Okay, so my PS3 won't start. Any advice?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Nightscaper_Guy
Nightscaper_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Nightscaper_Guy
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts

So, I sent my Xbox away the other day for RROD. Well, actually, I sent it away for what I said was a RROD, but that's another story.
Problem is, now my PS3 won't start. When I turn it on all it does is that it's really quiet, and then the green lamp on the front lights up. Then nothing happens. I don't think it's my HDMI-cable, because I can't restart it by holding down the power button on the front either, and it just seems like it's not working at all, what with the quietness of it all.

So, does anybody have any type of idea? I'll freak if I have to send this one away to Sony as I did with my XB360 to Microsoft.

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

So, I sent my Xbox away the other day for RROD. Well, actually, I sent it away for what I said was a RROD, but that's another story.
Problem is, now my PS3 won't start. When I turn it on all it does is that it's really quiet, and then the green lamp on the front lights up. Then nothing happens. I don't think it's my HDMI-cable, because I can't restart it by holding down the power button on the front either, and it just seems like it's not working at all, what with the quietness of it all.

So, does anybody have any type of idea? I'll freak if I have to send this one away to Sony as I did with my XB360 to Microsoft.

Nightscaper_Guy

Wait so the green light comes on? Then your PS3 should be working.

Try doing it again. First from a shut off (red light) press and hold the power button for more than 6 secs. (you'll here beeps)

Also check your monitor's video settings.

Nightscaper_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nightscaper_Guy
Thanks for answering. None of that worked, though. The Playstation just turns on, and then the green light keeps.. being lighty. Nothing else happens. I tried about 20 times now to restart it. It just won't start up properly. No sound, no nothing.
RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

wow sorry man, if I was there I could check it out. All I know that since the green light does come on, the ps3 should be working. (they may some kind of system check that makes sure everything is fine and when it isn't it'll show a yellow light)

only thing I can say that it seems you have something set up wrong. You have hdmi going to the right tv correct?

Surround sound?

something

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Are you on the right channel?

If you are, then try using your composite cables and see if it will work with them..if it does then your problem is your hdmi cable....if it still doesn't work...then you might be having some hardware problems...if so, then get ready to send it in as well.

nellyg619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 nellyg619
Member since 2004 • 6832 Posts
try a different tv aswell...u never know
Nightscaper_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nightscaper_Guy

I'm sure that everything is set up correct.

Thing is that both with the HDMI cable and the cable you use for PS2 (I can't remember what they're called. RBG or something? Anyways) do this weird thing. When I turn the machine on, the screen change. It goes from just the TV showing the channel, to the TV actually picking up something, and showing a black screen. Nothing else happens. It's just black. The TV is receiving some sort of signal, but it just doesn't show it properly. I don't know what I'll do if I have to send it in.

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts
Did you switch "TV" to "Video", "HDMI", "AV", etc.?
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

I'm sure that everything is set up correct.

Thing is that both with the HDMI cable and the cable you use for PS2 (I can't remember what they're called. RBG or something? Anyways) do this weird thing. When I turn the machine on, the screen change. It goes from just the TV showing the channel, to the TV actually picking up something, and showing a black screen. Nothing else happens. It's just black. The TV is receiving some sort of signal, but it just doesn't show it properly. I don't know what I'll do if I have to send it in.

Nightscaper_Guy

Well that doesn't sound right if you're using the composite cables (RGB as you put it) then you shouldn't be getting the game on a normal tv channel...you should check your video1, video2 etc channels...but not a normal tv channel.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
when ur turning it on hold the power button until u here 2 beeps it should work if its not that u have REALLY bad luck
lexuspimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lexuspimpin
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
yea dat happened to me jus turn off ur PS3 wit back power button and den cut it back on but it ckud b ur HDMI cord so jus ckut off ur tv n ckut it back on or change frm ur HDMI input to ur reg. TV input then go back to the HDMI lol
illjot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 illjot

My PS3 does the same thing. It turns on then doesn't do anything. I know my T.V.s and monitors are on the right channel. I know the cables work I've tried switching between hdmi and rgb always using the 2 beep reset, but the 2 beep reset stopped doing anything a while before my ps3 died. My ps3 died sometime in june or july, and I believe the power button stopped working 3 months prior.

