This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DrunkMonkeyFist (686 posts) -

For anyone thats played World of Warcraft or any other MMO's out there , you know the kind of following these games generate. Don't get me wrong I still love my PS3 , but I find myself spending alot more time on my PC because of the immersive nature of these types of games. Im just wondering if Sony has any plans to introduce an MMO game to the PS3. In my opinion if this were to get underway and work it could be the next competitive edge that Sony could utilize over other consoles.Any opinions?

#2 Posted by Achaean728 (459 posts) -

For anyone thats played World of Warcraft or any other MMO's out there , you know the kind of following these games generate. Don't get me wrong I still love my PS3 , but I find myself spending alot more time on my PC because of the immersive nature of these types of games. Im just wondering if Sony has any plans to introduce an MMO game to the PS3. In my opinion if this were to get underway and work it could be the next competitive edge that Sony could utilize over other consoles.Any opinions?

DrunkMonkeyFist
I dont see a problem with MMOs on a PS3. I've played an MMO on console before (FFXI) and enjoyed it. The only problem I forsee with putting games like MMOs on console is a less accessible game. Look at WoW for example, it can run on a very wide array of machines ranging from really old to really high end PCs, not to mention most everyone already has a PC for work/school. Consoles on the other hand (especially the PS3) would require those same individuals to go out and shell a few hundred dollars just to simply play the MMO. Oh and look up M.A.G (Massive Action Game) its a FPS MMO coming to the PS3 at some point, maybe later this year, I dont quite remember.
#3 Posted by bsman00 (6038 posts) -
#4 Posted by Solid_Snak3Xx (413 posts) -
#5 Posted by bsman00 (6038 posts) -
[QUOTE="bsman00"]Coming to a PS3 near you! http://dcuo.station.sony.com/ Solid_Snak3Xx
when is it coming out?? in 3 years? =x

SOme time this year
#6 Posted by DrunkMonkeyFist (686 posts) -
[QUOTE="DrunkMonkeyFist"]

Achaean728

I dont see a problem with MMOs on a PS3. I've played an MMO on console before (FFXI) and enjoyed it. The only problem I forsee with putting games like MMOs on console is a less accessible game. Look at WoW for example, it can run on a very wide array of machines ranging from really old to really high end PCs, not to mention most everyone already has a PC for work/school. Consoles on the other hand (especially the PS3) would require those same individuals to go out and shell a few hundred dollars just to simply play the MMO. Oh and look up M.A.G (Massive Action Game) its a FPS MMO coming to the PS3 at some point, maybe later this year, I dont quite remember.

I wasn't really suggesting that people who don't own PS3's currently go out and buy a PS3 just to play a MMO on a console. However , if I were a potential buyer of a console system , and enjoyed MMORPG or other MMO's , I would go out and buy the console that offered this genre. Also with WOW hitting 11.5 million users , the genre isn't something that should be ignored by console makers , especially Sony who is known to bring out immersive games.

The difficulty I foresee with bringing an MMORPG to the PS3 would be assigning a command map on the regular controllers(without the use of Keypad), other then that I don't see many problems , especially if Sony was smart enough to not charge monthly fees for the service.(not at first of course)

#7 Posted by munkeypoo45 (3220 posts) -
dc universe online is an mmorpg coming out for the ps3.
#8 Posted by amekhov (965 posts) -
DC Universe looks pretty bad. Keep an eye out for The Agency.
#9 Posted by DrunkMonkeyFist (686 posts) -

dc universe online is an mmorpg coming out for the ps3. munkeypoo45

looks interesting ..just wondering how the gameplay mechanics are gonna work out as far as tanks and healers etc...I dont know too many healer superheroes or supervillains

#10 Posted by TROD_BING (768 posts) -

[QUOTE="munkeypoo45"]dc universe online is an mmorpg coming out for the ps3. DrunkMonkeyFist

looks interesting ..just wondering how the gameplay mechanics are gonna work out as far as tanks and healers etc...I dont know too many healer superheroes or supervillains

cant that one girl in xmen heal ppl? I might be wrong I just remember something like that

#11 Posted by rsoxguy12 (1602 posts) -
Add some weapons, wizard hats and robes, and quests in home and you have your MMO TC:lol:
#12 Posted by AGMing (1694 posts) -

the last few years my MMO/Console gaming ratio has been about 75%/25%, its switched to about 50/50 now within the last few months due game releases for the PS3.

i used to be against the idea of MMO's on consoles but the PS3 seems quite well equiped for it.

the only MMO that i most definatly dont want comming out on the PS3 is KOTOR online. although i do love my PS3 i think KOTOR has the potential to be an amazing game and personaly i think the fact PC's are constantly upgradable compared to the PS3/360 having the game on a console would damage the potential growth and upgradeability of the game.

