Minimum Internet Speed Connection for Online play ???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ipik_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ipik_Fenris
Member since 2005 • 3627 Posts

i wonder to know whats the minimum speed for a decent online gaming experience...

when i used to own a 360, the only game in wich i lagged was RSV...(also played GeoW, PDZ, PGR3, COD2, COD4, Halo 3,

Chromehounds and never lagged in those ) but, since im gonna get a PS3 soon, id like to know if i will be able to be lag-free as i did when i had Live

thnks in advance :)

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts
well i play with a crappy connection of 1mb and COD4 plays fine online, it gets laggy about 20% of the time tho :P
bufu21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bufu21
Member since 2006 • 1214 Posts
1mb is good thats cable

i used to have cable didnt really lagg

now i have dsl which 150 n im in the yellow i should be in teh greens buh my ps3 connection is only 60% signal strength.
Ipik_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ipik_Fenris
Member since 2005 • 3627 Posts

if the modem/router that i have is i my room, and im gonna place the PS3 in my room too...what would be better for the connection speed??? plug the PS3 to the router ??? or use the Wi-Fi ( the PS3 will be at 8ft from the modem/router )

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

if the modem/router that i have is i my room, and im gonna place the PS3 in my room too...what would be better for the connection speed??? plug the PS3 to the router ??? or use the Wi-Fi ( the PS3 will be at 8ft from the modem/router )

Ipik_Fenris

yeah man, basically when the router is closer you have an optimal connection, and also dont forget turn off the pc or laptops that can be using the resources of the modem at the same time, and of course if you connect your ps3 with a cable it will be better than wireless

judas-savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 judas-savior
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts
1.5MB is probly ideal but to be honest it doesn't require much. When I moved house and was waiting for my ADSL to be provisoned I connect my laptop to dial up, routed it to my 360 or PS3 and was able to play online.

Online play doesn't use that much bandwidth as its just code being send back and forth as the visual side of things is all stored on the disc so yah, if it works on dial up [Lag was barable, not to terrible] it doesn't require much but optimal is 1.5MB but even if you have a awesome connection lag can still come up if your playing on servers too far away, play local servers and you'll have no issues =)
LocalGod_TM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LocalGod_TM
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
all you need is a broadband connection... sure a faster one will naturally be better but as long as its not dial up(which i guess according to dealrogers is still even possible if you bridge the connection) it will work... if you have cable or dsl your connection is fast enough
Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts
Guys it also depends on where your living!, i mean even if your having a 1 mb or 1.5 mb connection it doesn't mean you wont lagg it also depens on where you're living. So for example if your living in Egypt or any asian country your going to lagg 100%, now why is that lagg?? well because of the distance between the players your playing with and it takes a longer time to transfer your info via download and the upload wouldent come faster either.
bob_geldof221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bob_geldof221
Member since 2004 • 3259 Posts
i have 14.5mb connection almost all the time and get no lagg.
janti_hakouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 janti_hakouz
Member since 2004 • 3190 Posts
I live in Jordan (Middle East), and have a 1mb/256kb ADSL connection. Playing TF2 on my PC on European servers gives me (70-80) ping, which is quite good, and games doesn't lag.
Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts

I live in Jordan (Middle East), and have a 1mb/256kb ADSL connection. Playing TF2 on my PC on European servers gives me (70-80) ping, which is quite good, and games doesn't lag.janti_hakouz

Certain and few games dont give lagg but most of them do lagg if you live in the middle east or asia to be specific.

matar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 matar123
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i live in egypt and i have a 2mb connection and when i play online its on the red bar (lowest) how can i make it better??
Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts

Ipik_Fenris
The cable will always be more secure and a little faster
kenmaster2002m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kenmaster2002m
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i live in jordan also, but i have ping 130, which internet provider you re using, i am with TE-Data

please replay

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

It doesn't really matter what kind of connection you have.

Online gaming definitely depends on the latency within regions/countries. And as long as there is no interference(If you are using WLAN).

So if you want to play a almost no LAG game check the latency of the host. In most games you can see 4 bars which indicate their PING(4 bars for highest and 1 for lowest.) and having 1 bar will often get you kicked out of the game.

Hope this helps.

dcontaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dcontaldo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
im fine on any online game with an 800 k speed
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

Ping is more important than speed for online play... you're not really uploading or downloading files. Ping is determined by how far away you are from who you're playing with. It should be 20 or under for best results

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Minimum somewhere around 1.5MB. (This will be laggy at times)

For good connection - 3MB.

For optimal gameplay - 5MB+

Of course, your ping also matters, the lower the number the better.

Here is one of the websites where you can check your speed. Make sure you select the city you're in, or one close for optimal scan.

www.speedtest.net

For example, this is my result for Toronto, Canada:

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

^ is speedtest 100% accurate?

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

You at least need hi speed internet. Dial up won't work. I am not trying to be a**. as long as you have high speed, you should be able to play online.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

risako9

Well, my current Internet Provider plan is supposed to be 12MB.

