PlayStation Now 'is a joke', says Pachter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

"PlayStation Now is a joke," he said in the latest issue of Game Informer. "There is no publisher that is going to license content that's less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can't sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental.

"This has no prayer of working. None."

I think Pachter nails it some times when it comes to the industry. But he is completely off. First of all they are going to focus on Sony exclusive games first and also older titles where company can earn money from. I don't see a problem with this at all.

Link

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

Golden rule with Pachter. If he says something will succeed. It will most likely flop. If he says something will flop, it will probably succeed.

Of course, he is right about one thing. New release titles won't be on PS Now anyway. But that's common knowledge. AAA development is simply not sustainable on a rental model.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Lhomity said:

Golden rule with Pachter. If he says something will succeed. It will most likely flop. If he says something will flop, it will probably succeed.

Of course, he is right about one thing. New release titles won't be on PS Now anyway. But that's common knowledge. AAA development is simply not sustainable on a rental model.

True, but i also see games that don't want to be on PS+ that have sold bad, to go on PS Now. So i don't really get his logic

Gorilla-Theif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Gorilla-Theif
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Sony is going bust! The writing is on the wall. They lost the Walkman/Discman market, they lost CD sales due MP3's. They lost their chunk of the TV market to Samsung. Cell phones to Apple The only product line they have left is the Playstation and the PSN.

They made the PS4 with an $18 profit margine, which I'm sure they had to slit with the retailer. Xbone, made Microsoft, $350 mill to Sony's $50 mill (profit) in the same number of sales of console units at Christmas.

Sony now charges for online gaming, they need seed money. Since Christmas the number of new titles or ps+ content is pathedic at best!

Now Sony is trying more money grab crap!

Not surprised, O will be surprised if they live to see PS5.

(should have never opened the PS4 up, the sealed box would be worth more on pawnstars 20 years from now, "the console that NEVER was"

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Nope me either did he not read into exactly what playstation now is or what :S, Sony can do what ever they want with there first party games, we have ps+ which gives away top games from only a few months back esp on ps3, so why wouldn't these companies want extra money for being on playstation now i mean there not going to sell many new wrapped versions of older games??? I really think he has miss read what playstation now is completely

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I agree with him that it won't work for recent games, but old games will probably be quite popular.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#7 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@gorilla-theif said:

Sony is going bust! The writing is on the wall. They lost the Walkman/Discman market, they lost CD sales due MP3's. They lost their chunk of the TV market to Samsung. Cell phones to Apple The only product line they have left is the Playstation and the PSN.

They made the PS4 with an $18 profit margine, which I'm sure they had to slit with the retailer. Xbone, made Microsoft, $350 mill to Sony's $50 mill (profit) in the same number of sales of console units at Christmas.

Sony now charges for online gaming, they need seed money. Since Christmas the number of new titles or ps+ content is pathedic at best!

(should have never opened the PS4 up, the sealed box would be worth more on pawnstars 20 years from now, "the console that NEVER was"

Thank you, that was very informative! Now that you got that off your chest do you feel better? :)

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

bwahahahahahah, thanks for the very analytical insight, that made my evening... :)

rockinpapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rockinpapa
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts

PlayStation Now isn't about the new games, the whole concept is made so you can experience nostalgic moments once again by renting a game, this time Pachter just went full retard.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Playstation Now is about renting and also purchasing games. Purchasing? Lets say Sony asks a publisher to if they would be willing to sell their 3 month old game for $50 with Playstation Now and the publisher would receive 70% of the sales. Publishers are thinking about digital and streaming content which helps them cut cost of retail disc production. Do you think publishers are jumping for joy when they see amazon selling Assassin's Creed Black Flag for $29.99? I wonder what amazon paid for each game. I bet there would be plenty of publishers willing to jump on that Playstation Now deal especially if the retail disc game isn't selling as much as expected. Not only that but I gotta believe Sony pays the publisher on top of that..... A publisher and Sony can make a deal out that would be benefiting both of them. On the renting aspect, we see netflix get some (not many) somewhat new released movies. For example, Marvels Avengers is on netflix. I believe they sold a ton of dvd/blu-ray copies and Paramount Pictures got paid a ton from Netflix as well. This isn't that different than Playstation Now. You won't get every new released game but you will see some of the newer released games and will see a lot of the older games. I also think that if Playstation Now would rent a game for like $6 for 5 days. Not everyone wants to spend $40-60 on a game. Only $6 rental is cheaper than Blockbuster a decade ago when they rented PS1 games for like 5 days and for like +$7. I think the individual streaming rentals would sell a lot. I would be interested in individual renting rather than a more expensive subscription for a big library.

I think it is silly to assume that no publisher would want to deal with playstion now........ Plus, we see plenty of somewhat new, great selling games like Bioshock Infinite get added on the PS+ instant game list. This isn't that different than Playstation Now. Both sides work out a good deal. They know what they are doing. I bet Pachter would say "No way would Bioshock Infinite publishers want to be added on PS+ instant game list because it would hurt their sales".

And lets assume that no publisher won't release their new released game to Playstation Now.... There would still be a huge demand for streaming games that are even +2 years old. Look at the huge library of all the great games.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@gorilla-theif said:

lol