My top 5 games of the PS3 generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by brown_lantern (7 posts) -

Hey guys,

I just wanted to write in and share my top 5 games of the PS3 generation.

My number 5 game: Journey: I never been the guy who buys indie games, so the fact I was even willing to get this game says a lot. The ending was a lesson on how to create a visual spectacle that matched the emotional resonance created by the game play.

My number 4 game: Metal Gear Solid 4 I bought a PlayStation for this game in the first place, and still enjoyed the game, even though it has to be one of the most convoluted plots of all time

My number 3 game: Uncharted 2. The set pieces in this game created one of the most immersive games of this generation. I loved the beginning train scene!

My number 2 game: Mass Effect 2 This game made me care about EVERY character in the game, so much so, that I had to make sure everyone lived during the suicide mission.

And my Number game 1: The Last of Us The pinnacle of gaming for this generation and shows you can tell an amazing story without having to have an explosion every two seconds.

What's your top 5 games of the PS3 generation?

#1 Edited by voodoocanzo (46 posts) -

Just for story mode not including multiplayer my top 5 are

1. Dragon age origins

2. Uncharted 2

3dragon age 2

4. Uncharted 3

5. Gta 5

#2 Posted by BH14 (1677 posts) -

Top 5 is too difficult because there are so many great games..... You should make a top 10 list.

#3 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4321 posts) -

Picking just 5 games is really hard in a generation full of amazing games. I'll try my best. In no real order.

Uncharted 2

Mass Effect 2

Dragon Age: Origins

Nier

Skyrim

#4 Posted by marcheegsr (2528 posts) -

Mass effect 2

Uncharted 2

Fallout 3

Metal gear solid 4

Mass effect 1

#5 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8796 posts) -

5) Darksiders

4) inFAMOUS 2

3) Rayman Origins

2) Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012

1) Batman Arkham City

#6 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -
  1. Skyrim
  2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  3. Dragon's Crown
  4. Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
  5. Lego: Lord of the Rings
#7 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5843 posts) -

1) Bioshock

2) Portal 2

3) Bioshock Infinite

4) Mass Effect series

5) Last of Us

Runner up: Uncharted 2

#8 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

1. Dark Souls

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

4. Portal 2

5. Skyrim

runners up: Far Cry 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Tomb Raider, Fallout 3

#9 Posted by marlobc (802 posts) -
  1. Uncharted 2
  2. The Last of us
  3. Mass effect 2
  4. Heavenly sword
  5. MGS4
#10 Posted by CTR360 (6990 posts) -

1 last of us 2 GTA V 3 ni no kuni 4 uncharted 2 5 tomb raider

#11 Posted by benleslie5 (7783 posts) -
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Folklore
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Uncharted series
  • Valkyria Chronicles
#12 Edited by wwefanforlife (3247 posts) -

In no order

• GTA V
  • Saints Row 2
  • The Last of Us
  • Uncharted 2
  • No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
#13 Edited by david61983 (155 posts) -

RDR

Skyrim

Uncharted 2

TLOU

Fallout 3

#14 Posted by FinalFighters (1402 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human revolution

Journey

Uncharted 2

Batman: Arkham City

Read Dead Redemption

#15 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2397 posts) -

Bioshock: Infinite (the story is great and I can't get enough of the fantastic art style and world they created)

Skyrim (most hours I've put in any game this year)

Uncharted 2 (my first PS3 game, some really awesome levels, and I put a lot of time in the MP)

Demon's Souls (just a great game, I think it's better than Dark Souls)

Beyond: Two Souls (I was hesitant going into this game, but wow, the ending and story were great and the interactive movie type gameplay, while not traditional, made a nice blend of interactivity and story, boosting the amount of immersion. My only issue is the last section leading up to the ending was cliche and predictable, they game really excels in smaller, intimate moments, but the big blockbuster moments are kind of lacking, as is their ability to create a love story).

#16 Posted by TheTenth10 (3042 posts) -

Bioshock

Borderlands

DCUO

Kingdoms of Amalur

Sports champions 2 (tennis game)

#17 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -
  1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Forza 4
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. Batman Arkham City
  5. Tomb Raider
#18 Edited by BH14 (1677 posts) -

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Forza 4
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. Batman Arkham City
  5. Tomb Raider

Forza 4 stinks on the PS3!

