Mlb the show 15 statistical error

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

Just frustrating that something so simple isn't handled correctly. I have played around with the Road to the show twice and both times (6 total games I started as pitcher) any time I gave up a run I was the losing pitcher unless my team won. (My teams apparently suck fwiw because they only won one game out of six). So I'm 0-5 but realistically should have only been 0-1.

First game I pitched, I gave up an unearned run due to my second baseman overthrowing the third baseman and the runner scoring. I gave up 1 run through 3, and my team lost 2-0. Great, I got the loss (correctly) and am 0-1.

Second game I gave up a solo home run. Left the game with the score 1-0 after 3 innings. My team scored in the 5th to tie it up, but the other team scored three in the SEVENTH and went on to win 5-2.... I got the loss...WTF??? It isn't possible for me to get a win pitching under 5 innings as a starter, it is possible for a loss...BUT NOT IF YOUR TEAM SCORES MORE RUNS THAN YOU GAVE UP.. so now I'm 0-2.

Third game, I give up a run, leave he game tied 1-1. They score twice in the 6th and a run in the 9th. My team loses 4-1. I get another loss????? Statistically impossible.

Second attempt, very similar things. Just frustrating as hell and annoying.

Anyone else have the Show and noticed this?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

That's exactly how baseball works.....

You left one game with a deficit, you now own that loss. From the sound of the second game you left a tie game but you were the one who allowed that tie, another loss.

Pleeeebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Pleeeebz
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

Jaysonguy is correct.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

No, he isn't. No offense jaysonguy, you are way off on how wins/losses work. You saying if you allow a single run in a game, if your the first one to allow a run, yet your team loses 9-8 you would eat the loss. That is nowhere near correct. Yes I left the game with a deficit, but if my team scores AS MANY runs or more that I gave up (earned or unearned, you are off the hook for the loss, but you get a no decision). I have been playing/teaching/coaching baseball for over 30 years, and trust me this is incorrect. And just for good measure...

"The losing pitcher is the pitcher who allows the go-ahead run to reach base for a lead that the winning team never relinquishes. If a pitcher allows a run which gives the opposing team the lead, his team comes back to lead or tie the game, and then the opposing team regains the lead against a subsequent pitcher, the earlier pitcher does not get the loss.

If a pitcher leaves the game with his team in the lead or with the score tied, but with the go-ahead run on base, and this runner subsequently scores the go-ahead run, the pitcher who allowed this runner to reach base is responsible for the loss. This is true, regardless of the manner in which this batter originally reached base, and how he subsequently scored. If the relief pitching successfully completes the half-inning without surrendering the go-ahead run, the departed pitcher cannot receive a loss.

For example, on April 13, 2007, Carlos Zambrano of the Chicago Cubs was facing the Cincinnati Reds in the top of the 5th inning. He was taken out of the game with the Cubs leading 5–4 and the bases loaded. The pitcher who replaced him, Will Ohman, proceeded to allow two of the runners on base to score, giving the Reds a 6–5 lead. Although Zambrano was not pitching at the time the runs were scored, he was charged with the loss, as the base runners who scored were his responsibility.[3]"

Pleeeebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Pleeeebz
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

@Dilrod: Apologies - I read your original post differently.