This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by jchristenberry (159 posts) -

Although thin, my blog history has one consistency, my loathing for SONY. I would like to clarify something here and now. I have grown up under the guise that SONY was the amazing high tech company of beautiful minds and all the best inventions. But since my childhood they have steadily sunk in quality to boost quantity to the point that even the things they were the best at (such as TV’s) has started to suffer to companies like Samsung and even Toshiba!

I used to love Sony so much that any time I saw that trademark writing of their name, I felt a sense of comfort that I was getting something great. This lasted all the way until around the time of the playstation 2 for me. I loved the playstation (even with all its weird disk playing issues) and my playstation 2 even though my xbox had pretty much left my playstation to collect dust. However in that time period I had a couple of financial disagreements with Sony Online Entertainment where on more than one occasion that would activate my closed accounts and start charging me out of the blue. In some cases for games I don’t even have installed on my machine. This is where the real problem started.

Any major company in the united states has a basic standing of “the customer is always right.” Even when the customer is a raging moron you make it seem like a misunderstanding and at least try to appease them. This is not the case for Sony. In every instance I have had an issue with them they have literally argued with me about it. The worst of it is when each time it was 100% their fault and a result of something I had zero control over. For example as mentioned in a prior blog, Sony packaging the wrong model PS3 in a 250gig model box. Them activating accounts that I don’t even poses the game for (always turned out to be an internal activation and not done by a hacker or myself.) But in each of these they would fight with me about it for anywhere from 2 hours to 4 months!!!

But just when I thought my opinion of them couldn’t get any worse…

That playstation 3 they sent me? Yeah… it was dying. Damn thing sounded like a jet engine and was louder than any xbox I ever owned.

But today… *shudder* today I own a playstation Vita because I wanted a hand held, hated gaming on an ipad, and have a standing that Nintendo is for children. All my reasoning for that aside it left me with no other choice than Sony. At any rate I called them up today because I wanted to download the movies that I had purchase on Sony’s “Playstation Network” onto my Vita and it wouldn’t take. I was informed after being hung up on once and escalating 3 tiers of management later that it would not work because they were HD movies and the vita would only play SD. “Ok” I think, “no big deal, just down grade my copy to SD and you keep the cost difference Sony.” They don’t see it that way. In fact I am told that Sony sees the HD and SD version as two different movies and if I had purchased them a month ago they could, but because it was a year or more ago they cannot. I wasn’t asking for a refund, a credit, or anything of the sort. I simply wanted to be able to access what I had paid for.

That is when my blood went from hot to boiling. In our two hours of talking I had been informed of the following: They will not give me the SD version of the movies even if it means swapping it for the HD I paid for (these are digital rights mind you.) They will not refund me a single penny do that I may purchase the SD versions instead. They will not assist me in any way shape or form in regards to these movies and simply tell me, “You need a PS3.” Well after the last train wreck with PS3’s needless to say I would never own one of those things again. So I end it with one final question, “What if I buy a PS4?” The clerk returns with “Did you buy them on PS3?” to which I reply “Yes, on the playstation network.” He tells me this, “No anything you purchase on the PS3 will only work on it. Even movies.” I then ask, “That sounds like an incredible rip off to me. What do you think?” He says nothing.

So it is after this that I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING SONY ever again. This is not a fanboysim of any sort as I am all PC since the introduction of the xbone and Sony’s garbage. But at least Microsoft always did everything they could to make it right. Sony has always basically told me to F-off.

#1 Edited by GTR12 (9059 posts) -

LOL, Blog it

PS: Must be a US sony thing.

#2 Posted by RiKanKiDD (1058 posts) -

Im not reading this.

#3 Posted by Dilrod (4239 posts) -

@jchristenberry: so you think that because you bought ONE version of a movie that a year later you should be given a different version free? Sounds legit...

#4 Posted by dalger21 (1019 posts) -

Blog it.

What I got from all of that is that people tend to exaggerate things and they are often not that big of a deal. Move on

#5 Posted by RossRichard (2330 posts) -

Only read a few sentences before I said "F this".

But for what I did read, I will give my take. Sony used to be a great name for electronics. Back in the 80s, if you wanted nice electronics you bought Sony. You paid a premium, but got a very good product.

So what changed? Lots of competition. Numerous other companies popped up, steadily increasing their quality. So that Sony could remain profitable, they had to make their products cheaply. Now Sony is the same quality as everyone else. But they keep the higher prices for their old reputation of having the best electronics around. Kind of like Gibson and Fender guitars.

