Name things Sony must do to stay ahead of Xbox one

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

So far i think Sony exclusive launch games and the near further will be superior to Xbox One and the rest of the great games will be shared amongst each platform anyway. I love my PS4 and its way better for the price and for what it offers than PS3 but the competition is very stiff with Xbox one.

Sony must make the camera a feature item worth buying with constant free games in the Playroom.

Have a ton of games using the Camera and if possible update the camera to 1080P hd quality

I don't have the camera I read about the mic unable to turn off.

The camera must use a lot more voice recognition features.

Allow us to have wallpapers, different colors besides the blue background or just customize our PS4 in general.

Give us the Patch for using our headsets wirelessly, MP3 and CD player functionality

Provide a Skype type feature

Im ok without the PS4 being exactly like Xbox one with voice recognition for changing tv channels but just a little more integration then what it has now.

Also the PSN must be updated on a regular basis to justify paying $50 a yr not with just patches but new exciting features.

We don't need lip service from Sony but I believe before the end of the yr some of these things should be implemented. At least one of these things would be a step in the right direction.

bleekz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bleekz
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

PSN justifying paying $50? How about the free games they give you with every collection, unlike XBLA they actually give you games that came out within the same year plus deals on PSN and indie games.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

They're big boys I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@bleekz said:

PSN justifying paying $50? How about the free games they give you with every collection, unlike XBLA they actually give you games that came out within the same year plus deals on PSN and indie games.

Those games aren't free, they're rentals

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

id be happy with Sony just allowing us to more personalize our backgrounds and stuff like that

Swedish_Chef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Swedish_Chef
Member since 2003 • 623 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@bleekz said:

Those games aren't free, they're rentals

And yet they are free...

As for the OP Sony doesn't have to do any of that to compete with MS. Everything you're asking for would basically make the PS4 an Xbone, which if you want all those cheesy features you should just buy an xbox. If Sony delivers better exclusives and higher quality multiplatform games than MS they will do just fine in this generation.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ewalthour

I do like how Xbox has distinct colors with each players profile from the demostrations shown of the Xbox one.

I would like if the battery last longer on controller but the standby mode is nice which turns off controller when ps4 not in use.

So u guys seem to have low expectations. So none of the wishes I have people care about?

Swedish_Chef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Swedish_Chef
Member since 2003 • 623 Posts

No

I want my console to play games. I don't need to talk to my TV to change channels or to skype with anyone. I don't need netflix, hulu, or any other video/music service. It should be the best it can be at playing games. That's it. I'd be happy if MS focused on all that other crap and sony focused on their games.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

They're big boys I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Agreed, that question can go both ways!

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I think the PS4 just needs some more big game announcements. I think people we eat up Titanfall on the Xbox One and it might become the most popular "next-gen" game. I could be completely wrong about that, but all I, and probably the majority of PS4 owners, care about is games.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#11 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

Do your research. Sony already stated that there will be a patch in the near future for PS4 to play MP3s.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ewalthour

@dipdish: I do my reasearch and near future could be 6 months from now. Dont get me wrong, I love my ps4 like anyone else who bought it. I had no tech issues besides the launch day Psn store down.

I just think Sony is bad at pushing its assessories like the camera. They were bad at it on ps3 and so far they are so so with the camera now. My priority is games and like I said before ps4 games interest me more.

I think if not by end of this yr sony doesnt either announce games or release any playroom or other type of games for the camera then its going to be another unutilize great potential type periphery that only die hards will buy.

Alpha_Wolf30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alpha_Wolf30
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

All Sony has to do is:

1) Take their time and make sure more units are available for consumers. I got mine day one and it works perfectly !

2) Do not release the PS4 in all regions at the same time (and Sony didn't, thank God) , unlike Microsoft. This minimizes the amount of glitchy units on the market.

3) Beef up the exclusives for PS4. The list is rather slim... for now.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

I'm fine with the voice features it has now turn off and start is all I really use and probably would use. Maybe add voice features for surfing the web or add a youtube app. I think Microsoft owns Skype so they probably won't let Sony use skype. Although Sony owns blu ray and Microsoft was able to add blu ray to their console. It would be nice if they could add new features every once in awhile. More apps would be nice.

christianRho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By christianRho
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

@ewalthour: lol sounds like you want an Xbox One. See this is kinda of the point I was making. But I will add to the conversation to make it interesting. I feel Microsoft is going to have a severe advantage when it comes to the app ecosystem with Xbox One. With that said you could start seeing Instagram and Angry Birds in the future with the Xbox ecosystem.

With that said what could sony do? Well, they could, in theory, obtain integration of an Android type emulator. This would allow Android and its huge app collection onto Sony's network. Now how the SDK's for the controller and a bunch of other things I am not sure of would work but if they did it then that could completely level the playing field for Sony without them doing much work.

