This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for KC_Chiefs_4Life
KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 KC_Chiefs_4Life
Member since 2008 • 378 Posts

Was in mid-game for Modern Warfare 2 and the system just shut off and beeped a few times. Then it started blinking a red light lol. I turned it off then on and thankfully I got my game out in time but it still wont turn on. Did it overheat or what happened here? I have a new one being shipped to me on Saturday anyways so it's all good and money isn't a concern but anyone else had this happen to 'em??

aptrapani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 aptrapani
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts

Never had that happen to me but it sounds like it might have overheated. I stand mine up vertically and give it enough room to breathe and it barely even gets warm.

Scorch217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Scorch217
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Something like that happened to my friend's ps3. He had it on for a while and when he came bank to it, it just shut off. Wouldn't come back on. He's trying to send it to customer services to find out what's wrong. He has the 80gb model. You know, the black one that had the spider-man 3 writing on it.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

op

I thought it must be an older model.

Mind is about a year old get a few hours almost every day. Often play several hours at a time. Once 17 hours consecutive and it was still cool to the touch.

just to be safe though I keep it dust free, I have had problems in the past from dust clogged fan or board in my computer and don't want that to happen here. I believe the most common problem with a PC or console is the good old "user error/operator malfuntion" :wink:

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KC_Chiefs_4Life

I bought my 80 Gb PS3 in Dec. of 2008 so its had a good amount of use for not having any problems till now. I guess stuff just happens lol. Mine was well ventilated and saw a few hours a day and a good amount on the weekends so, like I said, I guess it just had its wear and tear and overheated.

redhot_sauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 redhot_sauce
Member since 2009 • 170 Posts

that sucks man

i was playing a little modern warfare 2 this past sunday, and my ps3 died. it froze up, and restarted. then when i tried to play the game, i got message saying something about error. so i restarted my ps3, and that was it. the machine didnt read anything. so now i use as a stream machine. i just bought a slim on monday evening...

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KC_Chiefs_4Life

I went to about 12 different places where I live and all were sold out, I had to get Saturday shipping on amazon.com just to be content with myself lmao. It's a 3 day weekend for me, I GOTTA HAVE IT!!! lol

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

Was it the fat model?

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts

I bought my 80 Gb PS3 in Dec. of 2008 so its had a good amount of use for not having any problems till now. I guess stuff just happens lol. Mine was well ventilated and saw a few hours a day and a good amount on the weekends so, like I said, I guess it just had its wear and tear and overheated.

KC_Chiefs_4Life
I have the same model and I too bought it sometime in 2008. It still works perfectly for me. did you bury it?
KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KC_Chiefs_4Life

Yes its the fat one and yeah im about to bury it lmao. I still have it but its $150 to send it in to get a refurbished one plus state sales tax so like $175 or so I think. I already ordered a new one so I might as well see if someone wants to buy this one for like $20 lol.

gugler990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gugler990
Member since 2010 • 2009 Posts

YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH

YLOD

zachdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 zachdragon
Member since 2005 • 1707 Posts

You got the Yellow light of death aka red blinking light of death and you have to send it to sony to fix it it happened to me when Madden 10 came out however good news you will get your console bak in 2 weeks tops!

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

Yes its the fat one and yeah im about to bury it lmao. I still have it but its $150 to send it in to get a refurbished one plus state sales tax so like $175 or so I think. I already ordered a new one so I might as well see if someone wants to buy this one for like $20 lol.

KC_Chiefs_4Life

dude $20?? sold....for real

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KC_Chiefs_4Life

I'm getting a new one anyways and I'm not sending it in for $150. It's pointless now, I might as well sell it or just keep it and let it collect dust.

herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 herukuti
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

i ordered a slim from amazon too as that was the only place that still had units. i also got a squaretrade 3yr warranty. my 40g died on feb 8th i got it in august of 08. i didnt order overnight or next day shipping so it should arrive this monday.i went to gamestop today and traded in my broken ps3 and they gave me 50 store credit.the ps3 in working condition for my size model(20-40) is 80 store credit and there is a 30 dollar restocking fee. the 80 and 160g models trade in for 120.with my store credit i got a playstaton eye a vertical stand and some real triggers.

herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 herukuti

i forgot to add my unit was a ylod also; and if sony does not catch a lawsuit they probably will not extend the warranty to cover ylod.

