PS3 online without a wireless connection.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chazasul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 chazasul
Member since 2003 • 3852 Posts
I want to a buy a PS3, but I don't have a wireless internet connection and don't intend to get one any time soon. I was wondering what my options were to get a PS3 online (if any at all).
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
it has wireless and ethernet connections
LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

If you can't have wireless, then hook up an ethernet cable. Right now you probably just have a wall connection that goes into a modem, that then goes to a PC?

If it is like that, then get a router (might as well get a wireless router) and either use the wireless feature on it, or run an ethernet cable from the modem to your router, then to the PS3 and also the PC.

chazasul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 chazasul
Member since 2003 • 3852 Posts

If you can't have wireless, then hook up an ethernet cable. Right now you probably just have a wall connection that goes into a modem, that then goes to a PC?

If it is like that, then get a router (might as well get a wireless router) and either use the wireless feature on it, or run an ethernet cable from the modem to your router, then to the PS3 and also the PC.

LtColJaxson

Okay, thanks. You may have guessed I'm not very PC-savvy. This is veering away from PS3 now but necessary either way, If I bought a wireless router would it involve a lot of a lot of installations and such? I set my internet connection up at about 3 years ago and I have lost all the CD's, passwords and all that jazz. Would that be an issue or will I literally be able to buy a wireless router, hook it up and away we go?

Avatar image for ChocolateCake10
ChocolateCake10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ChocolateCake10
Member since 2008 • 759 Posts
has a 1000mbit ethernet port, or so i was told it was 1000mbit but you can jack an ethernet cable in it.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Okay, thanks. You may have guessed I'm not very PC-savvy. This is veering away from PS3 now but necessary either way, If I bought a wireless router would it involve a lot of a lot of installations and such? I set my internet connection up at about 3 years ago and I have lost all the CD's, passwords and all that jazz. Would that be an issue or will I literally be able to buy a wireless router, hook it up and away we go? chazasul

If you've got cable internet, you should just be able to slap the router in between your computer and it'll work automatically when it boots up. If you've got DSL, you might need to clone your MAC address (it'll be in the router's setup page accessed through your web browser) or phone your provider and give them your router's MAC address. Cloning is easier, though.

Once you've got that done, go into the setup, enable wireless, WPA2 security, set a password and a network name, disable SSID broadcasting (for security reasons), and click update.

Then just punch in the SSID (network name), the security type, and the password on your PS3 and you'll be golden.

nashwan454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nashwan454
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i have a internet pendrive from that can i get online on ps3

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It depends on which router you buy. A lot of them nowadays are very easy to set up. You just put the installation disc into your computer and it guides you through the process. I was really worried about setting up a router myself, but I muddled through, swore a few times, but I got it working and now I'm very glad I did. The worst that can happen is that you can't get it hooked up and you take it back to the store for a refund.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="LtColJaxson"]

chazasul

Okay, thanks. You may have guessed I'm not very PC-savvy. This is veering away from PS3 now but necessary either way, If I bought a wireless router would it involve a lot of a lot of installations and such? I set my internet connection up at about 3 years ago and I have lost all the CD's, passwords and all that jazz. Would that be an issue or will I literally be able to buy a wireless router, hook it up and away we go?

All you need is your username and password from your ISP, infact call your ISP they might have routers they can send you and have a guy install it for you.... Or if not then buy a $60 Modem/Router preferably wireless and hook it up, then on its just getting your username and password used by the ISP and you whack it into the router settings and away you go.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
Most routers are very easy to set-up now. The best thing is if you have problems help is just a phone call away and the tech will walk you through the set-up step by step. Buying a new router also comes with a life line. It's not like buying something and once you get home your on your own.