PS3 doesn't turn TV on

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by waldirluiz (1 posts) -

Hi!

Why can't my PS3, connected to a Sony Bravia LCD TV by a HDMI cable, turn it on automatically? My Sony DVD does it normally and I like this feature very much.I thought it was a default function on HDMI gadgets...

#2 Posted by EmyrsII (286 posts) -

i have never ever heard of that before...sounds like a cool feature.. but why not just use the power button? your going to have to change the channel to HDMI input anyway.. seems like something insignificant to make a fuss over...

#3 Posted by BladeOfHeaven (6027 posts) -
never heard of that before :?
#4 Posted by onthalookout (1123 posts) -
My LG is connected by HDMI and it doesn't auto turn on my TV, I know what you're trying to explain though and it would be nice to just hit the PS button then the PS3 turn on then the TV turn on auto on the correct HDMI input.
#5 Posted by TSNAKE617 (5494 posts) -

Sounds like a good idea for Sony to add that feature to the PS3.

Why does everyone beat me to an idea due to same time posting!!!

#6 Posted by HarshGamer (2822 posts) -

Switch the DVD output, with the PS3 output and check if that's why it doesn't turn on. Great feature though.

#7 Posted by sportwarrior (2460 posts) -
Are you sure that the DVD player is actually turning on your TV? Or is the power button on your DVD remote synched up to both the TV and the DVD player?
#8 Posted by Choco_Taco (573 posts) -

Its because products of the same brand are usually synced via the remote. Its not because its connected to each other. For example, my old Sony CRT remote was able to turn off my tv, dvd, and surround sound all with the press of a button without having to program it because they had the same IR signal. It won't be possible with the PS3 unless you buy a USB IR sensor or future universal remotes have bluetooth capabilities.

EDIT: I just remembered a buddy of mine, that does home installations, told me that even with an IR sensor the system has to be turned on with the controller:( He did say that Logitech might be making a bluetooth enabled Harmony remote:)

#9 Posted by death_bomber56 (2 posts) -
my tv does do it with my blu ray player but it wont for my ps3.
#10 Posted by MERC_RECONN (2971 posts) -

Hi!

Why can't my PS3, connected to a Sony Bravia LCD TV by a HDMI cable, turn it on automatically? My Sony DVD does it normally and I like this feature very much.I thought it was a default function on HDMI gadgets...

waldirluiz

I guess it's just a function that Sony didn't think was important....I can't say that I blame them. lol

#11 Posted by TheTenth10 (3039 posts) -
only works with Peritel, not HDMI
#12 Posted by jshaas (2409 posts) -

Hi!

waldirluiz

It's because your Sony TV and Sony DVD player have a feature called "BRAVIA Sync". It's something that Sony has introduced for use with some of their products. It basically allows you to set your components to turn on with the touch of one button. I believe you can also set which components turn on (and in what order), depending on what your going to be doing... movie, tv, music, etc. The PS3 does not have this feature (the PS3 was released before Sony introduced BRAVIA Sync). The feature does require an HDMI cable connection, but it's not the HDMI cable that makes it happen.

So, to answer your question... The PS3 is not equipped with BRAVIA Sync, and can not turn on your TV regardless of HDMI. This feature is exclusive to certain Sony products. I don't know if other manufacturers have something similar. This link explains it pretty well.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Cinema/Accessories/V8A2R6X2

#13 Posted by Mckenna1845 (4410 posts) -
it's something to do with hdmi, scart leads automatically change my tv to the correct av setting. When sky fitted my hd box they said hdmi doesn't do it for whatever reason.
#14 Posted by Nuck81 (5834 posts) -
want it to make you dinner too?
#15 Posted by theusnna (1 posts) -
I took my playstation 3 to my friends house and connected it to his lcd with HDMI cable and switched everything to HDMI. Know that I have my play station at home and I connected it with the basic video and audio cables and the playstation comes on but nothing comes on the tv what could it be. This happend to my friend PS3 as well how do I fix this problem. Any info will be appriciated thanks
#16 Posted by Risitance (538 posts) -
Try holding the power button for about 5 seconds.
#17 Posted by CraigyM83 (648 posts) -
I took my playstation 3 to my friends house and connected it to his lcd with HDMI cable and switched everything to HDMI. Know that I have my play station at home and I connected it with the basic video and audio cables and the playstation comes on but nothing comes on the tv what could it be. This happend to my friend PS3 as well how do I fix this problem. Any info will be appriciated thankstheusnna
Your ps3's display settings have set to your friends tv (hdmi) and they're different from what your tv can show, not sure on how to change it but sure someone can help
#18 Posted by arikkot (751 posts) -

want it to make you dinner too?Nuck81

I have my friend's Xbox 360 to make me dinner. I turn it on for three minutes and once it immediately overheats I fry eggs on it.

#19 Posted by ENDOT12123 (1223 posts) -

i have never ever heard of that before...sounds like a cool feature.. but why not just use the power button? your going to have to change the channel to HDMI input anyway.. seems like something insignificant to make a fuss over...

EmyrsII
if my tv is on and i turn my ps3 on it changes to HDMI automatically
#20 Posted by ENDOT12123 (1223 posts) -
it's something to do with hdmi, scart leads automatically change my tv to the correct av setting. When sky fitted my hd box they said hdmi doesn't do it for whatever reason.Mckenna1845
my hdmi changes to the correct av settings when i turn my ps3 on , it never did that with my scart tho lol i must live in vice verca land xD
#21 Posted by Amster_G (4289 posts) -

Cool feature, but a little too much in my opinion. I mean, it's nothing to complain about if your device doesn't do that. How much more lazy are we going to get.

Does this feature turn OFF your TV once you power down the device? Because that'd be annoying.