This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by thegamingjunkie (171 posts) -

Unfortunately, we've all heard the news that PS4 won't have backwards compatibility and there were some pretty awesome games on PS3. However, they made this thing called Playstation Now where only limited or some PS3 games are available for digital download on the PS4 which I believe will be launched during the summer. Any thoughts on this? And what are some games you really want from the PS3?

I really want THE LAST OF US on PS4! It must be released on the PS4, if not, then it has to be available on Playstation Now even though it has not been confirmed yet. GTA V also has to come out on PS4!

#2 Edited by marcheegsr (2465 posts) -

I am really interested in Ps now. But I already own a ps3 and have played a ton of games. But I know I missed out on a bunch also. So I am hoping they offer some games I haven't played yet.

#3 Edited by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

I do think that the Playstation Now is really cool, but if you still own a PS3 like I do than that service isn't that big of deal. If all games that were on the Playstation Now would be upgraded for the PS4 to look better than that would be awesome, but that I don't will happen. Oh well.

#4 Posted by commandokock (498 posts) -

im not crazy about yet another pay service. its a slippery slope. if sony feels like these pay services are successful theyre gonna start giving us less at retail and force us to supplement it with more pay products. just look at what dlc has done to the quality/quantity of retail products. were getting half games at retail and paying extra for the rest. nowadays publishers are creating games with the dlc already in mind before the actual game is even finished. does anyone else see a problem here? gaming is going to a dark place for us consumers because the publishers are seeing more dollar signs.

#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69895 posts) -

We don't know what games are coming out for it, but in the first wave be sure it's sony exclusives

#6 Posted by jakesnakeel (147 posts) -

@thegamingjunkie: I'll believe that this works only when I see it. I can't imagine that a ps3 game played through Now is going to be the same experience as playing on a ps3. Even the excellent Remote Play on the Vita starts choking when you get about 30 feet from the router.

#7 Edited by thegamingjunkie (171 posts) -

@commandokock: Agreed, I really wish that these 'pay services' would stop being a big deal. It would be cool if we can get to play ps3 games on playstation now but even better if we wouldn't need to pay a subscription for playstation now itself- its a great idea, but agreed, more dollar signs, less the awesome gaming experience. I really hope they do move away from that in the future. @jakesnakeel True, the gaming experience will be different, the graphics won't be as good as it was on the ps3 for sure.

I really do hope they would back off their thoughts on money a little and think more about the consumer's gaming experience. Their pay services have been successful in the past, and they'll do it even more in the future.

#8 Posted by thegamingjunkie (171 posts) -

I think sony is now kinda regretting on not making the PS4 backwards compatibility because of all the controversy its causing and tough decisions for people who are deciding to get the PS3 now or move forward and go for the PS4 :) I mean PS Now is great, but there are definitely downsides to it like monthly/yearly subscriptions and at the same time paying for the actual games themselves, I have never been a big fan of pay services, just do it to play with friends over the internet.

#9 Edited by Lhomity (771 posts) -

PS Now is a streaming rental service. You can rent games individually, or subscribe to a service. The full details of which are not yet known. Which games will be available with PS Now and which games won't, is also not yet known.

For now, if you really want to play PS3 games, you're probably better off buying a PS3.

@commandokock: It's normal for devs to plan out DLC early on. In fact it makes sense to have a plan for post-launch, and keeping the game interesting long-term. It's also worthwhile having art and sounds assets in place early; having dialogue for voice actors so that you don't have to call them back to record a few lines for some DLC. What doesn't make sense is the idea that a piece of DLC merely existing renders the base game somehow 'incomplete', along with any suggestion that the quality of games has suffered because of some optional additional content that's out there.

What'll really boggle the noggin' is when you consider the possibility that, had the tech and the online services existed 20+ years ago, it's reasonable to imagine that DLC might have been a thing in, say, the 16-bit era. Nintendo first explored this concept with the Famicom modem, and later with e-reader.

DLC is a natural evolution of our pastime. Gamer plays game. Gamer liked game. Gamer wants more game. Gamer buys more content for game Or doesn't. At least gamer has options. Gamer can always buy something else if 'Super Mission Pack B' and 'Samurai costume pack 2' doesn't interest gamer. It's why we bought magazines full of ads to find cheats and easter eggs. It's why FFVII fans spent years scamming each other on internet forums and usenet groups with 'Method #304958 to resurrect Aeris'.