#19 Posted by MarcRecon (5503 posts) -

Arkham City

Ghost Recon FS

MGS4

Army of 2: DC

RE5

The next 5-10 would be made up of Sony and 360 exclusives.

#20 Posted by judaspete (392 posts) -

Mirror's Edge

King of Fighters 13

Soul Calibur 4

Journey

Vanquish

#21 Posted by Minishdriveby (9777 posts) -

If we're just taking into account PS3 titles

1. Dark Souls

2. The Last of Us

3. Rayman Origins

4. Journey

5. GTA V

#22 Posted by sukraj (22296 posts) -

GTA V

Tomb Raider

Metro Last Light

#23 Edited by rocketsheet (2 posts) -

5.Call of Duty : Black Ops

4.WWE' 13

3.GTA IV

2.Call of Duty : Black Ops 2

1.GTA V

#24 Posted by bezza2011 (2395 posts) -

sticking with exclusives

1. Uncharted 2 - that game was just everything what an action/adventure game should be.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4 - the sheer tribute to metal gear solid on ps1 made this game the best, i've grown up with this series so enjoyed everything and the end game moving from ships with that massive speach was just immense.

3. The last of us - this game was amazing, it would be at the top but i don't think it hit me aswel as uncharted 2 did and it didn't give me that emotion that metal gear gave me, but wow that story was great and i cannot wait to see what naughty dog do next for a new ip i know uncharted 4 is coming but i like when they do risky games like the last of us.

4. Heavy Rain i enjoy all his games but this one just brought it all together not played beyond as i have no ps3 so i can't put that on

5. Motorstrom - I don't think i've had that much fun with a racing game, i mean the level designs and graphics were just amazing for the time, i still play it now time to time

#25 Posted by Netret0120 (2046 posts) -

1. TLOU

2.GTAV

3.MGS4

4.Uncharted 2

5. COD4- One of the 1st games i played online and spent well over 300 hours on it. Great game

#26 Edited by sukraj (22296 posts) -

5.Call of Duty : Black Ops

4.WWE' 13

3.GTA IV

2.Call of Duty : Black Ops 2

1.GTA V

Nice list bud.

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@BH14 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:
  1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Forza 4
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. Batman Arkham City
  5. Tomb Raider

Forza 4 stinks on the PS3!

ops, sorry :P, i somehow forgot that

#28 Posted by 11_17_06 (762 posts) -

1. MGS 4

2. Demons Souls

3. El Shaddai

4. Uncharted 3

5. L.A. Noire

#29 Posted by blamix99 (1713 posts) -

1. The Last of Us

2. Uncharted 2

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. GTA V

5. God of War 3, Demon Souls =)

#30 Edited by Thajewbear (24 posts) -

My personal favorites:

1. Dead Space 2

I just couldn't stop playing this entire series. Absolutely amazing games.

2. Dark Souls

If you haven't played this game you are just missing out...

3. GTA V

How can I not mention this...

4. L.A. Noire

This is one of my personal favorites. Rockstar just did everything right with this one.

5. Fallout 3

This game was just great...

Honorable mentions: Deus Ex Human Revolution, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Resistance 3... I'm sure I'm missing many games.

EDIT: I almost forgot Fallout 3 :o

#31 Edited by sebs09 (475 posts) -

For me, these are the games that I didn't feel like I was torturing myself just to finish it, or I just had an absolute blast to play. In no particular order:

1. Uncharted 2: Amazing single player, but what kept me coming back for more was the multiplayer. My friend and I played mp for 2 years, that is until Naughty Dog screwed it up with all the "enhancements." That and the people abusing the situational awareness perk.

2. Puppeteer: A truly unique experience, one that I feel like was one of a kind this generation. I loved the way the characters interacted with each other, especially the dialogue between the characters and the narrator. The boss battles were pretty awesome as well.

3. WWE 13: This was the one and only wrestling game this generation that I really enjoyed. The Attitude Era mode brought back fond childhood memories, and it was a game that when I started playing, I looked up at the clock and realized that 3 hours just flew by.

4. The Last of Us: From the minute I saw the first trailer for this game, I knew I had to have it. It was an interesting concept, and it didn't hurt that it was made by Naughty Dog. The story was truly amazing (I especially liked the part with the giraffes as it was something that I had really never seen in a game before), and just like Uncharted 2, the multiplayer has me hooked.

