Please help. My PS3 won't display in 720p or 1080p anymore.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 BuNKiTZ
Member since 2007 • 422 Posts

The other day, my brother detached the HDMI cable to use it on his laptop with the TV in our room. Then when I was going to use the PS3 yesterday in our living room, the TV simply said "No Signal."

I've encountered this problem before and found out about the video output reset method (while the PS3 is in standby mode, hold down the power button for about 7 seconds until you hear a second beep), it worked and the PS3 was able to display in 720p and 1080p. Another time that happened, I did the same thing but this time, the PS3 only asked if I wanted to output video and audio through the HDMI and didn't ask me afterwards (after I clicked Yes) if I could read the screen, so I went to manually change the video output resolution and ticked the 720p and 1080p boxes and it worked. Though, I initially ticked all the boxes (including 1080i) and it didn't work and then I only ticked 1080p and it worked then later added the 720p and it still worked so I had 480p, 720p and 1080p.

Now, just like the second time, the PS3 didn't ask if I could read the screen so I decided to just manually change the resolution. Except, this time, it doesn't work. Whether I only tick the 720p or 1080p boxes or both at the same time, once I go to the next screen, the screen just goes black and says "No Signal." Even when I press square to "Test Display" with 720p or 1080p, the screen just goes black. I also tried to automatically set the resolution and it just goes black again and returns me to the screen I was previously at.

I'm using the same TV and it had always been able to display in both 720p and 1080p so I don't think the problem is with the TV. I also tried my PS3 on the TV in our room just now and it didn't work as well.

Would any of you happen to know why this happens and how to fix it? :(

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Have you tried swapping out the HDMI cable? Maybe it's the cable that's faulty.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 BuNKiTZ
Member since 2007 • 422 Posts

I haven't tried using another HDMI cable as we don't have any other, but I did try unplugging it and plugging it back in. It didn't work. I'm going to try and find somebody I can borrow an HDMI cable from though, to see if it's the HDMI that's causing the problem.