I am telling you the secret weapon for the Xbox are the Apps it is going to unleash from the Windows 8.1 RT side of things. It could be epic and a real game changer. This is the biggest thing Sony needs to be wary of. If they align with Google it could help alleviate the problem.

Also you mentioned Skype. Microsoft in reality would want Sony to be able to use Skype on its platform. Skype costs money so there is an advantage for Microsoft allowing it. Perhaps event Microsoft could work out an emulator deal with Sony for its app ecosystem.

The advantage would be whatever app ecosystem SDK adjustments Microsoft has to make for the Xbox - that existing system might be easy for Sony to adopt and use on the Playstation. Hell why not? Its like a computer as far as Microsoft is concerned and it's kinda like MS using a Blueray player right.

Either way this is going to be of utter importance for Sony to address its strategy going forward.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StingingVelvet

Make sure next year's exclusives are quality games.

Keep updating the online infrastructure to take advantage of XBO's horrid party system and convert online gamers who worshiped Xbox Live the last two times.

Keep making it all about the games. Most people are using tablets and media PCs for everything else. Get those exclusives, indies and better versions of multiplatform games and hype it up.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Keep making great games and keeping their promises. Not doing any DRM crap or going back on used games

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 jayd02
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

@Jr14: They don't own bluray.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

The biggest thing that Xbox has over PlayStation is a superior online service. People that value online multi-player choose Xbox over PlayStation simply for that reason. I'm one of those people. I prefer PlayStation exclusive games over Xbox exclusive games, but despite that, I love my Xbox 360 more than my PS3 and I'm getting a Xbox One before I get a PS4 because of Xbox Live.

Sony needs to step up their game when it comes to online gaming and simply copying Xbox Live features years after Microsoft introduces them on Xbox Live isn't going to cut it. Sony needs to start being a leader in advancing online gaming because if they can do that, they will take away the Xbox brand's biggest competitive advantage.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

@starwolf474: I have to disagree with u that Xbox live is superior psn...now if u have said its slightly better yea maybe but that's only OPINIONS....I am proud owner of both consoles. I love my Xbox/xbox1 as I love my ps3/4. I have only been on live for a total of 4months since I got my Xbox in 2009. And the difference in their online is the same I haven't seen any difference the only thing Xbox 360 had was party chat and slightly better download but other than that. I haven't seen nor experienced any difference. Sonys online is just as good and on ps4 I think its even better now that we are paying for PS+ for most online MP I can only imagine they will keep it up to date and have strong servers and robust PSN. But again saying live is better is only opinion.

christianRho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 christianRho

@JoKeR_421: You're JokerIng right? Seriously Xbox Live is better this isn't even a question. And, to boot PS4 got off to a bit of a rocky spot even with multiplayer gameplay. To be clear Xbox Live is rock solid. Now, with Sony charging, the same price as MS, hopefully it will build to be on par.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@jayd02 said:

they own a very large portion of bluray....

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jayd02

@Geminon:

They are apart of the group that owns blu ray, that Microsoft is aloud to join but they choose not to join. If anything it is there fault that they have to pay Blur-Ray Disc Association for the right to use their technology.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

Or they could not use the camera, and the world will go on.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Title should read

What does Xbone need to do to compete with PS4...since PS4 is currently slaughtering the Bone in initial sales.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#26 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ewalthour said:

Sony must make the camera a feature item worth buying with constant free games in the Playroom.

Have a ton of games using the Camera and if possible update the camera to 1080P hd quality

I don't have the camera I read about the mic unable to turn off.

The camera must use a lot more voice recognition features.

Allow us to have wallpapers, different colors besides the blue background or just customize our PS4 in general.

Give us the Patch for using our headsets wirelessly, MP3 and CD player functionality

Provide a Skype type feature

Im ok without the PS4 being exactly like Xbox one with voice recognition for changing tv channels but just a little more integration then what it has now.

Also the PSN must be updated on a regular basis to justify paying $50 a yr not with just patches but new exciting features.

We don't need lip service from Sony but I believe before the end of the yr some of these things should be implemented. At least one of these things would be a step in the right direction.

Camera games are a gimmick

the camera is a nice feature, but it's overrated.

It already does

I think that's on the way, we could do that on the ps3

cd's and mp3 patch is on the way, same goes for headsets

Why not just add skype?

There is no reason to have more integration

It's already happening

Just wait and see they will do that stuff

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

Fix the MP3/CD playback and support DLNA.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Geminon said:

@jayd02 said:

No they don't

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts

The real question is:

WHAT MUST MICROSOFT DO TO COMPETE WITH SONY?

