PS3 make grinding noise.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Krypt_Kreeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Krypt_Kreeper
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts

When I play a game for even only about 30mins and I take it out and insert a DVD, for a few seconds my PS3 slim starts making this farly loud grinding noise while it loads but if I pop in a DVD right when I turn on my PS3 it doesn't make that noise. It also doesn't make that noise if I been playing a game then decide to put in another game, just DVDs. Anyone else have this happen to them? I've heard it could be the laser having trouble reading the disc as well as possible overheating. My PS3 is less than 3 months old and is kept in a well ventilated area away from other electronics.

Also, I know it's normal for the PS3 to make a cracking noise during gameplay and after it been shut off because of the plastic cooling off but is it normal for the plastic to continue to make cracking sounds even about 2 hours after shutting it down

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts
I've actually noticed the "cracking" sound upwards of an hour after playing, but it still runs right along so far. As for the grinding noise, so long as it works, and the discs aren't being damaged, I wouldn't really dwell on it.
optiplex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 optiplex7
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

Mine does too! It makes that noise but there is no error, scratch or damage at all no performance spikes or sags either.

Avatar image for NakedSnake-1993
NakedSnake-1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NakedSnake-1993
Member since 2008 • 132 Posts

Same with me

biscuits3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 biscuits3
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts

Chyea I recently got a slim and it makes a lot of noise, kind of bothersome. At least it's not damaging the disks though so that's what counts. Is anyone else noticing the slim takes forever to connect to PSN though? My 60 GB doesn't take nearly as long as my 250 slim.

Krypt_Kreeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Krypt_Kreeper
So it's probably nothing? None of my disks are scratched and they play fine but that noise weirds me out. I can hear when my PS3 is reading a disc but this is a completely different sound. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a motor (not exactly like a motor but it's the best way I can think of to describe it). Again though, it only happens with DVD's, and only if I been playing a video game before hand and hadn't shut off the console..
Dark-Star13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dark-Star13
Member since 2009 • 2849 Posts

Maybe it doesn't like you and it's grinding its teeth:P

grizzlybear1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 grizzlybear1
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Ah yes ive heard about this apparently its playstation AIDS...

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

The Slims do have louder disc drives when you insert discs, and I was reading the AVS forums which specialize in HDTVs, Video, Audio, Stereo, Blu Ray, DVD and such, and there was a thread where people were saying they don't want to risk their PS3s in breaking using it as a DVD player. I think it was about upscaling DVDs with the PS3. I'll provide the link if I find it.

Krypt_Kreeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Krypt_Kreeper

Maybe it doesn't like you and it's grinding its teeth:P

Dark-Star13
Nah my PS3 loves me. I cradles me in it's arms at night, reads me bedtime stories and tells me I'm special.
Krypt_Kreeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Krypt_Kreeper

The Slims do have louder disc drives when you insert discs, and I was reading the AVS forums which specialize in HDTVs, Video, Audio, Stereo, Blu Ray, DVD and such, and there was a thread where people were saying they don't want to risk their PS3s in breaking using it as a DVD player. I think it was about upscaling DVDs with the PS3. I'll provide the link if I find it.

gago-gago
So it would probably be best just not to play DVDs on it then?
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
[QUOTE="gago-gago"]

Krypt_Kreeper
So it would probably be best just not to play DVDs on it then?

Well the PS3 is the best console to upscale DVDs, but all that upscaling might be working your PS3 harder if you think about it. So it's better to watch DVDs on dedicated DVD players. I use to watch a lot of DVDs on my consoles, but after researching around the Internet I just use my DVD player when I'm watching DVDs. I'm thinking of getting a standalone Blu Ray player myself, when my Blu Ray collection gets bigger. Oh yeah I think this is the link, there's lots of reading here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1180189