This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

Sony was warned weeks ago that the hackers would strike on xmas and seem to do ziltch about it. I was hacked on xbox live. It's ridiculous these companies are getting paid millions to maintain these servers that can be taken down by a few snot nose brats posing as hackers. Pure ridiculous.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@gamevet77 said:

Sony was warned weeks ago that the hackers would strike on xmas and seem to do ziltch about it. I was hacked on xbox live. It's ridiculous these companies are getting paid millions to maintain these servers that can be taken down by a few snot nose brats posing as hackers. Pure ridiculous.

1. You weren't hacked on Xbox Live, learn what words mean before you use them

2. Companies like these take the millions and make sure they can't be hacked, which they are not.

What's happening here is something different from hacking.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

victim blaming seems scummy to me.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@gamevet77: you can't really protect yourself from a DDoS attack. Think of it of a 4 lane from 4 sides where you get red's and greens to let information stop and pass naturally. These guys just put everything on green and let everything crash

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@gamevet77 said:

2. Companies like these take the millions and make sure they can't be hacked, which they are not.

Why don't you learn something kid before you talk out of your rear.

1. I was hacked on xbox live 1 year ago. They got my info and put charges on my card

2. Whatever the reason they are unable to keep the servers up. Thats their problem

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@gamevet77 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@gamevet77 said:

Why don't you learn something kid before you talk out of your rear.

1. I was hacked on xbox live 1 year ago. They got my info and put charges on my card

2. Whatever the reason they are unable to keep the servers up. Thats their problem

1. Nope, not hacked, you're one of the many people who doesn't protect their stuff online.

2. We're not talking about hacking, it's clearly visible that you don't understand what's going on so I'm going to explain it to you in the simplest way possible.

Let's imagine that Microsoft and Sony have 100 operators between them, the people doing this call all 100 lines at the same time thereby tying up all the resources.

Now of course because you're blaming the victim (classy, really classy) you'll say "just get more lines!" and to that the answer is they'll just block more lines. There is no way to block the lines from the start because they need to be open to all users. Now once the attack starts they can start to weed them out but that takes time.

The two companies being targeted are in the unique position of having what is a very low tech attack do significant damage to them and their users.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

@gamevet77: IT's not a hack, it's a DDoS attack

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@gamevet77: you can't really protect yourself from a DDoS attack. Think of it of a 4 lane from 4 sides where you get red's and greens to let information stop and pass naturally. These guys just put everything on green and let everything crash

that isnt even a remotely legitimate analogy for a DDoS.....

a DDoS has nothing to do with allowing traffic to pass through a server (putting everything on green). a DDoS attack at its core is sending so many requests to a server that it overloads its ability to process said requests and it crashes. the requests can either be accepted or denied, it doesnt matter, because they still have to be processed either way. its the processing of the requests that cause the issue..... not them being accepted.

ANYONE can DDoS a server. a 12 year old with 20 minutes of internet research can DDoS a server. that is the problem with these kinds of attacks. low barrier to entry. that is why they are so common.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@cyloninside said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

that isnt even a remotely legitimate analogy for a DDoS.....

a DDoS has nothing to do with allowing traffic to pass through a server (putting everything on green). a DDoS attack at its core is sending so many requests to a server that it overloads its ability to process said requests and it crashes. the requests can either be accepted or denied, it doesnt matter, because they still have to be processed either way. its the processing of the requests that cause the issue..... not them being accepted.

ANYONE can DDoS a server. a 12 year old with 20 minutes of internet research can DDoS a server. that is the problem with these kinds of attacks. low barrier to entry. that is why they are so common.

I didn't say that, it's basicly just overloading the server with useless information. I know this already since i have taken the course in college