When my ps3 broke I was moving it from my HDTV to my regular TV. I had to call my cousin to change it's settings, but lines kept going across the screeen even after I got all the settings right. I tried my ps2 and ps1 cables no difference. So I went into linux to see if the lines showed up there to thats when my ps3 went black but it was still running I could hear it. I reset a few times and even tried the hard reset(2 beep/10 or 5 second reset) knowing it would do nothing. I've plugged and unpluged my PS3 put it into multiple displays with no luck. . I bought my PS3 in February off ebay it was brand new and closed. The guy gave me a reciet and he was a trusted or whatever seller. I'd bought a 360 two  months before in December it still works. Although I did play my ps3 more since I bought all the multi-player games on it. My warranty is over and sony wants $200 to fix it which I can't afford anymore.

My hard reset(2 beep) stopped working 3 months prior. I remember the update was over 70% done when I left and when I came back it said there was an error. I continued and it turned off but didn't restart. When I turned the power on it gave some  error message and told me to call tech support. The next morning I got up turned it on and it worked except for the hard reset(2 beep).

aCAMPBELLfdfdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aCAMPBELLfdfdf
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i have the SAME EXACT problem. did you ever get it fixed!? i know this post is almost a year old. i bought my PS3 five days ago, yes FIVE days ago, and its already screwed up. i'm so mad.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Get out the jumper cables? IDK call Sony if you are concerned.
aCAMPBELLfdfdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aCAMPBELLfdfdf
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
PS. i called sony and the woman was telling me how to restart it and turn it off, which i already tried and it didn't work. right now i am waiting for the shipping stuff from SCEA to get here so i can send it back to them. all my saved info is probably going to be deleted. (not that much, but i'm around 17-20% each on three games-all going to be GONE) i'm just mad because i bought the system five days ago and my ps2 and original ps still work hahahha and they are YEARS old.
angusduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 angusduke
Hey guys, had the exact same problem. Could not figure it out. I changed from the HDMI cable to the AV cables and everything, switched the power off from all points, frequently restarted it until I caved and called tech support. Apparently this happens a bit when you move TV's and/or change output cables. Make sure the console is turned off and only the red light is on. Press the Power (On/Off) button and hold the button down until you hear a second beep from the PS3, release the Power button. Your PS3 should be doing a "soft restart" and HUZZAH! It worked! Hope this helps because I was trolling the boards looking everywhere for a simple solution.
jxsilicon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jxsilicon9
Member since 2003 • 171 Posts

Anyone ever find a solution to this?I have the same problem. My ps3 turns on and I can even put in discs. But all I get is a blank screen saying no singnal. I've tried the whole resetting the ps3.The av and different hdmi cable. Also different TV's but nothing works.Sony says I have to send it in and pay $120 for repair. I'm guessing its the graphics card but don't know.

JettiBoi1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JettiBoi1997
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I JUST GOT THE SAME PROBLEM BEFORE IT WAS JUST LINES SWERVING, BUT SINCE I TRIED THE HARD AND SOFT RESTARTS NOW IT JUST A BLACK SCREEN IVE NEVER SWAPPED TV'S, I WAS PLAYING THIS MORNING THEN I HOPPED OFF FOR BREAKFAST NOW IT DOESN'T WORK IM CONCERNED ANY ADVICE :'( ?
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Turn it off then hold down the power button till you hear 2 beeps, this will reset the video output. If that doesn't work then check your video cable. Mine went out and my screen went black. I put in a new HDMI cable and it was fine.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clr84651

You guys check the video cable HDMI etc for loose connection or failed HDMI cable.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clr84651

Anyone ever find a solution to this?I have the same problem. My ps3 turns on and I can even put in discs. But all I get is a blank screen saying no singnal. I've tried the whole resetting the ps3.The av and different hdmi cable. Also different TV's but nothing works.Sony says I have to send it in and pay $120 for repair. I'm guessing its the graphics card but don't know.

jxsilicon9

It sounds like you have a problem only Sony can fix.