#6 Edited by BH14 (1661 posts) -

I smell a PC fanboy rant. Sony still makes very high quality products. Blu-ray players? Right now, they make the best blu-ray players and they aren't overpriced at all. You could get a very highly rated, full support of ton of media files blu-ray player for only $79.99 which is cheaper than competitive blu-ray player. It is the #1 best selling blu-ray player on Amazon. I am a Samsung TV fanatic but they make bad blu-ray players. Panasonic make pretty good ones but Sony is better. Tablets? Sony tablet has a 4.3 rating on Amazon and a 4.6 rating on Best Buy. Don't think that Sony not matching Samsung or Apple in sales means that they don't make good tablets. It also got very high rating reviews from media critics. Home Theater? I have always been a fan of their home theaters. Gaming System? Are you kidding me? Sony has been making the best game systems ever since the Sony Playstation and they have been just getting better. I have 2 PS3s that work perfectly. I think some of these people who had multiple failing PS3s are turning on their PS3s with a hammer or have a filthy dusty environment. I could go on and on about their products. Go look at the user reviews that praise their products.

#7 Edited by dipdish (858 posts) -

Any major company in the united states has a basic standing of “the customer is always right.”

That's a universal idiom, used all over the globe. Just to let you know. And, I do not think it's right to hate a worldwide company, because of a faulty customer relations branch in your area.

And, Nintendo is not solely for children. Please, google it.

#8 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

I read the first three sentences when I was forced to stop because I was suddenly confronted by an image in my mind of a guy in a clock tower holding a sniper rifle.

Please seek help ASAP.

#9 Posted by DrKillByDeath84 (372 posts) -

Nobody cares........

#10 Edited by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

Dude, if your trying to get attention there are more healthier ways to do it! lol....Seriously though....Sony as well as ANY business gets these kind of complaints in the thousands EVERYDAY! None of them care about you personally, they only care about what's in your pocket, so no matter who you go with it will be a matter of time before they do something to piss you off.

#11 Posted by Ovirew (6275 posts) -

Take it to system wars.

#12 Posted by marcheegsr (2462 posts) -

Scrolled right past first post just to read the other comments.

#13 Edited by SoNin360 (5277 posts) -

This is clearly a blog that was cross-posted to the Forums, albeit the wrong Board. Though I'd say it doesn't belong on the Forums at all, as many blogs don't. But yeah, I'm not reading that.

#14 Posted by MarcRecon (5438 posts) -

lol...I did at least read the first 2 paragraphs!!

#15 Edited by SgtSutton (322 posts) -

I actually read all of it, dude, you need to chill. You bought a faulty PS3, it sucks, but it happens, and you continue to buy PS products? I learned my lesson with Xbox, I had 3 360's that all broke and have been PS ever since.

Also, why does you buying one movie mean your entitled to a different version of that? They are different products. I can't go to a retail store and try and trade all my Blu-rays for dvds even of the same movie.

#16 Edited by BattleSpectre (5953 posts) -

Mate, are you being fucken serious? You must be speaking to them like a real asshole for them to be arguing with you for 4 hours to 4 months on end. You also mentioned when you tried calling them up about the movies on the Vita, they hung up on you? They never hang up on you unless you give them a real reason to, you need to seriously calm down.

I've never, not even once in my life, had a customer support team hang up on me EVER. Whether it be Sony, Microsoft my service provider whatever. I'm just saying why would they hang up on you for no reason? it's their job to listen and try to help. You're either A) Over exaggerating or B) Talking a lot of shit to them, and being abusive as hell.

I'm a very happy customer of Sony's, but yes even they aren't perfect. Next time you try and contact them have some manners, and try to explain in a nice way about your problem.

#17 Posted by SgtSutton (322 posts) -

Mate, are you being fucken serious? You must be speaking to them like a real asshole for them to be arguing with you for 4 hours to 4 months on end. You also mentioned when you tried calling them up about the movies on the Vita, they hung up on you? They never hang up on you unless you give them a real reason to, you need to seriously calm down.

I've never, not even once in my life, had a customer support team hang up on me EVER. Whether it be Sony, Microsoft my service provider whatever. I'm just saying why would they hang up on you for no reason? it's their job to listen and try to help. You're either A) Over exaggerating or B) Talking a lot of shit to them, and being abusive as hell.

I'm a very happy customer of Sony's, but yes even they aren't perfect. Next time you try and contact them have some manners, and try to explain in a nice way about your problem.

This. When your nice to the customer support people who are used to verbal abuse, they usually go out of their way to help you.