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ewalthour

@christianrho: if I was filthy rich I might get a xbox one but ultimately I know I will not. I have never own anything but Sony. There are things I like about xbox with media but gaming is to be desired. Sony online was free and that's why now I demand IF I KEEP PSN AFTER FREE MONTH, for great service. Before it was who c ares if we diet get demos on Tuesdays or if theybarely update the slow chugging browser or the camera look cheap and t he motion controller was some stupid glowing anal pleasure for a pervert. Lol

The bottom line in the very near future Sony has to compete outside just the motto we are just a gaming device.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Not much, if anything Microsoft has to pull some strings to compete with PS4. We'll see how everything shakes up and which console has Vita/Wii U like nose dives in sales come January-March

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

Also, as stated, I'd love to have more options to customize the UI.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ewalthour

@xboxdone74: I agree overall xbox has to chase down sony in sales with Sony selling 1 million in 24 hrs in north America with a couple of million left to sell in back order in US. Then a launch this week in Aussie land,then Europe then japan.

I am not talking about how much money Sony will make..I am talking expanding online and making the camera a viable product to buy and using the pad on controller innovatively.

I want yhe camera that why I talk about so much but iI don't want it to collect dust either.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Geminon

@Jaysonguy said:

@Geminon said:

@jayd02 said:

No they don't

yes.... they do. are you that bad at googling?

The "Blu-ray Disc Founder group" was started in May 2002 by nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung. Spearheaded by Sony Corporation.

The Bluray disc founder group has since been turned into the Blu-Ray Disc Association... of which Sony is a board member and holds a large stake.

Sony is credited with the creation of the disk structure technology and the manufacturing process. They currently holds the most patents related to the disk manufacturing process and disk structure of bluray's. they are payed a royalty for every bluray disk produced. Panasonic, however, holds the most patents period for the technology currently.

/end of discussion

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@Jaysonguy: They do, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

Never, ever, ever try to make a Sony Kinect.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jayd02

@Geminon: You should google more

http://www.avsforum.com/t/994913/how-much-of-blu-ray-does-sony-own/30

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9874317-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

They do own a percentage but not all nor the majority. Microsoft is also free to join BDA

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/263509/microsoft-welcome-to-join-blu-ray-fraternity/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/02/19/blu-ray-disc-association-to-microsoft-join-us

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@bleekz said:

Exactly! $10 less and free games galore that are within a year to brand new and they're very good games.

Sony is now only charging for online in order to compete against MS using all their money to buy exclusive DLC, timed DLC, and game exclusiveness. So now MS thought up this TV service crap to gain more revenue to bribe the companies with. That's most likely how they got Titan Fall to only be on X1.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

id be happy with Sony just allowing us to more personalize our backgrounds and stuff like that

I want to be able to do themes like on PS3. That was a very cool thing about PS3 & I made my own for free to boot.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ewalthour

I need Psn store to tell me when new demos are available in its own category not having to look at every game to see a demo is available

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Geminon

@jayd02 said:

They do own a percentage but not all nor the majority. Microsoft is also free to join BDA

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/263509/microsoft-welcome-to-join-blu-ray-fraternity/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/02/19/blu-ray-disc-association-to-microsoft-join-us

according to CNET, the top 4 majority share holders are Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Warner.... IN THAT ORDER. Sony holds under 30%....and with over 150 members of the foundation, they are absolutely the majority share holder.

so basically i just used your own references to prove my point. thanks. HUUUURRRR GOOGLE HARD!

insert_dignity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 insert_dignity

Another thing to keep in mind is for Sony to not let go of the good things their doing in the name of competition. PS Plus is a godsend and it's important that Sony continues to maintain the high quality of games the service offers. No short selling if they achieve market dominance. Also it could market the service better, having an add which says for the price of a single game you get a full library of critically acclaimed titles would be a compelling argument to any value shopper.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jayd02

@Geminon said:

@jayd02 said:

according to CNET, the top 4 majority share holders are Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Warner.... IN THAT ORDER. Sony holds under 30%....and with over 150 members of the foundation, they are absolutely the majority share holder.

so basically i just used your own references to prove my point. thanks. HUUUURRRR GOOGLE HARD!

way to add your own facts.

Also they said the top are "likely" and they didn't say that was the specific order.

Did you read anything on avsforum? probably not.

"Who stands to lose or gain the most, well, the company who stands to lose the most is Pioneer, they have banked heavily on the high-end market for a long time and Blu-ray gives them a great outlet. The others are far too diversified to be effected if Blu-ray were to fail. On gaining, the six big studios stand to gain the most, in the CE world it would be Panasonic and Sony which is why these are the two companies seen fighting most along with Pioneer for the future of Blu-ray."

"MEI (aka Panasonic) owns the largest share of IP in BD. Sony also commands a large share and owns essential disk replication patents and created wet emboss method for mass production of the BD50. The best move Sony ever made was to fully cooperate with MEI over the development of BD. MEI is the world's largest CE and main reason why VHS was victorious over Betamax. Sony learned that getting MEI on board assures a successful format. Both companies provided essential technology to make BD happen in the marketplace."