I'm pretty much 95% accurate.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

risako9
it is but no matter who your ISP is the speed will fluctuate from test to test.. I usually sit around 20mb and >90 ping, i get little to no lag, but for stuff like Call of Duty which is all player servers you're gonna get lag no matter what once in while.
klouis9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 klouis9
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
would this be ok for some nba 2k11 online and a little bit of cod?
klouis9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 klouis9
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1154845320.png
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
Not including downloads, most games will do fine at 256kb/s and above. At 512kb/s+ you shouldn't have problems with any of your games. However, you should take into consideration your ping as well as speed.
Hemanthz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hemanthz
i'm gonna get my PS this week, would 2.5 Mbps be fine ? i'm also thinking of getting a 4Mbps connection, or will 2.5 be enough ?
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
i have 14.5mb connection almost all the time and get no lagg.bob_geldof221
14.5mb is overkill, in order to play online without any problems you only need 2mb.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MushroomWig
i'm gonna get my PS this week, would 2.5 Mbps be fine ? i'm also thinking of getting a 4Mbps connection, or will 2.5 be enough ?Hemanthz
2.5 will be fine but having a faster connection like 4 wouldn't hurt for when you download things from the store.
darfreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 darfreeze
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

I only have 2MBps. It works fine a few lags during peak hours but all's fine. XD

monker490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 monker490
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

I have a 512 kb/s connection. Works pretty damn good in COD and FIFA. Only sometimes the lag is unbearable in Cod, but otherwise it's just fine and dandy. But if you want tp play fighting games like Tekken or Blazblue you should get a better connection.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MushroomWig

I have a 512 kb/s connection. Works pretty damn good in COD and FIFA. Only sometimes the lag is unbearable in Cod, but otherwise it's just fine and dandy. But if you want tp play fighting games like Tekken or Blazblue you should get a better connection.

monker490
I would say that 512kb/s is the bare minimum for playing online, if you have an option you should always get something better.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Online play was and still is designed to be playable on dial-up, FPS and RTS are such low footprints on a connection that you'll never notice anything wrong, 1mb is plenty. Latency is the real issue but isn't speed related, a 50mb connection can be worse than dial-up in the latency department.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
i have 14.5mb connection almost all the time and get no lagg.bob_geldof221
Yeah, mine is 10.5, although it does drop from time to time, when everyone in the house is on.
BaraaTKHF992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BaraaTKHF992
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
guys , i have a 2mbs connection and the speed test results for me is: ping 55 ms download 1.60mbs upload 0.35mbs so please , can i play online with these speeds? and what are the optimal results? also i heard that cod mw3 and mk9 requires some extra requirments , is that true?
osiris667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 osiris667
Member since 2005 • 484 Posts

If you have an upload of 1mb and ping of no more than 50 then you're set. From what i've heard, online gaming relies on upload and ping much more so than download unless you're hosting.

BaraaTKHF992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BaraaTKHF992
so mine wont work? also should i hose games? i mean i can just participates in games without hosting right?
osiris667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osiris667
Member since 2005 • 484 Posts

You might notice some lag from time to time, but it'll be alright. Also, don't host.

realtonyfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 realtonyfs
Before I got my DSL connection installed, I used to just use my android phone as Wi-Fi hotspot,and connect my ps3 to it.And you wouldnt believe it.no lag on any game.Im talking about a normal 256kb 3G internet connection.
Get your Portable ID!
HidePuree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HidePuree
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Being the aspects you have for your internet speed, you would most likely be laggy in games where the host is far away (Ex. Florida - California). Chances are though, if he has great internet, you should have no problem, but if he has a connection like yours, you will lag. In most cases though, they find a lobby to fit your internet requirements. The only thing that you should worry about with this connection is to never download while you play. Being your upload speed is so slow, downloading will make your gameplay kill. Below I gave an estimate of the ideal connection for Xbox/PS3 usage. Horrible Connection: 1.5 MBPS (Both download and upload) Withstand able Connection: 5 - 10 MBPS (5 - 10 for download, a 1.5 - 2 for an upload) Great Connection: 15+ MBPS (15 MBPS+ for download, a 2 - 5 MBPS for an upload) Also, with the params I was given before, I could put together a few ISP's and what plan would fit within the Withstand able connection line; At&t: Max Internet (12 MBPS download) Verizon Fios: Good (15 MBPS download by 5 MBPS upload *recommended for perfect gaming*) TWC: Standard or Turbo (15-20 MBPS *recommended Turbo for uploading / downloading games/files and/or using tablets, other computers, etc..* Comcast: Performance Starter or Performance Cox: Preferred (23 MBPS *first package is not ideal for gaming*) Google Fiber; Free Internet: Great for one device in online (offers 5 MBPS) Paid Internet: Great for multiple devices, uploading, downloading, and playing PS3/Xbox all at the same time Explanation behind Google Fiber; Google Fiber is now an ISP along with Google, YouTube, Gmail, Documents, and much more... What they plan on achieving is two things; fast internet, and more servers within each state for web hosting. This will run great for businesses and home, because a 100 MBPS connection could run a business, even 50 MBPS could. But, they offer 1 gigabyte speeds for a fairly decent price, meaning that you will get PERFECT connection! i.e. Johnny and Fred are playing PS3, Johnny is uploading a two gigabyte video, and downloading over 20 gigabytes of pictures. There mom is updating her iPad's 100 apps, Johnny's dad is doing an on-the-web radio station and was tired of their old ISP. With them doing all of that, Johnny and Fred are getting a 5 bar connection, and everyone else is happy. They still have enough bandwidth to run guests, or other members that are away without any lag at all! Now in my case, I have At&t, below is an attachment of my speed result. I can tell you that I have three Xboxes and they can all play online perfect with an non-laggy connection.  So, those should give you a rough estimate around what speeds to get, even if your ISP was not listed. For any I have missed, I would like to apologize in advanced. Remember that the first plan is usually not the case.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

depends on the game 1-3 mbps as long as it gets decent ping.

lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

At least 5MB for a download, and at least 1MB for upload speed, just so you don't have to worry too much about any horrible lag you might experience