@thegamingjunkie I don't think Sony is regretting making their console $200 more expensive by including PS3 hardware for backwards compatibility.

The original PS3 is proof that gamers say they want backwards compatibility but don't really want to pay the price for it.

On the other hand, the PS4 is built on common x86 architecture, so future backwards compatibility is looking good for PS5.

#10 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69895 posts) -

I think sony is now kinda regretting on not making the PS4 backwards compatibility because of all the controversy its causing and tough decisions for people who are deciding to get the PS3 now or move forward and go for the PS4 :) I mean PS Now is great, but there are definitely downsides to it like monthly/yearly subscriptions and at the same time paying for the actual games themselves, I have never been a big fan of pay services, just do it to play with friends over the internet.

It would be too difficult and too expensive to keep making CELL processors and include them in the PS4

#11 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thegamingjunkie said:

It would be too difficult and too expensive to keep making CELL processors and include them in the PS4

Yeah, I definitely agree. Sony learned that lesson with the launch of the PS3. Never underestimate the importance of keeping costs down, especially during the first year of a new system launch. While it would've been cool if the PS4 was fully backwards compatible with the PS3, I think Sony did the right thing by focusing the PS4's hardware exclusively on the next gen. They designed this generation's most powerful console at a reasonable price.

Eventually, as this gen progresses, we'll definitely get some kind of emulation for the PS3 on the PS4. However, if people really want to continue playing their PS3 & have an available HDMI slot on their TV, just keep your PS3 hooked up as well so you can have the best of both worlds. That's what I've done & couldn't be happier.

#12 Posted by david61983 (150 posts) -

What I want to know is, are the PS4 and Xbone incapable of playing PS3 and 360 discs or could that be made possible with a firmware update? In other words, are Sony and MS purposely not allowing backwards capability because they want to sell more PS3s and 360s when current ones break and people are forced to buy a replacement?

#13 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69895 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thegamingjunkie said:

Yeah, I definitely agree. Sony learned that lesson with the launch of the PS3. Never underestimate the importance of keeping costs down, especially during the first year of a new system launch. While it would've been cool if the PS4 was fully backwards compatible with the PS3, I think Sony did the right thing by focusing the PS4's hardware exclusively on the next gen. They designed this generation's most powerful console at a reasonable price.

Eventually, as this gen progresses, we'll definitely get some kind of emulation for the PS3 on the PS4. However, if people really want to continue playing their PS3 & have an available HDMI slot on their TV, just keep your PS3 hooked up as well so you can have the best of both worlds. That's what I've done & couldn't be happier.

That's why i think they created PS Now, they want to give people the possibility for it and have observed that they want to make it possible for people to experience older games while making money off it. If they had bundled the CELL and the camera, the PS4 would have had the same cost of the X1 or more. That's why they went the route with doing the barebones PS4 and having PS Now as an option. Also nobody is forcing you to sell your ps3

#14 Posted by RossRichard (2331 posts) -

I bought my games once already, why should I have to pay to be able to play them on my PS4?

#15 Posted by MethodManFTW (25523 posts) -

That wasn't really an option. I can't remember if it is the CELL or RSX memory, but I remember reading the mfg plant for one of those shut down. And what do you mean "all the controversy" not having BC is causing? I haven't seen any controversy over that. :O

#16 Posted by MethodManFTW (25523 posts) -

I bought my games once already, why should I have to pay to be able to play them on my PS4?

Because that is through a different service that is not free...

Just keep your PS3 if you want to replay PS3 games.

