just capture, it would be awesome to press the PS button choose an option to screen cap and get the image saved in the photos folder in the PS3? It would be hard to do videos because of the processing power required but i reckon that photos should be good enough. They really should introduce something like that in a future update.

What do you guys think? Good idea or not?

R:Fom had this feature i dont see why all games dont
#17 Posted by bramvanmil (1 posts) -
I do that daily with a Monoprice HDMI distirbution amplifier, an epiphan DVI2USB capture deviceErmachko
We are trying to capture the screen of the PS3 with the Epiphan DVI2USB Solo. The software adjusts to the correct resolution but displays and records a black screen. Can you tell me how to make screen capture properly? Thanks