Problem with my HDMI cable

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I have gotten my ps3 to work on my tv, but for some reason it won't go HD even though i have HDMI cable in it, when i press that i want to use the HDMI output the screen just goes black

demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

The best way to solve this issue is to turn off your TV and PS3 (unplug both from mains), connect HDMI cable to TV and PS3, turn on the TV (select HDMI as source) and than turn on PS3... PS3 should automatically detect HDMI as its only video output...

If not, maybe you just bought an old and chep cable? Be sure to use at least v1.3 cable. I'm using a v1.4 cable in order to connect my PS3 to Iiyama ProLite E2403EW PC monitor and have no such issues.

Tell me, are you getting this issue on start up or only when you try to watch a DVD?

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
I just have to ask the obvious first; are you sure your tv ìs HD?
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 demon-zer0

I just have to ask the obvious first; are you sure your tv ìs HD?PetJel

Have you seen somewhere a TV with HDMI input that is not at least a HD-ready TV?

My old Samsung LCD (1366x768) can display 1080p through component cable and is not even a HD-ready TV :P

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts

[QUOTE="PetJel"]I just have to ask the obvious first; are you sure your tv ìs HD?demon-zer0

Have you seen somewhere a TV with HDMI input that is not at least a HD-ready TV?

My old Samsung LCD (1366x768) can display 1080p through component cable and is not even a HD-ready TV :P

you can't have 1080P maybe 1080i. the P in 1080 stands for progressive which is when the screen displays the whole image at one time and if your LCD screen is only capable of 768 as then its impossible as its the last figure which is the resolution. My TV is a samsung and gives me 1920×1080 so can do 1080p. the most your tV can do is 1080i which is very different from 1080p, instead of displaying one whole image it will instead only display half the image but showing the odd lines of pixels then it will switch to the even lines then back to odd and it will keep doing this at around 1/30th of a second. its a way to fit a 1080 resolution on smaller resolution screens as its impossible to show all the larger image on a small screen. another downside is that 1080i has alot more blur because of the way they process the image then 1080p. You have to have been mistaken or don't know about resolutions or trying to get away with a white lie....in the words of karl pilkington bu***hit man is needed
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 demon-zer0

You have to have been mistaken or don't know about resolutions or trying to get away with a white lie....in the words of karl pilkington bu***hit man is needed PetJel

Yeah, sorry... my mistake. My TV can display 1080i :P

In any case - interlaced or progressive doesnt matter that much since PS3 can display both over HDMI. Moreover PS3 can automatically detect and choose between 1080i or 1080p. So be a smartass on te essensce of matter... otherwise you're just an ass ;)

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts

[QUOTE="PetJel"]You have to have been mistaken or don't know about resolutions or trying to get away with a white lie....in the words of karl pilkington bu***hit man is needed demon-zer0

Yeah, sorry... my mistake. My TV can display 1080i :P

In any case - interlaced or progressive doesnt matter that much since PS3 can display both over HDMI. Moreover PS3 can automatically detect and choose between 1080i or 1080p. So be a smartass on te essensce of matter... otherwise you're just an ass ;)

Just informing i just saw someone was wrong over the internet and had to step in :) but nah nothing nasty was meant by it i have made that mistake in front of my computer systems lecturer...i could just feel the percentage of my grade falling
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

[QUOTE="PetJel"]I just have to ask the obvious first; are you sure your tv ìs HD?demon-zer0

Wups, I got this thread confused with a thread where someone was plugging in his ps3 on a monitor using a non-hdmi cable. :P