PS3 & WiFi: Booster?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I'm trying to use my PS3 in a part of my home which is not near my router... Has anyone used a booster? If so, what does a good job? My router has nice, strong signal everywhere in the house-proper, but when it comes to my recreation room, the PS3 has a hard time seeing reliable signal, lately (bounces between 58%-72% signal strength according to the "Network Test", causing disconnects and lag - Signal is VERY strong in the house but not so good in the man-cave)... Hard-wire is not an option nor is moving the current router position, and getting the ISP to install a bridge or wire the rec room with a split to the antenna (Hi-Speed is provided by arial, and it's great, reliable service) is a pricey proposition... I'm lookig for a receiver to add onto my PS3 via the ethernet port, or something of that sort I think...

... Suggestions?

PS - I'm a gamer in the US.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by GTR12 (9070 posts) -

Just get a powerline adapter.

#3 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Just get a powerline adapter.

GTR12

Will Google said product... Thanks for taking the time to answer. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a break-down on exactly what these things actually do... Because my router is no slouch, so how does something like this "relay" the signal in a stronger or more direct fashion than the antennae on my router in the first place? I could see if I had a cruddy, low-power broadcast router to begin with, that these might be an aid... But I'm not quite grok-ing...

Sorry, I'm just looking for tech (how-it-works) information, and amazon.com doesn't exactly provide that. Googles bring up a lot of stuff for sale, but very little on the "how-why" of the things...

Thank you very much for your help, so far, GTR12.

:)

#4 Posted by GTR12 (9070 posts) -

Powerline is very simple to understand, essentially it turns every powerline in your house into a network cable.

Instead of a 100m network cable stretching from the router to the PS3, which is ugly looking and in your case impractical, you plug in a ethernet cable into one of your router's ports (I assumed you have a spare port) and 1 of the powerline adapters goes into a power socket nearby.

The other powerline adapter goes near your PS3 (or your case, mancave :P) and the ethernet plugs into the PS3 obviously.

What you just did was create a network using the power cables in your house while keeping it also tidy.

Now this is faster than wireless (max of 54Mbps for PS3) but it MAY not be as fast as only a ethernet (thats a big MAY there depending on your internal house wiring and such). You could end up with a 100Mbit connection or more than likely somewhere between 70-90Mbit.

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

#5 Posted by kriggy (845 posts) -
I bought a power line adapter last week after putting up with a 10% signal strength for a large period of time. Now I don't regret my purchase one bit, I have a constant 100-90% signal and I never get kicked out of the servers while playing bf3. The one I bought was a TP-link TL-WA850RE, it was easy to install using my laptop because the explanations were very throughout.
#6 Posted by GTR12 (9070 posts) -

LOL you used a laptop to install it, whats so hard? one end goes near the router, the other end goes  near the PS3

#7 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Powerline is very simple to understand, essentially it turns every powerline in your house into a network cable.

Instead of a 100m network cable stretching from the router to the PS3, which is ugly looking and in your case impractical, you plug in a ethernet cable into one of your router's ports (I assumed you have a spare port) and 1 of the powerline adapters goes into a power socket nearby.

The other powerline adapter goes near your PS3 (or your case, mancave :P) and the ethernet plugs into the PS3 obviously.

What you just did was create a network using the power cables in your house while keeping it also tidy.

Now this is faster than wireless (max of 54Mbps for PS3) but it MAY not be as fast as only a ethernet (thats a big MAY there depending on your internal house wiring and such). You could end up with a 100Mbit connection or more than likely somewhere between 70-90Mbit.

GTR12

AHHHHH!!! I see... So it's like those old intercom systems back in the 1970s!!! Very-good... THANK YOU for explaining it!!! I sincerely appreciate it.

:D

#8 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

GTR12
I don't need this anymore but, this would have helped me a million times in the past very interesting
#9 Posted by KHAndAnime (13298 posts) -

GTR12
This is easily the coolest thing I never knew about. I wish I had some of these to replace my WRT54GL routers - I could be getting 20x the speeds :(
#10 Posted by GTR12 (9070 posts) -

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

KHAndAnime

This is easily the coolest thing I never knew about. I wish I had some of these to replace my WRT54GL routers - I could be getting 20x the speeds :(

This is exactly what people assume will happen (20x the speed of wireless), its not always the case. My situation illistrates this point perfectly, I have a rather small house but its a brick house and very old (I think 1950's or something), so anyways my router signal won't reach the other end properly (about 15-20% signal), so I have 2 routers using a powerline between them.

That gives a theoretical speed of 300Mbps (Its a 300Mbps powerline adapter, some netcomm free one), but since its a old house and the wiring isn't that modern, I get 110Mbps between the 2, yes thats less than half...

Wireless N is faster than that, so it entirely depends on your electrical wiring.