Please school a noob(me) on online multiplayer FPS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kav130r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kav130r
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hi

I recently purchased a PS4 with Last of Us remastered and I've thoroughly enjoyed the game so far. To give some background, I'm and old school Nintendo gamer (2d snes, Mario64, DK, Banjo, Zelda etc). I have very little experience with online FPS games. However, I want to get into online gaming. I've been trying to decide between Destiny and the new COD. Which is better for a noob like me? I don't want a game where they're gonna throw me into a match with a bunch of high level players an i'll get killed every 3 seconds. Do either of these games match you with players of equal skill? I'm also pretty sure that I have to buy access to online through Sony, right? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jude1903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jude1903

I don't think online FPS game will match your skills like E Sport games. You will be faced with high profile killer and get murdered and destroyed until you grow, trust me I have endured through COD to The last of Us.

Don't worry, you will learn fast if you get killed enough. Just don't camp, don't wander alone and look for online tutorial and advice on youtube :)

Btw if you are interested in buying digital games for a nice price check out my thread PSN game sharing service ;)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Call of Duty is very newcomer friendly. Yeah, you'll have a bunch of veterans on there who will probably kick your ass. But there's still a lot of newcomers and people who just aren't that great at the game playing. There should be lobbies for low leveled players, but that only lasts until you're like level 10 and then you have to play with everyone else. I'm not sure if they've really tried to balance the matchmaking since it's been a while since I've played Call of Duty, but from what I remember there's no real balancing system.

Honestly, I just recommend jumping in and having fun. That's the best thing to do when you start out. Yeah, you'll probably suck at first. But you'll get better and better but just continuing to play and learning what to do on your own. I was bad at first with my first online FPS, but I got the hang of it fairly quickly and my K/D ratio broke even after a while. But the better I got, the more competitive I got so it got to the point where it was only fun if I was doing well. So I'd just recommend not taking it too seriously and getting to that point. I'm still like that unfortunately which is why I distance myself from online games anymore.

Oh and for your last question, yeah, you'll need to purchase a PS+ membership if you intend to play games online on the PS4.

Kontrolfreak84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kontrolfreak84

@kav130r: Dude, I can totally help you out. I've been gaming for 26 years and I'm 30. I started with the Atari but I just remember bits and pieces of a gorilla having a princess, and you were a mario looking guy runnning up dodging barrels. Anyway, I have a friend that when he first started, all he would do was try and hide in a corner which other gamers would call "camping" and would get his a$$ handed to him. It was like this for about 2 months, (that's that he would come over 2 days out of the week to game). He's a beast now. The way he said he learned was by watching me... here's a sample. Trust me bro. I won't let you down... Any questions, you can message me thru here or youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT01YrJUBdk

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Just have fun and watch the better players on your team/trail them. I also find it a good idea of running circles around the perimeter of the maps and staying away from getting in the middle.

Also, be entertained by the rage of try hards and dont let nasty comments about how bad you are bother you. Dont get caught up in mud slinging barbs back to toxic players, just avoid.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Pretty much all of the responses where good, but I might also suggest you get a FPS game with bots(virtual enemies) I would suggest COD Ghost from last year, mainly because you can get it dirt cheap now, I'm not sure if this years COD has bots.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Just play whatever online shooter interests you. Ive been playing online for over 15 years and sometimes I still get my ass handed to me. The best part about that is I get to get my revenge the next around :)