PlayStation Now beta impressions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

Edited By Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Having tested the PlayStation Now service in the closed beta and now the open status I believe that you also need a decent upload speed as well for things to work out.

Since the server is communicating back and forward to your console, it will need a decent upload speed as well.

Few months ago I had 15down/3upload speed and I had difficulty streaming movies in HD. During the movie the quality would fluctuate back and forward inconsistently.

Few weeks ago I upgraded to 60down/10up and no more issues.

So far I tested Dead or Alive 5, Of Orcs and Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XIII though PlayStation Now.

In all honestly, smooth like a butter, I couldn't even tell the difference in visuals from the disk version and the response was excellent, especially with fast paced games like Sigma and Dead or Alive.

It's a fantastic service that works, however I don't believe the speed of the Internet is yet properly established.

Also, the prices could use some work. I'm ok paying 5$ for 30 days renatal however, some newer games outright ask for 15$ or 20$ for the same month.

Mind you some of this games are older and can be picked up for cheaper in retail.

I would love to see subscription option added, similarly to Netflix where you can enjoy majority of the games at one yearly or monthly price. Not to mention, add PS and PS2 classics as well. :)

With proper internet connection PS Now works, extremely well. However, how much will it cost to consumer is another story.

From personal experience in close beta and now in the open, I wouldnt recommend anything less then 20 down/5up for good experience and higher for optimal gaming.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I only tried dead island and it was horrible. Pixelated choppy mess. Not to mention the prices right now are crazy and I'd have to use up my data each time I played. I wonder how much data it uses for hour of playing.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sokol4ever

@AutoPilotOn: That's a valid point, my current Internet Provider has unlimited data usage and I would also love to know just how much streaming data is being used on average.

It will absolutely have potential decision factor for many gamers who are on the fixed monthly limit.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts

I haven't tried out any games because I refuse to pay their ridiculous prices. it's a cool concept to conveniently play older games, but unless they change to a subscription model, this will fail

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Yeah, I have a connection more in line with 15 down/3 up. Maybe slightly faster on both ends, though it's not going to run that fast on PSN. I just haven't had a great experience with streaming other things, so I probably shouldn't even bother with this. Wireless is my only option. So I'm not going to pay to rent games if there's going to be a decent chance that it isn't going to work well.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Works great, and its something to do on PS4. I likes it, rented a game yesterday, worked good. Its about convenience, and i am at times lazy, so it works for me. Beats running around town looking for used copies of disk games.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

I wish gamers would use their head and not pay for a beta and support this type service. The guy that made the post just trying games like crazy and just throwing money like it a monsoon. We should boycott this BS. Well I am boycotting because I ain't giving Sony this type of loot for old ass games.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sokol4ever

@ewalthour: Appreciate the criticism, however if someone doesnt test how the system works, how do we find out what needs to be fixed?

5$ for a month rental is not a problem for me personally and I do enjoy the service. Plus, I don't have a PS3 anymore since I traded the value of it and the PS4 is a remarkable system.

I don't realy have any other means to play the PS3 games I missed out on.

All in all, I do agree we need PS Now price adjustment, which you would have noted if you actually read the bottom part of my original post..

I would also love to see a subscription implemented as well, low monthly price to enjoy all the games.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

@Sokol4ever: I don't have a ps3 anymore either. I am not knocking you if you want to spend your money go ahead. I am just saying this beta should have some free component to it before charging gamers. I am not big into renting games anyway and it seems to be a waste of money for the price. You could own these game for how much Sony charge. I get it you miss ps3 and backwards compatibility is ps now except it cost a shit load of money and gamers are getting raped by sony without protection.

Since Sony thinks they are blowing xbox away in sales all they care about is profit and not giving gamers good service. Great ps4 system but bad Psn+ free games, bad updates no features we ask for we are getting anytime soon and barely touched the playroom with new content.

Sony is smart they have marketing people getting paid well and they know this service is over priced. Sony insults are intelligence with ps now when gamefly and netflix have better service than them. How can they not see other services model of operation?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

I'm probably gonna rent MGS4 this weekend just to see if it is any different than the closed beta.