PS3 40 gig problems?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Billionare-Boy (170 posts) -

I just bought the 40 gig model of the PS3 and I was just wondering if anyone had major problems with it. I don't have any, mine works perfectly but I want to know what problems may arise in the future and how to avoid them if possible.

Shpank you

#2 Posted by the4got10one (781 posts) -
Only major problem I heard of is that it freezes a lot compared to the other models.
#3 Posted by bochero (472 posts) -
Unless you want to use any ps1 and ps2 games your fine.
#4 Posted by Billionare-Boy (170 posts) -
whats the deal with PS1 games? I play ff 7 8 9 all the time on it it seems to work fine, and i have a ps2 for my ps2 gaming needs :p.
#5 Posted by RMANPOWER (2734 posts) -

Nothing wrong with my 40 gig.

Just make sure you leave enough space so it could breath.

#6 Posted by mbrockway (3493 posts) -

whats the deal with PS1 games? I play ff 7 8 9 all the time on it it seems to work fine, and i have a ps2 for my ps2 gaming needs :p.Billionare-Boy

The 40gb plays ps1 games fine. All ps3's use software emulation for ps1 games. So do psp's I suppose. He was mistaken.

#7 Posted by aaron5829 (1539 posts) -
Only major problem I heard of is that it freezes a lot compared to the other models. the4got10one
Erm, not true.
#8 Posted by dangerd0g (239 posts) -
i have the same model and one time i was going to play a game but it did not read the disk so i restarted it and it worked fine.
#9 Posted by theamitgoyal (173 posts) -

Just keep updating your firmware and u shud be fine...

My assassin;s creed disc didnt work initially but once I updated it was good to go... been at it ever since :D

#10 Posted by bdog2000 (1 posts) -
PS3 40gig model is not like the others. It uses cheaper, off-the-shelf internal hardware that SONY thought would save them a LOT of money only the equipment is clearly substandard. It is wildly prone to failure. I'm on my 2nd PS3 40gig and the drive has failed again. Despite what SONY fans and SONY PR-employees suppress out there in the press, it is NOT a few isolated incidents and these things are pure junk.

I smell a C-action lawsuit in the NEAR future. Someone definitely needs to report this to the FTC. SONY really should be ashamed of trying to save a buck by shafting their fans and users.

Best of luck.
#11 Posted by ps320071 (285 posts) -
no problems for me
#12 Posted by cloud_strife007 (160 posts) -
I've had mine for about 2 weeks and it freezed up twice on me already. Both times while playing Oblivion: Game of the year Edition, so maybe its the game. I'm pretty sure I had downloads running in the background each time too. I still love my PS3 though.
#13 Posted by newfg311 (816 posts) -
I've had mine since November and I've never had a single issue with it other than some issues with NHL 08, but those were issues that were known to happen only with that game.
#14 Posted by soulreaper-4 (2247 posts) -

Unless you want to use any ps1 and ps2 games your fine.bochero

You can play PS1 games in the 40 GB ps3.

#15 Posted by Chutebox (37644 posts) -

PS3 40gig model is not like the others. It uses cheaper, off-the-shelf internal hardware that SONY thought would save them a LOT of money only the equipment is clearly substandard. It is wildly prone to failure. I'm on my 2nd PS3 40gig and the drive has failed again. Despite what SONY fans and SONY PR-employees suppress out there in the press, it is NOT a few isolated incidents and these things are pure junk.

I smell a C-action lawsuit in the NEAR future. Someone definitely needs to report this to the FTC. SONY really should be ashamed of trying to save a buck by shafting their fans and users.

Best of luck. bdog2000

So, what's your original account name?

40gig is fine TS. There are no issues known and it just doesn't play Ps2 games, but it does play Ps1 games.

#16 Posted by soulreaper-4 (2247 posts) -

I have mine since December and i haven't have a problem.

#17 Posted by lethal18 (636 posts) -
mine just froze once while playing Uncharted but thats all.
#18 Posted by dkhw (4045 posts) -

[QUOTE="bdog2000"]PS3 40gig model is not like the others. It uses cheaper, off-the-shelf internal hardware that SONY thought would save them a LOT of money only the equipment is clearly substandard. It is wildly prone to failure. I'm on my 2nd PS3 40gig and the drive has failed again. Despite what SONY fans and SONY PR-employees suppress out there in the press, it is NOT a few isolated incidents and these things are pure junk.

Best of luck. Chutebox

So, what's your original account name?

40gig is fine TS. There are no issues known and it just doesn't play Ps2 games, but it does play Ps1 games.

Well, it might just be me, but mine stopped playing Blu-rays. Everything else worked fine, but it just couldn't play any movies or games. Luckily, Bestbuy took it back, and now it has no problems whatsoever.

#19 Posted by MP40- (1 posts) -
How much was the 40 Gig ? im thinking about buying one and some one told me its only about $299.99 ?
#20 Posted by Obeyme4IamGod (1 posts) -
I have a 40gig PS3 and within the first year it stopped reading disks and would keep freezing on me. I sent it in and they fixed the disk problem. I got it back and the first day I played it it froze up on me again. I would be playing any of my games and the controller and bluetooth headset would stop working as if the receiver for the bluetooth in the PS3 stopped working. After the first time I sent it in I had an extra 90 day warranty and I sent it in again to be fixed since it keeps freezing on me and they are sending a replacement 40gig even though those are the ones that mess up often and I don't get a year warranty for the replacement, only a 90day. I'm pretty pissed off with Sony right now.
#21 Posted by GodofBigMacs (6440 posts) -
PS1 games work on all models, dude...
#22 Posted by kramer_inc (1297 posts) -
I've had mine about a year it's frozen up one time playing bioshock. Other than that no problems.
#23 Posted by DeathTemplar (172 posts) -
I've had mine since April and the only issue i have is it freezes when i am playing Fallout three now and then, but i think thats an issue with the game, not my system. since thats the only game it freezes with.
#24 Posted by videogamer_ps (225 posts) -
no problems here:) few times games like assassin's creed, fallout 3 frozed on me..., and uncharted has frozen on me just once, but those are the disc problems not the 40gb itself:)
#25 Posted by dkjestrup (1214 posts) -
Mine stopped reading discs!
#26 Posted by 360hammer (2596 posts) -
40 gig Spiderman 3 bundle, No problems. UT3 froze like crazy, traded it in, I have since upgraded the hard drive and havn't had a problem. IMO upgrading the hard drive is one of the best things you can do.
#27 Posted by pukmok (775 posts) -

It works with ps1 games.

#28 Posted by ASRCSR (2793 posts) -
I have had it for 7 months and it has only froze maybe 4 or 5 times. Other than that no problems at all
#29 Posted by one_on_one (2368 posts) -
I've only read that a few 40gb have disc reading problems, but other than that, they're fine. The most problems reported are with the launch skus like the 20 and 60gb.
#30 Posted by bct90 (5 posts) -

mine freezes every now and then, i think its becouse the hard drive is almost full.

#31 Posted by optic0n (307 posts) -

mine just crapped out on me today. No problems until today. My Blu-Ray lense died out. It wont detect,load or play Blu-Ray movies or PS3 games, but plays PS1 games and regular DVDs fine. Now I gotta get it serviced :(