Problem with PS3 Slim overheating. Any solutions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

My PS3 is on a shelf over my TV, it has another shelf over it and an open back. I've been having problems with a few certian games that make it get very hot. Can't even play for 30 mins without the fan getting loud. What should I do?

#2 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Buy an Xbox... lol, jk.

Aren't the PS3's vents on the sideof the unit? Is there plenty of space around there? Also do you have the original HDD in it or have you upgraded. A few people find their units gets very hot when they upgrade their hard drive and use a 7200 RPM drive (standard is 5400 rpm).

Finally give this a go. Raise the PS3 off the group by a couple of inches to allow air flow underneath the unit. This should dramatically improve the amount of time between starting the system and the secondary fan kicking in.

If that works you can buy cooling stands for the PS3 that will make your problem a thing of the past.In the meantime acouple of books on either side with a gap underneath should be good enough for you to test (no use buying a stand for your PS3 until you've tested it works right)?.

#3 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
try putting it in another location. remember, your ps3 needs well ventilated on all four sides.
#4 Posted by GramDubs (636 posts) -

vacuum out all the vents, and its summer, so you should play it in an air-conditioned room, and to the guy above me who said to get an xbox.....LOLOLOL, tthe xbox overheats and dies on you, the ps3 overheats and has extra fans that kick in.

#5 Posted by RTUUM-3 (30 posts) -
Tape an ice pack to it, thats what I did to my PS3 once and it work, but of course that only last like 2 hours
#6 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

Buy an Xbox... lol, jk.

Aren't the PS3's vents on the sideof the unit? Is there plenty of space around there? Also do you have the original HDD in it or have you upgraded. A few people find their units gets very hot when they upgrade their hard drive and use a 7200 RPM drive (standard is 5400 rpm).

Finally give this a go. Raise the PS3 off the group by a couple of inches to allow air flow underneath the unit. This should dramatically improve the amount of time between starting the system and the secondary fan kicking in.

If that works you can buy cooling stands for the PS3 that will make your problem a thing of the past.In the meantime acouple of books on either side with a gap underneath should be good enough for you to test (no use buying a stand for your PS3 until you've tested it works right)?.

The Slims vents are on the back. The fat versions vents are on the sides.
#7 Posted by evilmaster2424 (2060 posts) -
you could always use like a regulkaar floor fan and just have that cool off your ps3. im telling you it will definelty work.
#8 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

Would buying an exernal fan help at all?

#9 Posted by evilmaster2424 (2060 posts) -

Would buying an exernal fan help at all?

GD-1369211121
thats wut i sed. yes it will work. just aslong as its possitioned corectly
#10 Posted by lordfalsus (527 posts) -

ive honestly never heard of a slim over heating... nor have i ever heard my ps3s fan. how long have you had that unit?

#11 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

ive honestly never heard of a slim over heating... nor have i ever heard my ps3s fan. how long have you had that unit?

lordfalsus
Under a year.
#12 Posted by lordfalsus (527 posts) -
[QUOTE="GD-1369211121"][QUOTE="lordfalsus"]

Under a year.

thats random? have you ever had a phat ps3? cuz when that fan kicked in it was like a hoover vacum... do you know how loud it is compared to a phat?
#13 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -
[QUOTE="lordfalsus"][QUOTE="GD-1369211121"][QUOTE="lordfalsus"]

Under a year.

thats random? have you ever had a phat ps3? cuz when that fan kicked in it was like a hoover vacum... do you know how loud it is compared to a phat?

Yeah I got the fat on release date, it got pretty loud but never shut itself down because it was overheated. My slim has done that twice.
#14 Posted by lordfalsus (527 posts) -
[QUOTE="lordfalsus"][QUOTE="GD-1369211121"] Under a year.GD-1369211121

Yeah I got the fat on release date, it got pretty loud but never shut itself down because it was overheated. My slim has done that twice.

never have heard that before. maybe you should trade it in and get a new one. while it works that is.. you dont want it to completly break and get stuck having to pay for a new system... on the other hand it is under a 1 year warranty from sony so you might wanna go that route
#15 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -

screw an external fan.. get this TC

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Intercooler+Slim

#16 Posted by Nitro792 (12 posts) -

screw an external fan.. get this TC

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Intercooler+Slim

LP4EVA2005
Why does everybody think intercoolers are the solution to heat!?!?! All they do is restrict air flow and heat up your PS3 more!
#17 Posted by srdjan311 (1247 posts) -

my 80gb gets loud all the time.

#18 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

If the open back is against or near a wall then its just as bad as having no back... the hot air just bounces off the wall causing a build up on heat, if you can tilt the ps3 so it blows the air slightly along the wall. And don't get an intercooler, or extercooler it should be called, if the hot air has nowhere to go then it won't have any effect whatsoever.