Play Uncharted 2 or 3 first?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts

Ive played the first game and I own Uncharted 3. However that game seems to get a lot of hatred for its pacing issues and Uncharted 2 is a masterpiece for the reason that it is paced so well.

Will playing UC2 first ruin UC3 or should I play UC3 to save the best for later?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I personally enjoyed Uncharted 3 just as much as Uncharted 2. I would play them in sequential order....

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I would play 2 before 3. The storyline does progress through the trilogy, and I do think it would be better to play them in order.

I've been thinking about dusting these off and playing through them all again. Maybe that'll be my farewell to the PS3 marathon just before the new console comes out.

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

Play them in order. I prefer Uncharted 3 over 2. Way more insane things occur in that game. Pacing seemed fine by me. 

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
Play them in order. That way you can see for yourself if the "hatred" is justified. I don't think it's hatred as much as it failed to live up to the lofty expectations the second one delivered, and people were disappointed. I enjoyed it for what it was worth, however.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
2 and 3. If you liked 2, you will still be able to play 3 till the end. You will just not very much like it afterwards.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
play them in order bro.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Play in order for sure. I actually enjoyed 3 pretty much the same as 2, though most will say 2 is the best. Either way, doesn't make much sense to play 3 before 2.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
I loved all three games. Play 2 first, you want the back-story. I don't think 3 had any pacing issues. It was an emotional roller coster with a great story. I think I approach games differently than many people, but for me story is what matters most. I go to video games to escape into another world and experience incredible stories I can't in real life. Granted this is probably why I don't really like multiplayer all that much, but it is also why I love games like Journey, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, inFamous, AC, Batman, etc. Anyways, sorry for going off on a huge tangent. Simple answer is play them in order, they are all incredibly brilliant.
xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Loved Uncharted 2, favorite out of the 3 but i would still say play them in order or itll kinda ruin the story abit by being all over the place.

Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts

I honestly prefered 2 to 3 I'd play them in order not that it really matters

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

play them in order.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Play 1, 2, 3 in that order.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Take a dump first. 

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#16 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

There are no pacing issues whatsoever with either games. It would be unwise to play Uncharted 3 before Uncharted 2.

poamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 poamar
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

both games are fantastic, so might as well play in sequential order!

darkman006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 darkman006
Member since 2009 • 933 Posts
Like what everyone is saying, play them in order, you won't be disappointed.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
[QUOTE="nightshade869"]I loved all three games. Play 2 first, you want the back-story. I don't think 3 had any pacing issues. It was an emotional roller coster with a great story. I think I approach games differently than many people, but for me story is what matters most. I go to video games to escape into another world and experience incredible stories I can't in real life. Granted this is probably why I don't really like multiplayer all that much, but it is also why I love games like Journey, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, inFamous, AC, Batman, etc. Anyways, sorry for going off on a huge tangent. Simple answer is play them in order, they are all incredibly brilliant.

I actually completely agree with you. Games are for fun but im going to choose to play a game thats going to be an experience more than just pure enjoyment. Given the lofty standards of this generation we have many games that do both, like the Uncharted series... I guess its Uncharted 2 first then. Also Ive played Uncharted 1 but found it to be utterly mediocre, shame the game got so much credit just because of its graphics.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm just about done with UC3 (near the end of The Brass City), In the Yeti part/ice caverns of UC2, and still have to buy UC1. So, it looks like I'll finish them in reverse order.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

UC 3 is a fantastic game. Just as good, if not better than 2. But yes, you should absolutely play them 2 before 3 because of story and character development.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StrongBlackVine

I'm just about done with UC3 (near the end of The Brass City), In the Yeti part/ice caverns of UC2, and still have to buy UC1. So, it looks like I'll finish them in reverse order.

jun_aka_pekto

LOL  the first Uncharted will look and play like trash compared to UC2 and UC3.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
play first UC2 and after UC3
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

StrongBlackVine

I already played part of UC1 at a friend's. The gameplay mechanics seem about the same. If there are some differences, I didn't notice because they were easy to adjust for. The looks doesn't matter. UC1 looks good enough to me. I think the original gameplay mechanics of UC3 gave me a harder time before it got patched to resemble that of UC2. 

Anyway, I like completeness and the series won't be complete without UC1. 

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts
Surely uncharted 2 first then 3.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

I already played part of UC1 at a friend's. The gameplay mechanics seem about the same. If there are some differences, I didn't notice because they were easy to adjust for. The looks doesn't matter. UC1 looks good enough to me. I think the original gameplay mechanics of UC3 gave me a harder time before it got patched to resemble that of UC2. 

The gunplay does not feel as good when it comes to rapid firing weapons.  The handgun weapons always felt more accurate in the first game.  There are no stealth take downs, and the melee combat is clunky.  The cinematic scenes have a good bit of texture pop in when they first load up.  The whole game takes place in a jungle.  The crushing difficulty is completely insane.  Every gunfight takes place in a square like area.  All the bad guys jump down to your playing field and there are not that many instances of bad guys on roof tops or anything like that.  Uncharted 1 was great for its time, and it has aged ok, but the sequels definitely improved everything about the original.  

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

gamenerd15

The gunplay does not feel as good when it comes to rapid firing weapons.  The handgun weapons always felt more accurate in the first game.  There are no stealth take downs, and the melee combat is clunky.  The cinematic scenes have a good bit of texture pop in when they first load up.  The whole game takes place in a jungle.  The crushing difficulty is completely insane.  Every gunfight takes place in a square like area.  All the bad guys jump down to your playing field and there are not that many instances of bad guys on roof tops or anything like that.  Uncharted 1 was great for its time, and it has aged ok, but the sequels definitely improved everything about the original.  

I already played part of Drake's Fortune and have had the chance to see the so-called "flaws." They're still not enough to turn me off which means I'm still buying it. :lol:

I may buy it used. But, I'm buying it.

It's kind of like buying the books, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. Reading the latter may not appeal to me like the other two books. But, I still wanted it for completion.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

As far as the mechanics of UC1 goes the worst is the grenade mechanic, which is gimmicky and uses the SixxAxis for aiming. F*ck it's stupid.

(On that note has any game made since like 2007, aside from those made by thatgamecompany, actually used the SixxAxis?)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Play 3 first so that you'll appreciate 2 more.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StrongBlackVine

Play 3 first so that you'll appreciate 2 more.JustPlainLucas

No, just no. Play them in order. 3 was better than 2 until the ending IMO.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

I already played part of Drake's Fortune and have had the chance to see the so-called "flaws." They're still not enough to turn me off which means I'm still buying it. :lol:

I may buy it used. But, I'm buying it.

It's kind of like buying the books, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. Reading the latter may not appeal to me like the other two books. But, I still wanted it for completion.

No one is saying don't buy it. Just play it first because the other 2 make it like crap in gameplay and visuals.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

To echo what has been said by many, it would be worth your while to play them in order. UC2 and UC3 are two of the very best games from this generation, in my opinion.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts
you should play them in order....Michael9087
yeah lol, why would u play 3 before 2? dude just play them in order. pacing or no, they are all quality games and i'm sure you'll enjoy them. i don't think i've ever heard anyone say something bad about the uncharted games. and the pacing in uncharted 3 was fine i don't know what ppl are complaining about. great exclusive titles for ps3 man you can't really go wrong with any of them.