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KC_Chiefs_4Life

So I could trade in my old broken ps3 into gamestop? I had the YLOD happen to mine.

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KC_Chiefs_4Life

Nevermind, I just called Gamestop and they said the model that I have that I could get about $100 store credit :-D

Yipppee!!!

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Hearing so many people with Dead PS3's, I guess the myth that it doesn't die is false. I think people had no games to play to really determine it's reliability. Now more people are playing it and really stress testing it, which shows that it's probably as death prone as the older 360 models.
KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KC_Chiefs_4Life

It just goes to show you that "anything" can break down and not work anymore. Stuff happens but I just hope this doesnt happen again for another 2-3 years for me. Would hate to have this happen anytime sooner. That would suck!! lol

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
It's ylod. you can fix it yourself, youknow.
SmokenAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SmokenAshes
Member since 2005 • 1580 Posts

It's ylod. you can fix it yourself, youknow.Dogswithguns

Just tried to fix mine tonight, ...I feel sick now because mine is still broke. All that hard work for nothing!

herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 herukuti

the ps3 main board is the problem as it does not accommodate soldered cpu gpu well. i dont know if the 360 main board is not socketed also but this fault should have never been part of the systems. i have never worked on a mac book; but any computer system i have worked on in the past 20 years or so has always had sockets for cpu and gpu.i suppose they viewed the ps3 as just another electronic device like a clock or coffee machine in which case they have no cpu gpu and the testing for the 360/ps3 would not fail quality checks from this perspective. in older technology excluding tubes but more circuit based the higher quality of metal based conductor the greater the current can pass unimpeded with less heat being created in the process of this passing.the ps3 line of products advertise about being eco friendly; but, in honesty eco friendly attempts at business has a greater toll on environment than just using more expensive metals or cheaper conductive metals that are deemed environmentally hazardous.

the funny thing is even if you bought a 360/ps3/wii that was dipped in gold; the internal circuitry is still equal and cheap. if you could have the main board retrofitted with that gold, that would be something of awe.

Fantasticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fantasticus
Member since 2009 • 666 Posts
this happened to my old 60gb PS3 3 times. had enough, so i went to Gamestop to trade it in towards a PS3 slim which hasn't given me any problems... so far...
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I hope my Ps3 doesn't suffer from these problems, its an 80 gig model with a 350gig HDD.

If something were to happen to it I'd freak!

TehSupaBeatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TehSupaBeatz
Member since 2010 • 487 Posts

I am getting more and more nervous. :( I have had my 60gb PS3 since launch which I think was late '07. So far no major problems but the older it gets the more worried I become.

dgtx42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dgtx42
Member since 2009 • 52 Posts

That is really weird, my dads friends ps3 died yesterday mid-game playing MW2 as well. And guess what, today mid-game while my dad was playin MW2 on my ps3... it died. Can it be possible a virus may have been sent through MW2 servers or something? That is just too weird.

DEATH775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 DEATH775
Member since 2005 • 4216 Posts
I hope this doesn't happen to my PS3.
KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KC_Chiefs_4Life

Personally, I think its just a one of those things that happens. I dont think it has anything to do with MW2 the game. It's the console. Mine was 2 and a half years old so I guess it was due. Plus it was one of the first ones out so maybe not everything was done right and now when they build them, they know the issue ..... somewhat lol. Hopefully the new PS3's last a lil longer.

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

im glade you just bought a new ps3 because theres no yous to sending it to sony for a refurb one that eventually will break down again

bpw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bpw8
Member since 2002 • 558 Posts
there is use in getting a refurb if you want one for backwards compatibility. I have a bunch of PS2 games that are going to collect dust if I had to get rid of my b/c unit. and no I don't want to buy a ps2, it's just another device to hook up and have cables all over the place.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Yeah that's good you bought a new Slim one because I keep on reading even if you fix it yourself or have Sony send you a refurb Fat, they will break again later on.

