Need help with infamous DNS error

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yazu13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 0

#1 Yazu13
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

I swear, I've had this exact same problem even when I first owned a PS2. A Comcast guy came to my house and installed a new cable/phone box from my standard cable box, and now I can't get my PS3 to connect online! I can usually fix the problem, but this one wants to follow me to my grave it seems. Can I get some help guys? I've been to forums all around the net, heck, I've even called Sony. I must be doing something wrong.

Here is the information you can work off of.

-I have a Comcast Cable/Phone box.

-The error is a DNS error with a code 80710102.

-I've tried both Easy and Manual settings.

-I have a D-Link DGS-2205 Router

-Even when I connect directly to the Comcast modem, it still doesn't work.

-I've tried entering the information from the command window command prompt Ipconfig /all.

-I've triend using static IP addresses and DNS codes.

-I've tried turning the Media Server Connection on my PS3 off.

-I've tried turning off my firewall.

P.S. Thanks for the help to whomever solves this problem. If you can solve this, then you're a god!

Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
Try resetting the router; don't use any static information after and see if it connects automatically.
Yazu13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#3 Yazu13
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

Try resetting the router; don't use any static information after and see if it connects automatically. sinistergoggles

Does resetting the router entail just turning it off or doing something else? I couldn't ever find a straight answer.

whodeysay85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 whodeysay85
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
when i reset my router i just power off, wait like 30 seconds, then power on.
Dirty3rdTex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Dirty3rdTex
Member since 2007 • 635 Posts

i had the same problem and like the guy said above i pulled the power on both my modem and router for 2 minutes. Then i turned everything back on and presto. Worked like a charm.

Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts

[QUOTE="sinistergoggles"]Try resetting the router; don't use any static information after and see if it connects automatically. Yazu13

Does resetting the router entail just turning it off or doing something else? I couldn't ever find a straight answer.

Most router has a small reset button you need to hold down for about.. 30 seconds. (probably need something thin to poke it with)  This will remove all your settings from the router and return it to it's default settings (like it was when you first bought it).  So you'll lose everything; including any wireless secrutiy settings you may have.  So.. yeah, only do it if you know how to set everything back up! Â