"i would not rule out how deep Panasonic is to any Blu-Ray players MEI is a HUGE company and i would not be surprised it they did not make a ton of the components in the first gen players. what i have not heard about is if they have any of the diodes need to make a blue laser player. there are only a few companies that can make those in large quantities. now Sony has a large stake in Blu-Ray because of the PS3, because of this they had no choice then to get disk pressing plants up faster then any one else. but saying they are the only one is just FUD, there are many different companies pressing Blu-Rays. and more important Sony does nothave any control over who makes pressing equipment or makes Blu-Ray disks. if they ask to much money they will be pushed aside by MEI or any other big company. But the format is owned by the company that hold the key patents that Blu-Ray can not function without. and the company that can get the most cash from the patent pool. that is Panasonic first, Sony second, then Pioneer then all the rest."

Maybe now you can read them since you couldn't go in and read them for yourself.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Geminon

@jayd02 said:

@Geminon said:

@jayd02 said:

way to add your own facts.

Also they said the top are "likely" and they didn't say that was the specific order.

Did you read anything on avsforum? probably not.

"Who stands to lose or gain the most, well, the company who stands to lose the most is Pioneer, they have banked heavily on the high-end market for a long time and Blu-ray gives them a great outlet. The others are far too diversified to be effected if Blu-ray were to fail. On gaining, the six big studios stand to gain the most, in the CE world it would be Panasonic and Sony which is why these are the two companies seen fighting most along with Pioneer for the future of Blu-ray."

"MEI (aka Panasonic) owns the largest share of IP in BD. Sony also commands a large share and owns essential disk replication patents and created wet emboss method for mass production of the BD50. The best move Sony ever made was to fully cooperate with MEI over the development of BD. MEI is the world's largest CE and main reason why VHS was victorious over Betamax. Sony learned that getting MEI on board assures a successful format. Both companies provided essential technology to make BD happen in the marketplace."

"i would not rule out how deep Panasonic is to any Blu-Ray players MEI is a HUGE company and i would not be surprised it they did not make a ton of the components in the first gen players. what i have not heard about is if they have any of the diodes need to make a blue laser player. there are only a few companies that can make those in large quantities. now Sony has a large stake in Blu-Ray because of the PS3, because of this they had no choice then to get disk pressing plants up faster then any one else. but saying they are the only one is just FUD, there are many different companies pressing Blu-Rays. and more important Sony does nothave any control over who makes pressing equipment or makes Blu-Ray disks. if they ask to much money they will be pushed aside by MEI or any other big company. But the format is owned by the company that hold the key patents that Blu-Ray can not function without. and the company that can get the most cash from the patent pool. that is Panasonic first, Sony second, then Pioneer then all the rest."

Maybe now you can read them since you couldn't go in and read them for yourself.

do you know the difference between IPs and shares? IPs are patents on an object or idea... meaning nobody else can make in exactly the same way as that patent. shares are ownership in a company....

let me make this simple for your simple mind. Panasonic owns the most patents on the technology itself. Sony owns the largest stake in the conglomerate that controls the technology.

i mean really... if you are going to try and sound intelligent, atleast know what you are talking about ffs. panasonic could own ALL the patents on BD technology and it wouldnt matter. sony is still the largest stakeholder.... and therefor has the largest say in what happens with that technology.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Just have to remember Xbox has apps but you need to pay Xbox live gold to even reach these subscription services nothing is free on Xbox.sony on the other hand allows all apps to be free to get to and free to play games are exactly that free to play. Think alot of people forget this. Any one buying a xbox one is brain washed or has a load of money to waste

Je5usPiece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Je5usPiece
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

Simple, don't be like Microsoft :-)

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jayd02

@Geminon: ok

KeepClearx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KeepClearx
Member since 2013 • 59 Posts

I think the main thing would be more exclusives & great games, frequent updates, focus on gaming as it is a gaming console after-all.
More respect for the company: keep on listening to the consumers, being helpful with repairs and issues, quick and efficient to fix problems. All these things add up making the customers feel more comfortable when purchasing a console. Don't go the Microsoft route with lies, trying to be a greedy corporation all in it for the money and not caring about the gamer needs. As much as the apps and everything are cool, the focus shouldn't be on them all - that's the idea I was getting from Microsoft and why I went with Sony this time.
For media and gadgets i'll use a tablet

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#49  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Go the ps2 route.

Ps2 had the largest library. It has games that appeal to every gamer. It has good first party, and good multiplat games. Ps2 has just about an even amount of games per genre. (Not like this gen where fps dominated) And it has the best rpg games ever.

Ps4 needs to be diverse, with a variety of games and a variety of genres.

christianRho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 christianRho

@ristactionjakso: but they can't really do this when MSFT is cutting deals and developing their own good games.