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KC_Chiefs_4Life

Yeah, I bought a new one mainly cause financially I'm not hurting. Work is full time and paying very well so I'm good there. I see no point in sending in this ps3, 80 Gb w/backwards compatibility, for $150 basically plus tax. I am gonna trade it back in tomorrow which Gamestop has already told me I'm looking at around $100 store credit for trading in the unit and a controller. What's funny is that I'm good on games and just traded in a few games for new ones so I don't really know what to do with the 100 dollards or so lol. Oh well, I'll save it for later. Thanks for the posts, hope everyone's ps3's last a long time.

redhot_sauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 redhot_sauce

so u can trade in a broke ps3?

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

Never had that happen to me but it sounds like it might have overheated. I stand mine up vertically and give it enough room to breathe and it barely even gets warm.

aptrapani
listen to this man, PS3 needs room, i keep mine on the coffee table ^_^
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

PS3s don't break by themselves. You need to take better care of your PS3s. Don't use switch in back to turn off the system unless it wont turn off any other way, Plenty of ventilation in front and in back, do not interrupt it when it's downloading content or installing content, don't drop it/abuse it, don't install things on it improperly, and keep the front and back vents dust free and plenty of room around them.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 patriots7672

Me, my nephews, and brother in laws all keep ours where our PS3s have plenty of ventilation from front to back and we don't do strange things with them or disrupt them when they're installing or downloading, and we only use the back switch when it wont turn off any other way and none of us have had any issues whatsoever with ours.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 patriots7672

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]It's ylod. you can fix it yourself, youknow.SmokenAshes

Just tried to fix mine tonight, ...I feel sick now because mine is still broke. All that hard work for nothing!

You guys have got to be doing inappropriate things and/or not putting them where they get plenty of ventilation.

bpw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bpw8
Member since 2002 • 558 Posts

PS3s don't break by themselves. You need to take better care of your PS3s. Don't use switch in back to turn off the system unless it wont turn off any other way, Plenty of ventilation in front and in back, do not interrupt it when it's downloading content or installing content, don't drop it/abuse it, don't install things on it improperly, and keep the front and back vents dust free and plenty of room around them.

patriots7672
I promise you I did all that and mine still died. it was clean as a whistle the day it stopped turn on. I never used that switch in the back. It's on a completely open shelf with plenty of space for the vents to breath. Only thing I can't prevent is cat hair, but I would dust it off as often as possible.
redhot_sauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 redhot_sauce

the ps3 is piece of electronic equipement. they can be treated very well, but sometimes electronic equipement breaks down.

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KC_Chiefs_4Life

Yeah just because you dont give it proper ventilation doesnt mean its NOT gonna break down or die lmao. Stuff happens. I think in my case it was just wear and tear cause it's been on top of a desk with pllllleeentttty of ventilation. Like someone stated, its an electronic device, things break down, things go bad, things wear out and you can treat it as good as possible but your still gonna get that YLOD one day, I guarantee it ;-)

I have another question for people though. I have the new 120 Gb ps3, the slim lookin one. I came today and my ps3 was on for no reason. Anyone ever have that happen to them?? I went in and manually set it to turn off after an hour, regardless of whats on or being used, so that way when Im gone for the 12-13 hours in a normal work day, it'll shut off hopefully and not be on when I get home. It wasnt hot to the touch, not too bad so hopefully it wasnt on too long. Kinda scared the crap outta me.

KC_Chiefs_4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KC_Chiefs_4Life

came home*

....I should say lol. That didnt' come out right lmao.

Mushrooom_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mushrooom_Man
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

Same thing happened to my old 20GB, I got YLOD and had to send it in... now I'm bored out of my mind...

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Yeah this happen to my Second Gen Ps3.