#18 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69731 posts) -

@BH14: i also smell a pc fanboy

@jchristenberry: I have never had any issues with any Sony hardware. The thing is you have gotten unlucky with your PS3. The whole disc thing was never an issue for me on the PS2.

So you buy a movie over a year ago, you only have a guarantee of 30 days or something if you want to change your purchase. You can't expect them to dance for you just because you didn't think of it. You can watch Netflix instead, what's the big deal? So you want all your money back even though you purchased it that long ago? Seriously dude. Go to your pc master race, i will enjoy my ps3, Vita and PS4 all that i can even if i have a decent pc.

#19 Edited by jchristenberry (159 posts) -

Well hell I did not actually expect this to get any attention, the gamespot site said "cross blog it" and I said "why not." I see it ended up in a forum. So first off, my bad there. To clarify for each of you...

@BattleSpectre, there is more to this long story, a lot more in prior blogs. The 4 month thing was them mispackaging a lower end PS3 in a 250gig box. I had to get a major retailers Regional Managers involved to get any resolution from Sony and they still thought I was lying to them. I was baffled to say the least. But that several more long winded blogs ago.

@SgtSutton The hanging up on me, I don't think it was intentional... but it only served to make matters worse as the first guy (that hung up on me) seemed to be the only one who actually wanted to find a solution.

@BH14PC fan boy? Nowadays yes, yes I am. Before that I preferred the 360. Prior to that it was a toss up for xbox and PS2. Before that I was into PS1, prior to that Sega etc etc... My "current preference" has nothing to do with SONY being a crappy company to me. I used to agree with your opinion of them completely, years ago... but my personal experiences with Sony products and Sony support has tarnished that opinion.

@The_Last_Ride You're right, I have been extremely unlucky with their systems, and their customer no service. I didn't want a refund, I didn't even mention it. But (@Dilrod also) when I have the sales people in the Sony store telling me HD this and all your PSN access that when I bought the Vita, I expect it to be true. I simply wanted to be to access what I had paid for, I did not wish to change anything in the end. As for alternative solutions like netflix, going that route defeats the purpose of the point and in the end, Netflix still does not have ANY of the movies in question available for streaming.

@Puggy301 If you got an image of a clock tower sniper from me saying (in short) that Sony has become a company about quantity over quality since my childhood, then you sir, may be the one needing to seek help.

@MarcRecon Too true. I was not seeking attention, this was intended as a blog rant. I simply clicked the wrong "cross blog" option. I will see about having this locked.

@dalger21 I wish it was, this whole thing would not have driven me to my loathing of Sony if it was.

@GTR12 It is a blog, it ending up here as a forum post was a mistake on my part. Sorry about that.

@dipdish This entire conversation is one of opinion. The right or wrong of hating a worldwide company is a fickle debate at best. But we're all entitled to our opinions here. Mine just differs from yours. As for my opinion of Nintendo... I love them, I personally own two 3Ds's for my kids and we used to have a Wii and a game cube, but I wanted to have more of "my type" of games available to me than what Nintendo offers which generally caters to children. I have followed nintendo since its inception into a electronics company, them putting systems in a retirement home does not make an adults toy. But it is great for those folks to have another distraction and awesome PR (for what it was worth) for Nintendo. But face it, you know as well as anyway here (I hope anyway) that Nintendo is at the long end of a vertical rope and if they don't shake their bad habits, they may not be a contender in the video game market of tomorrow. Feel free to google it.

@SoNin360 Yeah, I botched it up with the "cross blog" option. Had no idea what I meant. I know now! lol. Sorry about that.

*****ANY ADMIN READING THIS - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LOCK / DELETE THIS. IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A FORUM THREAD. I'M A DUFFUS! *****

#20 Edited by philip6k (507 posts) -

Although thin, my blog history has one consistency, my loathing for SONY. I would like to clarify something here and now. I have grown up under the guise that SONY was the amazing high tech company of beautiful minds and all the best inventions. But since my childhood they have steadily sunk in quality to boost quantity to the point that even the things they were the best at (such as TV’s) has started to suffer to companies like Samsung and even Toshiba!

I used to love Sony so much that any time I saw that trademark writing of their name, I felt a sense of comfort that I was getting something great. This lasted all the way until around the time of the playstation 2 for me. I loved the playstation (even with all its weird disk playing issues) and my playstation 2 even though my xbox had pretty much left my playstation to collect dust. However in that time period I had a couple of financial disagreements with Sony Online Entertainment where on more than one occasion that would activate my closed accounts and start charging me out of the blue. In some cases for games I don’t even have installed on my machine. This is where the real problem started.