#17 Posted by goatman1 (23 posts) -

Hopefully Playstation Now will use the same SEN information needed to login to the PSN, and that if a user has PS+, that either the subscription will come included with membership, or that it will be available at a discounted price, because I sure as heck would not like to pay for one more subscription at full price per month. If I could do one or the other I would pick PS Now over +. On another note, I don't have to worry about BC anyways seeing that I have a first gen PS3 (meaning hardware PS2 (CECHB model w/Emotion chip) as well as emulated PS1 BC) that is still in great condition and a PS4. Also, cloud gaming is really only supposed to fix the latency issues that gamers experience with large environment games or games that push the graphical limits of the previous systems, such as TLoU or GoW 3, in addition to opening up a potentially huge gaming library in the future. I would say that the most low lag game I've played so far on the PS3 would have to be Dead Space 2, which operated with hardly any lag whatsoever. Only time I ever saw lag was when there were so many Necromorphs in a small area that there was some, and only some, lag time. The games I have played where lag becomes an extreme issue after so many hours of gameplay would have to be the ME trilogy. Mix large environments with the need to save constantly and you'll have a pretty slow game after a while. Moreover, Sony needs this subscription based money so that better servers can be established for a much better online gaming experience, though some people may make the argument that the PS4 servers, which Sony devotes the majority of its internet time to, aren't any better than the PS3 servers, while others say the PS4 servers are ten times better than the PS3 servers because the money for PS+ goes to making those servers better. Whatever the case, Sony needs to make its money somehow because while us gamers enjoy online games (though I don't play many myself tbh), Sony and other game companies with servers need to pay their bills to keep the servers going, or else they get shut down by whoever they need to pay to, be it companies that supply internet, electricity (I can only imagine the electric bills that the Sony managers have to pay on server runtimes alone), etc. Lastly, before I finally shut up, is that even when PS Now is released, it's going to see its fair share of performance bugs in the early stages, so naturally people will start complaining about the service in the beginning. Let Sony do their thing and hopefully the consumer base will be happy with the eventual outcome.

#18 Posted by RossRichard (2331 posts) -

@RossRichard said:

Because that is through a different service that is not free...

Just keep your PS3 if you want to replay PS3 games.

My point exactly.

/thread

#19 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69895 posts) -

I really want to know how many games they will have at launch

#20 Edited by thegamingjunkie (171 posts) -

@Lhomity I haven't thought about future compatibility yet, good point. But I guess the question is when? PS5 might be it, it'll be great if its on the PS5, but I think they're going for PS6 or something else? PS5 is a possiblity, but it might be like, because PS3 had the BC for PS and PS2, so PS6 will have BC for PS4 and PS5? I hope sony can think of something smart to not only give them business but actually satisfy gamers and consumers :)

@MethodManFTW Lol controversy with small groups of gamers I suppose, everyone has their own opinion, with some people having to not like the PS4 because of the BC. I mean its a smart idea, making people buy PS3 for the PS3 games, but from a gamer's point of view, its less convenient of course.

@The_Last_Ride I really hope they will add in some big-name games.

But I'm just curious, for PS Now, will we be able to 'Rent It' only? And if we subscribe/pay for like, a month or year, will we have access to a bunch of games for a temporary time or permanently? And are we allowed to like actually "buy" the digital copies for our PS4 and have them permanently?

Well, to conclude, I'm happy the PS4 didn't add in the BC because 1.) the price would be so much higher, 2.) we are moving towards the future with this next-gen console 3.) I'm guessing the PS4 would work a lot better and more efficient with 'just PS4 games' and not take on the load of having to read PS3 games too. However, I'm just not a big 'pay-service' person :)

#21 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69895 posts) -

@Lhomity I haven't thought about future compatibility yet, good point. But I guess the question is when? PS5 might be it, it'll be great if its on the PS5, but I think they're going for PS6 or something else? PS5 is a possiblity, but it might be like, because PS3 had the BC for PS and PS2, so PS6 will have BC for PS4 and PS5? I hope sony can think of something smart to not only give them business but actually satisfy gamers and consumers :)

@MethodManFTW Lol controversy with small groups of gamers I suppose, everyone has their own opinion, with some people having to not like the PS4 because of the BC. I mean its a smart idea, making people buy PS3 for the PS3 games, but from a gamer's point of view, its less convenient of course.

@The_Last_Ride I really hope they will add in some big-name games.

But I'm just curious, for PS Now, will we be able to 'Rent It' only? And if we subscribe/pay for like, a month or year, will we have access to a bunch of games for a temporary time or permanently? And are we allowed to like actually "buy" the digital copies for our PS4 and have them permanently?

Well, to conclude, I'm happy the PS4 didn't add in the BC because 1.) the price would be so much higher, 2.) we are moving towards the future with this next-gen console 3.) I'm guessing the PS4 would work a lot better and more efficient with 'just PS4 games' and not take on the load of having to read PS3 games too. However, I'm just not a big 'pay-service' person :)

I know games like inFamous, Killzone and The Last of Us are in the beta