PS3 Powers Up, No Audio/Video One Beep

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

Just got a PS3 in... When powered up, I hear a hellascious grinding/rubbing sound..

Dis-assembled the unit and discovered that the fan (and WHAT a fan!!) was slightly tweaked.. Fixed that and now the unit powers up smooth and silky..

Problem is, it doesn't do anything else.. I power it up and hear the big fan whiirrrr up to speed for a second or two then it's quiet.. But I still feel air coming out of the vents..

I get a steady green power light with no audio or video..

I tried the reset option, having the red light and then pushing and holding the power button.

I get one beep at initial power up and then, 5-7 secs later another single beep...

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanx

Michale

#2 Posted by Philosoma (842 posts) -
Did you buy your PS3 used or from a friend or something? Because if so, they could have been using a different video out device than the one you've hooked up - possibly. I am no expert on the subject but I borrowed my friend's PS3 one time and he had it hooked up with SVC so when I tried HDMI it didn't display anything.
#3 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

Thanx for the reply. Yep it was used.. I have tried the HDMI display and the regular PS A/V Cable display. No luck.. I am thinking, though that by holding the power button down and getting that second BEEP, that should reset the PS3 back to default settings, no??

Thanx again.

#4 Posted by robertofaleiros (6 posts) -

The video configuration problem should be solved by reseting the PS3.

Verify if the cables are ok. If the power cord is fine and correct voltage. A lower voltage could do that.

#5 Posted by Philosoma (842 posts) -

PS3 Hard Reset

1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.

2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.

3. Then go through the initial setup and then run a full Format via System > Format. (will take approx 3 1/1 hours). You may need to have our AV cables ready if your using HDMI (in case HDMI isn't detected after initial reset).

Video of Hard Reset

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcSR3dBoEg \

Hope that helps man.

#6 Posted by TheTenth10 (3035 posts) -

hopefully your cable is dead

put back the basic composite cable sold with the PS3 on the TV, do the "three bips" thing, check if there is sound and image

are you sure you're good enough with electronics not to have damaged a part in the PS3? opening it voids the warranty for something as it's easy to break those little things in it ... (even when putting the top back)

#7 Posted by leo23 (1197 posts) -
u r a proud owner of a dud
#8 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

Verify if the cables are ok. If the power cord is fine and correct voltage. A lower voltage could do that.

robertofaleiros

Yea, I have read that the PS3's Power supply is not the greatest..

I have a meter.. Do you know if there are specs on the PSU that would allow me to see if it is oupting the right voltages??

Thanx

#9 Posted by patriots7672 (3249 posts) -
Why are you buying a used PS3? There's no warrany and there's a good chance someone is selling it because it's no good because they broke it and can't get it replaced because they broke it. I would never trust a purchase like that.
#10 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

hopefully your cable is dead

put back the basic composite cable sold with the PS3 on the TV, do the "three bips" thing, check if there is sound and image

are you sure you're good enough with electronics not to have damaged a part in the PS3? opening it voids the warranty for something as it's easy to break those little things in it ... (even when putting the top back)

TheTenth10

I'll check the HARD RESET, but I think I tried to hold it a long time and only got the one beep..

I am new to the PS3, but pretty decent around game consoles in general. I can disassemble and reassemble an XBOX in my sleep and while I DO need to be awake for the 360, I can disassemble and reassemble a 360 with my eyes closed. :D

But I am a noob when it comes to the PS3, so it's possible..

One thing I did notice at one time. After several times of trying it, I powered the unit on and thought I saw a bright spark come from the area in the back of the PS3 around the vents. Kind of like a fuse blowing or something. But a visual inspection of the area didn't turn up anything and it still powers up and all just as it did before... So, I dunno..

u r a proud owner of a dudleo23

hehehehe wouldn't be the first time. :D

#11 Posted by robertofaleiros (6 posts) -
[QUOTE="robertofaleiros"]

Michale2469

Yea, I have read that the PS3's Power supply is not the greatest..

I have a meter.. Do you know if there are specs on the PSU that would allow me to see if it is oupting the right voltages??

Thanx

Try to test the power source and test the usb power putting a controller to charge. you can start validating the power source. The lights from the backs are very strange.

#12 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

OK, I have an update on this...

I have the PS3 in standby mode.. RED LED...

I push and hold the POWER button.

I get one beep and the GREEN LED comes on.

I continue to hold the POWER button.

5 Secs or so later, I get another Beep. GREEN LED stays on.

I continue to hold the POWER button.

5 Secs or so later, I get another Beep. The GREEN LED goes to RED and the PS3 goes back to standby.

Is this the 3-beep problem I have read about?? :(

I'll check the Power via USB charging..

#13 Posted by p4ddym (632 posts) -
Turn off and hold in the power touch button untill you hear 3 beeps. Need to know if you switch between hdmi and component.
#14 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

The USB port appears to charge the Wireless controller just fine...

Yep, I have tried both the regular PS A/V port and the HDMI port.. No luck on either..

#15 Posted by DarkElement629 (71 posts) -
1. do the reset thing could have originally been set to hdmi and if your are using component it will not show up unless you hold down the power button 2. if you are using component make sure the colors match and that the part that it connects to in the back is securely in sometimes it can be loose just enough to compromise your video
#16 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

Thanx for the reply..

The A/V cable I am using is a universal one that has the Yellow Composite Video Plug and the Red/White Composite Audio Plug..

Wouldn't that work??

#17 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
Have you tried making sure all your connections are connected firmly in the back of the system and have the TV your using turned and the correct input selected (not some of those universal cables can be the problem) you can get the Sony component cables for about the same price as the universal ones. Now with everything connected and the PS3 in standby mode use the power up method but instead of waiting for three beeps the trick is hold the power sensor until the second beep and release the sensor at that time. I have used this method many many times just to check and see if it worked everytime (it works everytime as long as it's done correctly) if the power switch isn't released soon enough after the second beep then it won't work (it has to be done almost as soon as the second beep happens). Another thing this doesn't set the system to the defaut settings instead it resets the system to the current connection being used at that time.
#18 Posted by Michale2469 (31 posts) -

Well, it looks like I might fracked things up worse.. :(

Now when I power up, I get the Yellow Light 3 Beeps Of Death.. I have done a lot of reading on it and no one knows the cause.. Is Sony stonewalling on this?? Can't we get a definitive word from them on exactly what the Yellow Light 3 Beeps mean??