Any major company in the united states has a basic standing of “the customer is always right.” Even when the customer is a raging moron you make it seem like a misunderstanding and at least try to appease them. This is not the case for Sony. In every instance I have had an issue with them they have literally argued with me about it. The worst of it is when each time it was 100% their fault and a result of something I had zero control over. For example as mentioned in a prior blog, Sony packaging the wrong model PS3 in a 250gig model box. Them activating accounts that I don’t even poses the game for (always turned out to be an internal activation and not done by a hacker or myself.) But in each of these they would fight with me about it for anywhere from 2 hours to 4 months!!!

But just when I thought my opinion of them couldn’t get any worse…

That playstation 3 they sent me? Yeah… it was dying. Damn thing sounded like a jet engine and was louder than any xbox I ever owned.

But today… *shudder* today I own a playstation Vita because I wanted a hand held, hated gaming on an ipad, and have a standing that Nintendo is for children. All my reasoning for that aside it left me with no other choice than Sony. At any rate I called them up today because I wanted to download the movies that I had purchase on Sony’s “Playstation Network” onto my Vita and it wouldn’t take. I was informed after being hung up on once and escalating 3 tiers of management later that it would not work because they were HD movies and the vita would only play SD. “Ok” I think, “no big deal, just down grade my copy to SD and you keep the cost difference Sony.” They don’t see it that way. In fact I am told that Sony sees the HD and SD version as two different movies and if I had purchased them a month ago they could, but because it was a year or more ago they cannot. I wasn’t asking for a refund, a credit, or anything of the sort. I simply wanted to be able to access what I had paid for.

That is when my blood went from hot to boiling. In our two hours of talking I had been informed of the following: They will not give me the SD version of the movies even if it means swapping it for the HD I paid for (these are digital rights mind you.) They will not refund me a single penny do that I may purchase the SD versions instead. They will not assist me in any way shape or form in regards to these movies and simply tell me, “You need a PS3.” Well after the last train wreck with PS3’s needless to say I would never own one of those things again. So I end it with one final question, “What if I buy a PS4?” The clerk returns with “Did you buy them on PS3?” to which I reply “Yes, on the playstation network.” He tells me this, “No anything you purchase on the PS3 will only work on it. Even movies.” I then ask, “That sounds like an incredible rip off to me. What do you think?” He says nothing.

So it is after this that I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING SONY ever again. This is not a fanboysim of any sort as I am all PC since the introduction of the xbone and Sony’s garbage. But at least Microsoft always did everything they could to make it right. Sony has always basically told me to F-off.

tldr

#21 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69731 posts) -

@jchristenberry: You do have internet yes? THen why not check this stuff out on the internet? Because believe it or not, they might just have been wrong on that issue

#22 Posted by Coolyfett (5079 posts) -

Coolyfett did as well. Has anyone in here seen the movie Goonies??

#23 Posted by voljin1987 (687 posts) -

yet another use for this

#24 Edited by bezza2011 (2308 posts) -

How can you say that the Quality has gone down????

There still Top Dogs in the Tv industry, The Sony Bravia TVs are some of the best TVs ever made,

PS2 was the most outselling console ever, m ine never broke and still running to this day.

PS3 the Original was probably the most quality I have seen from a console build, smooth curved top it looked the part and lasted a lot longer than my Xbox 360 did, my original ps3 lasted till last year.

Where did you buy this PS3 which was the wrong harddrive because i'm pretty sure you go back to the place you bought it from with the receipt and let them deal with it, how do they know you ain't just robbed a box and try to grab youself a better one.

and this whole HD ps vita rubbish, yea I get myself a blu ray and then try and get the shop to give me a dvd for it, I mean they are standalone things, you've had your uses from the HD because if you'd bought them that day tried it on the vita they more than likely would of swapped them over because you made the mistake, you can't expect them to lose money on a digital download, it still costs them money they don't get some of it back.

your so wrong on so many levels, customer is always right, you sir are wrong.

#25 Posted by SoNin360 (5277 posts) -

@jchristenberry: Don't worry about it too much. I kind of blame GameSpot to an extent for creating the option to cross-post blogs to the Forums. I guess you made that conscience decision to do it, but still. This is a perfectly fine blog post and you're only getting all this shit because people are too lazy to read it (like me) and you're bashing Sony on the Playstation Forum. It just slightly bothers me that others don't realize that it is in fact a blog post that wasn't meant to be posted here.

#26 Posted by FlawlessGoBot (19 posts) -

Dat wall of text.