PS2 games coming to PSN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts

Source:
http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/03/new-psn-campaign-brings-ps2-games-to-ps3/

Wonder if they will be playable on Vita too.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Finally. :3 I wonder how that's possible without BC in the PS3.
-Grieves-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Grieves-
Member since 2007 • 1708 Posts

Is this news? I've been playing Beyond Good and Evil HD for a while now...or is it PS2 games that haven't been re-mastered?

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#4 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Why don't they just remaster them.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
Finally. :3 I wonder how that's possible without BC in the PS3.MushroomWig
thats why they removed PS2 BC , so they can sell the games again via PSN
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MushroomWig
[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]Finally. :3 I wonder how that's possible without BC in the PS3.AmnesiaHaze
thats why they removed PS2 BC , so they can sell the games again via PSN

That wouldn't surprise me. xD
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
depends on the prices. if they're $15 up no thanks..i can get those games for way cheaper at my local retro VG store and own the actual disc
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
if its true then God Hand i'll get
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

That's good news. There are plenty of PS2 games I just never got around to playing, and it would be nice to have them available for the PS3. I could never really get into the PS1 classics because they just seem so incredibly primitive these days, not even any analog stick controls. But PS2 games are really like current gen games except for the graphics.

Vodka_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vodka_FTW
Member since 2011 • 74 Posts
depends on the prices. if they're $15 up no thanks..i can get those games for way cheaper at my local retro VG store and own the actual discLP4EVA2005
Well it doesn't apply to people who sold their Ps3's
evilgamer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 evilgamer22
Member since 2009 • 2408 Posts

That's good news. There are plenty of PS2 games I just never got around to playing, and it would be nice to have them available for the PS3. I could never really get into the PS1 classics because they just seem so incredibly primitive these days, not even any analog stick controls. But PS2 games are really like current gen games except for the graphics.

Jackc8

Yeah, I missed out on some good games too and I don't have my PS2 anymore. Actually I've never played any of those games that they are releasing this week. I wonder if they are any good, Odin Sphere is the only one on that list that I have heard of.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
I know they won't put much work into them, but since there is no hardware compatibility or emulator that means they have to at least do something to get it running (i.e. software emulator or port it to PS3 code). If they have to do that, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please set the games to have some AA and 720P. If these are just dumped to PSN like PS1 classics I'll be a bit disappointed. There's really no point to that.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MushroomWig
There's really no point to that.2Chalupas
Except the fun of playing classic Playstation 2 games.
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Okami, Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2, Dark Cloud 1 & 2, Rogue Galaxy, and the Shadow Hearts trilogy please!

Knowing Sony, if they release their own games (Dark Cloud 1 & 2 and Rogue Galaxy) then they'll definitely get the HD treatment. Third-party titles though are unlikely. :( It's still sweet to see these games released for this generation of gamers.

whiteLion64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whiteLion64
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

Jackc8

you get to try personna 3-4,mana khemia:alchesmist of al revis,mana khemia 2:falll of alchemy,dark cloud 2,star ocean 3 till the end of time,suikoden 3 and 5 (you can also have suikoden 1 on psn now) awesome rpg

romancing of the three kingdom 11 if you like strategy war games.resident evil 4 and the metal gear series 2-3

they are good game.you get to try onimusha 2 and 3 if possible take the pack 1-2-3.the mortal kombat series is not so bad like MKombat armagedon.

not to mention grand theft auto san andreas that i did'nt have time to play yet but one day i'll try it out.it seem awesome too

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Playstation 2 games coming to Playstation 3. Great news if that is going to happen. But I guess Sony is going to have to create a Playstation 2 software emulator and have it available for download. They took out PS2 software emulation in the Second Generation Playstation 3 consoles. The first version of the 80Giger and the Pal region 60Gigers. The myth of a downlaodable Playstation 2 general software emulator promised for 3rd Generation PS3 consoles the Second version 80Giger and the PS3 40giger. The first manufaturing runs of the 40/80 3rd Gen PS3 were supposed to be capable of running this Playstation 2 software patch. The myth of the general PS2 software emulator that never happened.

So unless Sony has found a way to allow current Playstation 3 slimline consoles to use a software patch to be able to play downloaded Playstation 2 titles from the PSN store. The current PS3 slims do not allow PS2 games to be played and there is not downloadable software patch which could enable PS2 games to be played vis download on PS3.

If the Upcoming new Playstation 3's The second generation PS3 slims. Now available in Japan. The latest Playstation 3 320Gigers which is slightly lighter and smaller than the current PS3 Slims 120GB/160GB/250GB/first Generation 320GB consoles. This revision also removes the AV muli out and the optical out ports. Sony will be removing the function to be able to play Blu-Ray movies with the now standerd AV cables/Composite cables. Due to some issue with Blu-ray Licensing fees. Or to comply with Blu-Ray industry standards.

So this lastest revison of the Playstation 3 hardware is similar to the change from PS2 slimline 7001 series to the PS2 slimline 9001 series. Very minor in size and external cosmetic appearence. So unless Sony is making changes to the motherboard to allow the use of a downloadable software patch to the newest versions of the Playstation 3 slims Which thus far is only available in 320GB HDD. Maybe the PS2 emulator add on which was hinted at, but never saw release will provide a PS2 solution for older PS3 slimlines in order for Playstation 2 games to be played when purchased via download off the PSN store.

So hopefully PS2 games will be coming to the PSN store.So maybe the new Playstation 3 Slim (or slightly "Slimer" line) will have the ability to play PS3 downloaded games from the store.

I shall believe it when it happens. Sony has learned that Playstation 2 HD collections sell so it is unlikely that PS2 games will make it to PSN. I would love it but I don't see that happening. Even though it is possible.

Make it happen Sony. Rave over....

darfreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 darfreeze
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

Better late than never. ;)