#13 Posted by DrunkMonkeyFist (686 posts) -

Yes , you're right PC's can always be upgraded and i hate to revert back to WOW to prove a point but , you obviously dont need top notch graphics to have sustainability for a long period of time...and as good as the graphics on PS3 currently are I can't see why people wouldn't play a good MMORPG on the same console years from now

#14 Posted by gamenerd15 (4434 posts) -
There is the DC Comics MMO as well as the Agency, The people who did Guild Wars are coming out with an MMO as well Sacred Angel 2. Some other MMO game that is geared towards young girls is coming. I am not saying that you would want to play the little girl game, I am just saying all the games that are coming out. We have that MAG. There are plenty of games coming to PS3.
#15 Posted by Achaean728 (459 posts) -
[QUOTE="Achaean728"][QUOTE="DrunkMonkeyFist"]

DrunkMonkeyFist

I wasn't really suggesting that people who don't own PS3's currently go out and buy a PS3 just to play a MMO on a console. However , if I were a potential buyer of a console system , and enjoyed MMORPG or other MMO's , I would go out and buy the console that offered this genre. Also with WOW hitting 11.5 million users , the genre isn't something that should be ignored by console makers , especially Sony who is known to bring out immersive games.

The difficulty I foresee with bringing an MMORPG to the PS3 would be assigning a command map on the regular controllers(without the use of Keypad), other then that I don't see many problems , especially if Sony was smart enough to not charge monthly fees for the service.(not at first of course)

I definitely agree with you. I wasnt suggesting that marketing an MMO on consoles would force people to go out and get consoles to play some new MMO. I was simply pointing out that most everybody has a PC already, and games like WoW allow those people to play regardless of the system they have; whereas console exclusive MMO titles would hinder those who dont have the console or the money to get one. But I'm with you, the MMO genre is growing by leaps and bounds, thanks mostly to the success of WoW, and it would be stupid for console developers to ignore this. As for assigning a command map and macros for a regular controller, Square Enix did a fairly good job with Final Fantasy XI. I actually found the controls to be better and more fun (imo) with a console controller vs. the traditional mouse and keyboard.
#16 Posted by crisvok (24 posts) -

DC UNIVERSE ONLINE COMING IN OCTOBER 5 09 and there are some healers like xorn(member of xmen even tho xmen is marvel not dc)

btw u dont play as characters , u create ur own and choose ur mentor like batman superman i think u can choose between good and evil.......

muahahahahhahahahahahha can't wait

#17 Posted by TheTenth10 (3038 posts) -

my favourite MMORPG is City of heroes, the spirit of the community is nice, most people play to discover new things, not be all power (it's limited to lvl 50 and has not been upped to 70 or 80 like other games), there's often new character classes or environments, and the chat system is very varied (with a channel system allowing to speak to friends, guild, people around or server).

If DC has these advantages I'll be happy to play it, the Pad gameplay interests me as I'm no PC player.

#18 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

I'll be keeping my eyes on DC Universe Online, The Agency and actually completely free MMO called - FreeRealms.

They will all offer different experiences, I'm quite curios of "The Agency".

#19 Posted by AuronST (15 posts) -

I'm sure everyone knows by now. But Borderlands Bcomes out on the oct 20, 2009.

It is a MMO FPS for the PS3 and Xbox360

It has alot of good stuff that RPG loves and FPS loves will both love. Its a FALLOUT 3 Online. No joke

#20 Posted by marcl18123 (2018 posts) -

I'm sure everyone knows by now. But Borderlands Bcomes out on the oct 20, 2009.