JettiBoi1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JettiBoi1997
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
whats hdmi Cable?
jxsilicon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jxsilicon9
Member since 2003 • 171 Posts
Yea I had to send it to Sony. Bastards charged me $129.
BonlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BonlyOne
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
Call Sony support.
CODBLACKOPS17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CODBLACKOPS17
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts
Maybe its because of your system is corrupt and you have to go into the recovery mode??
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

:| Why is such an old, old thread being bumped?

The guy probably has a new PS3 by now..

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LORDDICE1
Member since 2007 • 1263 Posts

If the lite is staying green you need to reset your video connection. Turn it off then hold down the power touch button untill you hear a seiries of beeps. If your systems lite goes green, flashes yellow then blinks red then you have ylod. its a 150 bucks for sony to fix out of warranty. Happened to me a couple weeks ago. I took mine apart removed the old thermal paste, cleaned out all the parts and resaudered my motherboard, so far its working great :).

Nightscaper_Guy

CesarSalad503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CesarSalad503
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
ok so today i started up my ps3 and it only stays on the blue screen(after the ps3 logo goes away). i also cant turn off the ps3 from holding the off/on button. btw i baught it like 2 months ago -__- help?
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
Call tech and see what they say, then post the results.
Jewboy1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jewboy1982
Listen people you aren't understanding the problem correctly. The PS3 I am working on is a 40g. (YLoD fix easy no prob) I plug in all the cables and turn on the power switch on the back. After a long pause the red light finally shows up on the PS3 and then it automatically changes to Green without me ever touching the sensor or using the controller. Now even though the light is Green NOTHING is turned on. No fan, no build up of heat no nothing! The eject button doesnt even make the triple beep it does when the drive is empty. Plain and simple. Power is on, Green light is on, but NO noise what-so-ever is coming form the PS3. Now...stop telling people to do a friggin HDMI/AV switch thats not the issue!!!!
Jewboy1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jewboy1982
Ok so I retightened all the screws made sure it was grounded properly and magically the red light came on immediatly after I hit the on/off switch on the back. idk wtf is goin on but that is a new one for me...
Jewboy1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jewboy1982
But it still isnt working......
raider78fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 raider78fan
Yeah. My PS3 wouldn't start either. It was working fine one minute then the next minute, the screen was black. Everytime I switched the tv over to the HDMI input, the screen was black and sort of going between a light black and a dark black. I took my PS3 to another tv and plugged it in. It worked fine. Somehow something got pressed on one of my remotes which created a problem in the PS3 and the tv communicating with eachother. Since the PS3 worked fine on the other tv, I am resetting my tv to its factory settings. The tv I have is a Sony Bravia, if that helps. That has to be the problem.
raider78fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 raider78fan
Well that fixed it for me. Good Luck with yours.
1999lewis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 1999lewis12
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
i dont know what is wrong with my playstation, I unplugged it from the back so all the lights were turned off, when i plugged it back in it says "the file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored". so i click x, and can see the percentage rising, until it gets to 22%, for some reason it just freezes and stays on 22%, ive tried it loads and still the same. any help ?
JogsterXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JogsterXL
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts
yea dat happened to me jus turn off ur PS3 wit back power button and den cut it back on but it ckud b ur HDMI cord so jus ckut off ur tv n ckut it back on or change frm ur HDMI input to ur reg. TV input then go back to the HDMI lollexuspimpin
Wow...
1999lewis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 1999lewis12
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
still not working, must be proper messed up !!! now the percentage is actually rising, but it took about an hour to do 3% :/ so i left it over night hoping it would have done it, but when i turn it on it goes straight back to the bit saying i need to receive my data !!! -_- so ANNOYING !!!
sarao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sarao
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
My ps3 is one month old & I am facing this problem aswell & I am sure Overheating is not the issue here. System will shut down while m playing a game,no light,den red light pops up aftr 5,6 seconds If I try to turn Ps3 on green ,it beeps,green light comes for couple of seconds then again it blacks out. Any help?
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
[QUOTE="sarao"]My ps3 is one month old & I am facing this problem aswell & I am sure Overheating is not the issue here. System will shut down while m playing a game,no light,den red light pops up aftr 5,6 seconds If I try to turn Ps3 on green ,it beeps,green light comes for couple of seconds then again it blacks out. Any help?

I'd make a new topic if I were you. best to not bump necro topics that are 5 years old.