New PS3 Slim - how much air is the fan supposed to blow out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

Ok I got a 160GB Slim recently and noticed that

1. it produces VERY little air at the back. I like that it is super quiet and all but Im not sure whether this is right, especialy when compared to what my old fat model produced.

On a better side, the system was ON for about four hours and half and it didnt get much hotter from what it was after the first hour. And even after those four hours it didnt blow much air out.

2. Noticed that the fan makes a very quiet noise I cant specify. Its in this video from 0:23 to 0:25 and after. This goes away each time after about half an hour (probably when the fan speeds up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZkLivlwKxU

So anyone who has a slim, especialy the 160GB one - is this ok?

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
It's fine.
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tommyas
It's fine.emitsu97
I really hope so but I dont have any slim console around to compare.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emitsu97
[QUOTE="emitsu97"]It's fine.tommyas

Why do you need to compare? If you turn it on and it doesn't shut itself off or display any weird behaviors why are you worrying?
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tommyas
[QUOTE="tommyas"][QUOTE="emitsu97"]It's fine.emitsu97

Why do you need to compare? If you turn it on and it doesn't shut itself off or display any weird behaviors why are you worrying?

I have had it for just a few days and I dont want it to break in few weeks due to a faulty fan or something like that. I mean, it doesnt have to break immediately but it might be damaged. I know I am being paranoid btw lol.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Bought a 120 Slim last spring and I wondered the same thing cause my PS3 gets pretty warm after a while and it starts making noises when it goes from off and kind of cold to warm and the plastic starts expanding and making quick shifting noises. I still wonder about, but if it breaks I am going to be super pissed cause breaking down was the reason I switched to the supposedly safe PS3 anyways.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emitsu97
I know I am being paranoid btw lol. tommyas
Knowing is half the battle.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
I understand you being paranoid. Even at the almost 4 year mark with original 60 GB and my fan roaring at times I can't feel it pushing too much air out, so don't worry about not feeling the air being pushed out as I image the slim works similarly. I hope that helped to put you more at ease, and like emitsu said, if it's not behaving strangely then I'd say you're solid.
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tommyas
Bought a 120 Slim last spring and I wondered the same thing cause my PS3 gets pretty warm after a while and it starts making noises when it goes from off and kind of cold to warm and the plastic starts expanding and making quick shifting noises. I still wonder about, but if it breaks I am going to be super pissed cause breaking down was the reason I switched to the supposedly safe PS3 anyways.Lostboy1224
Haha, yeah I also "upgraded" to slim because I belive it is less likely to break :P But since you have had it for such time already and its fine, I suppose it is normal.
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tommyas
I understand you being paranoid. Even at the almost 4 year mark with original 60 GB and my fan roaring at times I can't feel it pushing too much air out, so don't worry about not feeling the air being pushed out as I image the slim works similarly. I hope that helped to put you more at ease, and like emitsu said, if it's not behaving strangely then I'd say you're solid.The_Rick_14
The slim actualy runs much much better than the old fatty I had. Especialy in Black Ops, its like several times better now. Less lag and accessing XMB during the game isnt painfuly slow as it was before.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
That's good to know but I'm gonna keep my fatty around until it no longer runs.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Right now it's about thirty degrees and my 160 GB Slim PS3 has been on for 7 hours. No problems with it whatsoever and it's really quite too so I guess it's normal.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I think after hearin' everyone out i can safely say your PS3 slim is fine :)