Playstation 3 external hard drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kazrrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kazrrr
Member since 2004 • 330 Posts
Can you hook up an external hard drive to a playstation 3 and play movies and will it work well
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that you can. The drive just needs to be compatable with your ps3. You can also use the external to take some of the load of installled game data. Google it, you'll find more info.
char1968

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 char1968
Member since 2007 • 761 Posts

yes, my PS3 was a 20GB and now its a 320 all the instructions are on this site :

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=362

and in your PS3 manual

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
yes of course you can. But there are restrictions on what files you can play. Also you have to make sure the HDD is formatted with FAT32.
jstanfi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jstanfi1
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts
Also, some external drives want more power than the PS3 USB ports put out, so if you're buying one, either try it out first or buy one with an external power supply option. Oddly enough, I put the 60GB I removed from my PS3 in an external enclosure and it won't work, though the 160GB drive I ultimately put in the PS3 works just fine.
banksfree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 banksfree
Member since 2005 • 163 Posts
I recently just upgraded my ps3 external drive from a 250 gb to 1 tb. I have movies tv shows and everything on there. You have to format it to fat 32 which you can do with the fat32 format exe. you can download it on the web and it takes like 10 seconds literally as opposed to the other programs that take hours. Then you want to use either ps3 video 9 for your conversion or you can use mkv2vob. I used to use ps3 9 , but mkv kicks out with surround sound so I like it better. I think the external harddrive option is where my ps3 sees the most use. I heard in home you would eventually be able to invite someone over to watch a flick at your place, hope that happens.
cars195

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cars195
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hey guys, I have 2 accounts on my PS3 and i was wondering with the external HDD is there a way to split it up into 2 so each account has there own bit in the HDD. The reason being we play the same game and we cant put both of them on the HDD because it will want to overwrite it. Cheers
yellerbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yellerbelly
Member since 2008 • 1008 Posts
You can partition the drive into 2 parts, but I don't know how the PS3 will deal with that... another piece of software I can recommend is swissknife v3. Newer versions of windows won't let you format drives into FAT32 in partitions greater than 32 gigs. Swissknife did my 250 gig driver into one FAT32 partition in the blink of an eye.
cars195

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cars195
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Is it wearth giving it ago? If so how do i partion it into 2???