5. Tomb Raider/DMC: This one is a toss up for me. Both were amazing reboots, and both had strong core gameplay that kept me coming back (happily I might add) for more.

The Playstation 3 might be my favorite console of all time, at least it is the one I have held onto the longest (4 years). It's sad to see the end slowly coming, but it's good Sony will keep supporting it for at least a few more years. And it doesn't hurt that my backlog will keep me busy at least for another 1 or 2 years. Can't wait to see what that time will bring!

#32 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8796 posts) -

sticking with exclusives

1. Uncharted 2 - that game was just everything what an action/adventure game should be.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4 - the sheer tribute to metal gear solid on ps1 made this game the best, i've grown up with this series so enjoyed everything and the end game moving from ships with that massive speach was just immense.

3. The last of us - this game was amazing, it would be at the top but i don't think it hit me aswel as uncharted 2 did and it didn't give me that emotion that metal gear gave me, but wow that story was great and i cannot wait to see what naughty dog do next for a new ip i know uncharted 4 is coming but i like when they do risky games like the last of us.

4. Heavy Rain i enjoy all his games but this one just brought it all together not played beyond as i have no ps3 so i can't put that on

5. Motorstrom - I don't think i've had that much fun with a racing game, i mean the level designs and graphics were just amazing for the time, i still play it now time to time

All opinions of the quality of Uncharted 2 aside, I never understood how it could qualify as an action adventure. 90% of its gameplay is concerned with third person shooting mechanics. That makes me believe it belongs in the TPS genre personally. I always thought that an exploration component was necessary to place a game under the action adventure genre in the vain of Zelda, Metroid and the Batman Arkham games, but I could be wrong.

#33 Posted by rullo_100 (16 posts) -

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

2 Portal 2

3 Call of Duty: Black Ops

4 Fallout 3

5 Gran Turismo 5

#34 Edited by ristactionjakso (5713 posts) -

Top 5 is kinda hard to do because there are so many that could make my list. But I'll give you 5 favorites anyway.

1) Dues Ex HR

2) Darksiders 1 and 2 (gonna put them both here)

3) Rage

4) Far Cry 3

5) Dragon Age Origins

#35 Edited by sukraj (22296 posts) -

Top 5 is kinda hard to do because there are so many that could make my list. But I'll give you 5 favorites anyway.

1) Dues Ex HR

2) Darksiders 1 and 2 (gonna put them both here)

3) Rage

4) Far Cry 3

5) Dragon Age Origins

I forgot to list far cry 3

#36 Edited by mattamomo (920 posts) -

My 5th

Assassins creed:

The first AC game was one of my first games and although many criticised the repetition, I loved it

My 4th

Call of Duty: modern warfare:

My first CoD game and by far the most enjoyable and the last one that was a considerable improvement.

My 3rd

Demon souls:

Unique and utterly addictive, nicely challenging and surprisingly engrossing.

My 2nd

Metal gear solid 4:

Needless to say it was just a fantastic game with some of the most enjoyable gameplay and cinematics I have played.

My 1st

The last of us:

The game was without a doubt the best at drawing me in, keeping my attention and creating characters I really cared about and thought of weeks after playing.

#37 Edited by Blabadon (26011 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

sticking with exclusives

All opinions of the quality of Uncharted 2 aside, I never understood how it could qualify as an action adventure. 90% of its gameplay is concerned with third person shooting mechanics. That makes me believe it belongs in the TPS genre personally. I always thought that an exploration component was necessary to place a game under the action adventure genre in the vain of Zelda, Metroid and the Batman Arkham games, but I could be wrong.

It's a third person action/adventure shooter.

#38 Edited by crewe8 (680 posts) -

Mines got to be

1. Last of us
  2. Heavy rain
  3. Arkham Asylum
  4. Red Dead Redemption
  5. La Noire ( because it was a little different )

Of course you have the fifa's, gta's and battlefields...but tried to stay away from those franchises.

#39 Edited by klonoafanboy122 (203 posts) -

now this is my opinion ok so dont say i have bad taste in games because i dont

5: journey

4:atelier rorona

3:lego marvel super heroes(suprisingly fun)

2:rayman legends

1:batman arkham assylum

#41 Posted by yokofox33 (29402 posts) -
  1. Valkyria Chronicles
  2. Ni No Kuni
  3. Assassin's Creed 2
  4. Resonance of Fate
  5. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

#42 Posted by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

I found The Last of Us to be very boring