It is a MMO FPS for the PS3 and Xbox360

It has alot of good stuff that RPG loves and FPS loves will both love. Its a FALLOUT 3 Online. No joke

AuronST
Borderlands is not a MMO in any sence, its just Role Playing Shooter with 4 player co op, and the gameplay/setting is totally different from Fallout 3
Ps3 is getting a lot of mmorpgs tho,
DC Universe Online (F2P)
Final Fantasy XIV (P2P, most likely)
The Agency
Free Realms (F2P)
MAG (MMO FPS)
And its still rumored that NCSoft has a MMO in the works for the PS3
#21 Posted by octobermagic (522 posts) -

Long Story Short.

FF14

DC Universe online

#22 Posted by Colinski283 (174 posts) -
ff14 will be intersting
#23 Posted by JKnaperek (2019 posts) -
It's possible to play FFxi on your PS3. And FFxiv will be coming to PS3. I don't think I could ever play another MMO game though.
#24 Posted by Spetza- (6 posts) -
i love mmo on consoles - i played eqoa and it was amazing my fav game of all time i widh they made a new eq for the ps3 but i guess it wont happen. now im just looking forward to final fantasy xiv
#25 Posted by PrincePwnStar (409 posts) -

I believe FF is coming out with a new mmo for ps3 also.... search it.

#26 Posted by gugler990 (2009 posts) -

DC

FF14

MAG

#27 Posted by mushi799 (1162 posts) -

Looking forward to FF14, hopefully square will be more creative when it comes to PvP.

#28 Posted by Bobzfamily (1514 posts) -

Necroed thread?

#29 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

the last few years my MMO/Console gaming ratio has been about 75%/25%, its switched to about 50/50 now within the last few months due game releases for the PS3.

i used to be against the idea of MMO's on consoles but the PS3 seems quite well equiped for it.

the only MMO that i most definatly dont want comming out on the PS3 is KOTOR online. although i do love my PS3 i think KOTOR has the potential to be an amazing game and personaly i think the fact PC's are constantly upgradable compared to the PS3/360 having the game on a console would damage the potential growth and upgradeability of the game.

AGMing

WTF!, I want Old Republic on the PS3.

Can't afford/don't want a gaming PC , and I want that game.

#30 Posted by Thessassin (1819 posts) -

Please people check the dates on threads before posting in them. Spetza- could be a necromancer, look out for him.

#31 Posted by theycallmeRP (1656 posts) -

Please people check the dates on threads before posting in them. Spetza- could be a necromancer, look out for him.

Thessassin

what's a necromancer?

And anyway didn't Spetza say something new that referred to the topic? Isn't that okay?

Well anyway to the topic, I wouldn't mind paying a fee for an mmorpg for the PS3 since the network is free. I'd prefer no monthly charge but some of the better mmorpg have a monthly charge. I guess MAG counts but I'd prefer something in a fantasy setting.

#32 Posted by jcopp72 (5335 posts) -
their are and have been plans for MMOs on the PS3 DC Universe Online Final Fantasy XIV online Fallout MMO Elder Scrolls MMO
#33 Posted by mushi799 (1162 posts) -

Thessassin

who cares if people are still adding to it

#34 Posted by DrunkMonkeyFist (686 posts) -

Well the most recent thing to come out on PS3 as far as MMO is MAG. Not my cup of tea , but some seem to like it.

I personally would love to see something like an Elder Scrolls type of game on the console thats massive multiplayer.

#35 Posted by Bayello (13 posts) -

[QUOTE="AGMing"]

dercoo

WTF!, I want Old Republic on the PS3.

Can't afford/don't want a gaming PC , and I want that game.

KOTOR FTW!
#36 Posted by Dclan5 (1 posts) -
No one said you had to make the game for PS3 only. What I think Sony should do is make the MMO computer games compatible with the PS3. So if you want to pay to play WoW, then you can also do so on your PS3. i would also like to be able to play Tales of Pirates or Fiesta on the PS3. Of course you would want a keyboard to hook up to said PS3 but that is irrellevant. But I believe i could settle for a slightly more complex button layout on the already existing PS3 controller. i just think it would be neat for those games to be compatible with the PS3.