My PS3 won't play DVDs??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Pusha_A (161 posts) -

Ok guys I got a HDMI cable today and hooked it up between my ps3 and 32' plasma and it works fine with all my games looking better on screen, however when I put a DVD in my ps3 and select to play it my screen goes or weird and wont play the dvd and I get taken back to the PS3 home screen?

I'd appreciate any help here or in a private messege to me, thanks.

#2 Posted by leke (501 posts) -
Did you enable 480i/p in the display settings? It says somewhere that the PS3 wil not upscale DVDs...
#3 Posted by americahellyeah (16548 posts) -
PS3's can uscale DVDS, try just setting your resolution to 480i/p and see if you can play one then. that would limit down the number of things that it could be, and we'll figure it out from there.
#4 Posted by Pusha_A (161 posts) -

I think I fixed it guys, I just turnt 'DVD Upscaler' off? Now its playing dvds, does that sound right?

Thanks guys.

#5 Posted by americahellyeah (16548 posts) -

I think I fixed it guys, I just turnt 'DVD Upscaler' off? Now its playing dvds, does that sound right?

Thanks guys.

Pusha_A

that should work, it sounds like you might have a problem with the console itself, i'd say you give sony a call, jsut as a precaution, because you should be able to upscale your dvds.

#6 Posted by kerisonfire (3 posts) -
I have a problem with a PS3 !! My boyfriend's PS3 just stopped loading blu ray... He got a new HD TV yesterday so bought blu ray dvds. We watched one yesterday - then he played a game - then we watched another blu ray.... He always switches off the PS3 by the back button as he didn't think it was harming it... Today we tried loading blu ray, and it will not load... PS3 menu recognises the DVD, but when playing, we get a blank/black screen. He tried putting a game in and although it loads, the PS button on the controller then won't work to return to the menu, the screen goes grey over the game and doesn't look right. I've read somewhere about the diode laser, will this be the issue? Any ideas on how to fix this without sending it in? Already had to do this once.... !!!!!