Order of the Metal Gear Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DVzomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DVzomb
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts
Before I buy MGS4, I plan on getting the essentials collection and playing through that. What order are the games meant to be played in?
SolidSiems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolidSiems
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts

1,2,3 the order it should be played...

Don't listen to that nonsense "start with 3" that's BS.

jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts

Timeline-wise, its MGS3, MGS:PO, MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2

However, you should still play them in numerical order (so for the three games in the essentials, MGS1,2, then 3). That's how they were released, and each one in succession builds upon the previous ones in gameplay, plot/characters, etc.

DVzomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DVzomb
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts
I mean I've already beaten MGS3 subsistence, and now all that's left are one and two. Should I start with 1?
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

I mean I've already beaten MGS3 subsistence, and now all that's left are one and two. Should I start with 1?DVzomb

Well, you should have started one to begin with, but since you already finished 3, you should now go on to MGS1 :)

NYCKing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NYCKing87
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

Start with MGS1, then go to 2 and then 4.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

SolidSiems

I absolutely agree with that. In fact, the ending of mgs3 would be meaningless without having played the others.

Ausuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ausuka
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

SolidSiems

What are you talking about?!?!. MGS3 is the beginning. It's the events pre-dating ALL the other Metal Gear Solid games.

If you want the order of the Time-line, so that you may better understand the story, then Play MGS3, MGS1, MGS2. If your going with the whole MGS Essentials package.

However if your like said doof here, and don't give a hoot about understanding the vast, beautiful story that our beloved Kojima wrote then go with his idea, break Hideo's heart. lol

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSiems"]

Ausuka

What are you talking about?!?!. MGS3 is the beginning. It's the events pre-dating ALL the other Metal Gear Solid games.

If you want the order of the Time-line, so that you may better understand the story, then Play MGS3, MGS1, MGS2. If your going with the whole MGS Essentials package.

However if your like said doof here, and don't give a hoot about understanding the vast, beautiful story that our beloved Kojima wrote then go with his idea, break Hideo's heart. lol

The beauty of prequels is that if you play a game and then its prequel (non chronologically), then there are little references and dramatic irony scattered about. Unless the developers release all of the games at once, the games should really be played in the order of release.

I tried playing the MGS series chronologically, and then again numerally, and going chronologically didn't have that prequel magic.

Ausuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ausuka
[QUOTE="Ausuka"][QUOTE="SolidSiems"]

hazelnutman

The beauty of prequels is that if you play a game and then its prequel (non chronologically), then there are little references and dramatic irony scattered about. Unless the developers release all of the games at once, the games should really be played in the order of release.

I tried playing the MGS series chronologically, and then again numerally, and going chronologically didn't have that prequel magic.

I guess where I had become a MGS fan only about 2 years ago, playing or at least observing the games in chronological order, helped me better understand the story and the roles of certain characters. However looking at DMC with the same prequel method I can see what you mean about the 'magic' ^-^

Avatar image for deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-62b9a76fce1c1
Member since 2006 • 710 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSiems"]

Ausuka

The story makes as much sense if you play it HOW KOJIMA WANTED... considering he released them in that order (1, 2, 3, 4).
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts
[QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Ausuka"][QUOTE="SolidSiems"]

Ausuka

I guess where I had become a MGS fan only about 2 years ago, playing or at least observing the games in chronological order, helped me better understand the story and the roles of certain characters. However looking at DMC with the same prequel method I can see what you mean about the 'magic' ^-^

Do you remember the twist in this game? There would be no twist if you haven't played the previous games and were familiar with the story. Not to mention thats an awesome part of the story in mgs3.

I'm being vague as not to spoil it for the tc.

Ausuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ausuka
[QUOTE="Ausuka"][QUOTE="hazelnutman"][QUOTE="Ausuka"][QUOTE="SolidSiems"]

junglist101

Do you remember the twist in this game? There would be no twist if you haven't played the previous games and were familiar with the story. Not to mention thats an awesome part of the story in mgs3.

I'm being vague as not to spoil it for the tc.

I can't remember the plot twis....^-^; sorry.

Like I said, I played the games Chrono firstly, then my BF and his Friend spent an hour explaining the story line too me. Then we played them in Release order because his friend was being a child. 'You can't borrow my copy' Because I played better then him on my first try and apparently Girls can't play games, especially ones about war and guns (His words, I was like omigosh, and kicked him out of my house) And eventually I got the ahold of the game and played in then. ^-^ And then when news of 4 coming out soon, we played it again, and we got the Pre-order package, and watched the movie that was released in Japanese a couple times. ^-^.