Need Help on Repenting in Oblivion!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by familyguyvs360 (394 posts) -
I murdered someone and I went to those Nights of the Nine Alters and it won't let me repent. It keeps saying I'm a sinner and I need to repent. Can someone tell me where exactly to go to repent, like the town and chapel name. Thanks!
#2 Posted by shady_825 (1000 posts) -
I don't know what happens if you murder someone and then try to pray at a shrine, because I'm going for a somewhat Robin Hood-like, good guy character. However, I have stolen some things and gone to a church, only to get a message telling me I needed to repent for my sins. The first time I talked to a guard and got arrested. After I served my time, I was able to go to the altars again. The second time, since I'm a member of the Thieves Guild, I just paid off my bounty and fines with my doyen. Solution: I think you just have to get rid of your bounty.
#3 Posted by familyguyvs360 (394 posts) -
I don't know what happens if you murder someone and then try to pray at a shrine, because I'm going for a somewhat Robin Hood-like, good guy character. However, I have stolen some things and gone to a church, only to get a message telling me I needed to repent for my sins. The first time I talked to a guard and got arrested. After I served my time, I was able to go to the altars again. The second time, since I'm a member of the Thieves Guild, I just paid off my bounty and fines with my doyen. Solution: I think you just have to get rid of your bounty. shady_825
That's the thing! I try, but it won't let me. I think there is a special alter or chapel you haft to go to, but I don't know which one. I tried a lot of them and they all say the same thing, Repent before my sins get washed away! I'm totaly lost on what they mean. I repent, but they say no! repent elsewhere!
#4 Posted by familyguyvs360 (394 posts) -
I'm trying to remove this murder without going to jail through repenting. It's getting frustrating every time I come across a town and the guards chase me down to kill or arrest me!
#5 Posted by shady_825 (1000 posts) -
So you've served time or paid your fine to a guard? By the way, I'm not what you would call an expert at this game, so don't be surprised if I can't help you.
#6 Posted by familyguyvs360 (394 posts) -
So you've served time or paid your fine to a guard? By the way, I'm not what you would call an expert at this game, so don't be surprised if I can't help you.shady_825
No. There is a way to remove the murder without doing all that. You just haft to repent, but at a certain location. Where? I have no clue.
#7 Posted by KnightmareDemon (9 posts) -
You have to do the Pilgrimage again.  This 'cleans' your Infamy to 0 and you have to keep it below 1.
#8 Posted by Koinuboy (3447 posts) -
I'm pretty sure the Pilgrimage is only in the Knights of Nine thing. You really should just give yourself up to the guards. You're only way out.
#9 Posted by familyguyvs360 (394 posts) -
I'm pretty sure the Pilgrimage is only in the Knights of Nine thing. You really should just give yourself up to the guards. You're only way out.Koinuboy
I don't want to do that because you get a penalty after you serve your sentence and I don't have enough gold to pay it off either. I tried turning myself in after I saved it and got plenty penalties, so this is my last option if you catch my drift.
#10 Posted by im_da_best (496 posts) -

bribe the gaurds if you can.

or just kill them :D:D

#11 Posted by familyguyvs360 (394 posts) -

bribe the gaurds if you can.

or just kill them :D:D

im_da_best
that's the d**best thing I've read! When I just got done clearly writing I don't enough gold and also, killing more doesn't help either!:roll:
#12 Posted by ezralobo (3 posts) -

If your Infamy is higher than your Fame then you cannot use the shrines, even if you don't have a bounty.

You must get rid of the bounty or the guards will persue you.  If you get your Fame > 100 then the guards will offer to pay the fine for you :)  As the previous poster said you can only get rid of the bounty by paying your fine or serving your time.  The Thieves guild provides a way to pay off your bounty cheaper.

There was a mod for the PC version that added a shrine for players with high Infamy.

Hope this helps.

#13 Posted by Creeping_Wolf (3399 posts) -

I murdered someone and I went to those Nights of the Nine Alters and it won't let me repent. It keeps saying I'm a sinner and I need to repent. Can someone tell me where exactly to go to repent, like the town and chapel name. Thanks!familyguyvs360

Your infamy CANNOT be greater that your fame if you want to use the chapel altars

#14 Posted by familyguyvs360 (394 posts) -

[QUOTE="familyguyvs360"]I murdered someone and I went to those Nights of the Nine Alters and it won't let me repent. It keeps saying I'm a sinner and I need to repent. Can someone tell me where exactly to go to repent, like the town and chapel name. Thanks!Creeping_Wolf

Your infamy CANNOT be greater that your fame if you want to use the chapel altars

It's less the the fame....9 fame....2 infamy
#15 Posted by negtegra (695 posts) -
You can only reduce you Infamy by doing the Pilgrimage for the Knights of the Nine quests, that's going to the Nine Shrines of whoever located all over Cyrodiil if you didn't know. Also, if you've gone too far in the main quest the Shrine to Mara northwest of Anvil might be taken over by a Gate to Oblivion in which case the Pilgrimage can no longer be completed and you're screwed. Your Infamy can't be more than 1, otherwise you can't use any pieces of the Armour of the Crusader.
#16 Posted by Chien_Rouge (270 posts) -
Why exactly is it so important that you "repent?" It does not really seem to make a difference that I can tell. Is this part of some mission or does it do something I am unaware of?
#17 Posted by gmsnpr (4242 posts) -
You can only reduce you Infamy by doing the Pilgrimage for the Knights of the Nine quests, that's going to the Nine Shrines of whoever located all over Cyrodiil if you didn't know. Also, if you've gone too far in the main quest the Shrine to Mara northwest of Anvil might be taken over by a Gate to Oblivion in which case the Pilgrimage can no longer be completed and you're screwed. Your Infamy can't be more than 1, otherwise you can't use any pieces of the Armour of the Crusader.negtegra
There are more than one of each Wayshrine.  Even if the Mara Shrine near Anvil is gone, there's another one west of Skingrad, and one in the Blackwood NE of Leyawin.
#18 Posted by gmsnpr (4242 posts) -
Why exactly is it so important that you "repent?" It does not really seem to make a difference that I can tell. Is this part of some mission or does it do something I am unaware of?Chien_Rouge
Yes. To go through the Knights of the Nine quests, you have to wear the Armor of The Crusader, which you can only wear if your infamy is 0. The way to wipe out your infamy is to complete a pilgrimage to the Wayshrines. Luckily, you can do it as many times as you need, in case you do something that raises your infamy again.
#19 Posted by negtegra (695 posts) -

There are more than one of each Wayshrine. Even if the Mara Shrine near Anvil is gone, there's another one west of Skingrad, and one in the Blackwood NE of Leyawin. gmsnpr

Excellent...now I don't have to be so reserved with the main quest.

Yes. To go through the Knights of the Nine quests, you have to wear the Armor of The Crusader, which you can only wear if your infamy is 0. The way to wipe out your infamy is to complete a pilgrimage to the Wayshrines. Luckily, you can do it as many times as you need, in case you do something that raises your infamy again.gmsnpr

To complete the Knights of the Nine you have to be wearing the Armour of the Crusader?  Kinda sucky.  But you can wear the armour with an Infamy of 1, once it gets to 2 it's over though.

#20 Posted by shady_825 (1000 posts) -
Wow that quest definitely made me like this game less.