ps3 dualshock controller broken, won't turn on

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by tc3king (157 posts) -

My son took my dualshock to a friends house and tried to play wireless, it wouldn't turn on so he tried to charge it thinking it was dead. The lights flashed but it would still not turn on even with usb attached. I tried it at home on my ps3 same thing. I left it charge for hours and no luck. I also tried pushing the reset button on the backtoo, but nothing. I took it apart to make sure battery was plugged in and I checked the voltage, it was all good. Is there anything else to try or should I throw the damn thing in the garbage. I can't believe that the friends ps3 would have done anything to it, the controller doesn't know what ps3 it is connecting to, it just is supposed to connect right?

#2 Posted by emitsu97 (10720 posts) -
Once you pair it with the PS3 via USB it should be fine. My brother brings his DS3 over and pairs it no problem.
#3 Posted by tc3king (157 posts) -

I know that it should have no problem connecting with ANY ps3.I am assuming that it is just coincidence that my son took itto a friends when it decided to break. I just want to know if there is anyone that had the same problem with the controller not turning on at all...either wirelessly or with the usb attached?

#4 Posted by shabab12 (2613 posts) -
Have you tried the reset button on the back?
#5 Posted by CanadianCR (3824 posts) -

Have you tried the reset button on the back?shabab12

:lol: Didn't read it did you?

#6 Posted by RotaryRX7 (7182 posts) -
Even though you already tried it, I would keep messing with that reset button while the controller is hooked up to your PS3 via the USB cable and trying to connect. If you pressed the reset button while the controller was off it may not have an effect. (not sure, just guessing)
#7 Posted by tc3king (157 posts) -

I will try it again, but I played with it for a while. It's almost seems like the ps button is not working. I might take it apart again and check out that button, see if it is stuck in the down position or something, I don't know what else totry.

#8 Posted by tc3king (157 posts) -

Anybody else with some input. I can't believe I am the only one posting on here that has had this happen. Reset button is doing nothing, so I wonder if I called sony if they'd help me out.

#9 Posted by mjk400 (366 posts) -

Maybe your son sat on it at his friends house and just doesn't want to tell you he broke it. That's the only thing I could think of.

#10 Posted by fONZERELi33 (1 posts) -
u ever get it working? i got the same problem now. my controller will not turn on at all, not even when its connected to the usb cable
#11 Posted by StealthMonkey4 (7041 posts) -

My son took my dualshock to a friends house and tried to play wireless, it wouldn't turn on so he tried to charge it thinking it was dead. The lights flashed but it would still not turn on even with usb attached. I tried it at home on my ps3 same thing. I left it charge for hours and no luck. I also tried pushing the reset button on the backtoo, but nothing. I took it apart to make sure battery was plugged in and I checked the voltage, it was all good. Is there anything else to try or should I throw the damn thing in the garbage. I can't believe that the friends ps3 would have done anything to it, the controller doesn't know what ps3 it is connecting to, it just is supposed to connect right?

tc3king
Same thing happened to me. Just plug it in the USB and leave it for a day or two and see if it works. I did that for mine and it works fine now.
#12 Posted by davorad (1 posts) -
I had a similar problem after cleaning a sixaxis controller (no response at all, even when plugged in). I found that when i had put it back together the internal cover over the reset switch had shifted and was not allowing the controller to reset. Once i fixed this up the controller worked fine.
#13 Posted by kinglazy213 (1 posts) -

yeah my controller wont turn on not even the red lights turn on it just stays off i even press the reset buttom do anything it just wont turn on

i plug it in the usb and press the ps buttom and noting i press the reset then the ps buttom and still noting is there anything i can do to fix this

problem? :question:

#15 Posted by P-Shug (210 posts) -

The same thing happened to me with a dual shock controller i had for 3 months it just died. iI turned off the console with the controller then went to pick it up the next day and nothing happened no lights came on the controller even when i hooked it up to usb.

Icalled sony as i wasnt too happy, they said that i needed a receipt to prove that it was under the manufacturers warranty. I explained to them that the dual shock 3 hadnt even been available for a year as i picked it up at launch however they wouldnt accept it. So I then told them that Iwas going to go buy another one then stick the broken one back in the new box and take it back to the store with reciept to get a refund or another "free" controller the person on the phone told me not to as it wasnt legal i laughed at them and said that they didnt leave me much option. Not my proudest moment though i admit but i didnt have much choice

#16 Posted by lordfalsus (527 posts) -

this happened to mine but i spilled liqour on it so it was expected... maybe your son got it wait or dropped it and isnt telling you

#17 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -
Might wanna check your son didn't the old "Switch-a-roo" from his mate....
#18 Posted by uesuva (1 posts) -
Mine are working, but they're defaulting to 2, not 1?

Get your Portable ID!
#19 Posted by risako9 (840 posts) -

^ hold the PS button and re-assign it.

#20 Posted by xsynth (864 posts) -
we really need something to auto-lock threads once they reach around 6 months of no posting
#21 Posted by risako9 (840 posts) -

^crap sorry wasn't looking at the date.

#22 Posted by gamerfan85 (652 posts) -

Time to invest in a move then!

#23 Posted by dribblingd (1 posts) -
I found that it was either the chord or the Usn port on the ps3 that was bad so I switched those out and now it works fine
#24 Posted by StealthMonkey4 (7041 posts) -

I found that it was either the chord or the Usn port on the ps3 that was bad so I switched those out and now it works finedribblingd

Hey look guys I'm level 1 and bump two year old topics.