PS3 life expectancy...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarchingOrd3rZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1 MarchingOrd3rZ
Member since 2012 • 24 Posts

Now that the PS4 is out, what is a realistic timetable for the PS3 to ride off in to the proverbial sunset? Logic tells me I have at least 5 years to decide whether to make the leap to PS4, given the PS3 and PS2's concurrent run. Alas, I've been hearing rumblings that the PS3 will be phasing out sooner that I anticipated (2-3 years) and I feel as of the PS3 still has a lot to offer.

I never buy consoles on launch, it took me 4 (from launch date) years to finally get a PS3 because of all of the issues I was hearing. I guess, to reiterate, I'm wondering if I'll have that same waiting cushion...

Thanks in advance for the answers!

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

I'm sure it'll be supported for quite a few years to come, but most developers are really going to start focusing on the PS4. New titles will probably still come out on the PS3 for a few years as there are millions of them out there, but I'm thinking we're down to the last 2 or 3 years before support really begins to dwindle.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

might be a while. the ps4 costs twice as much as the ps3 so i doubt many will bother buying it till a price drop... plus most games will look almost the same on either ps3 or ps4 unless its a open world game. any platforming game or a game with simple graphics would make sense to make it on ps3.

i'm like you and won't buy a console for many years. there isnt a point until theres something on it you like.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

You seem happy with your PS3 so stick with it. Regarding the next-gen consoles buying any new electronic on day one is risky as they tend to have minor issues/glitches. If you can afford a PS4 though and want one I wouldn't let the minor problems get in the way of buying one.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i would say 5 years give or take

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

It seems there will be several cross-gen games for at least a few more years. But I can't think of any games off the top of my head that will be exclusive to the PS3 or that past generation, which is what I guess I have to call it now. But as long as you still have plenty to play on the PS3, there probably is no real need to rush for the PS4. I'll be getting one sooner than I need to, but I'll definitely still be playing my PS3 for years to come.