mgs ground zero review spoiler alert

#1 Edited by ewalthour (576 posts) -

Ok I played last night for 3 hrs and finally finished the main mission. I can see If I become good at stealth and running to rescue Chico and paz that you can finish in 30 min or less. But the game was meant to explore different ways to infiltrate the base.

First let me say I got cauggt by the first spotlight so I had fight. It will take me some time getting use to the new and improved snake abilities but I love the fact that I am not afraid to get in a gun battle since snake has great shooting mechanics. I font want to shoot because there is more reward to stealth than gunning down the enemy. I love snake fast running and being able to jump on objects and jump down and shoot while moving. I want t o figure out how to take gun out of eneny hands while in cqc and then shoot him.

The enemy is very smart and this makes the game fun and challenging. I wanted to explore the surrounding so this also contributeed to finishing in 3 hrs. I got a E grade but soon I can drop the significantly. I did more killing then stealthing.

I confess the graphics didn't blow me away probably since I watched a lot of videos. I can see in a yr the graphics will be superb with phantom pain. Now don't get me wrong the game looks really good especially the lighting effects. Oh the only vehicle I drove was the keep it felt like a jeep should feel..like a tank in mobility.

The main mission has high replay. Ok.. both cutscenes were great and I don't get those who say it's so gross. I think it's realistic war type situation and the thought was more gross then the actual scene. The trailer seem more grotesque then on the game. I think the shocker was the girl blowing up after thinking they took the bomb out. I also thought it was a stretch for paz to stand up after getting her guts ripped open to remove the bomb without anesthesia. This girl should have went into a coma.

What I would like to see in phantom pain is when u shoot the enemy fir instance in the leg they hobble off to hide and leave a trail ogle blood but they still shoot at u etc. The enemy moan and move around after being mortally wounded but don't think they shoot at you.

I give the game 8/10 and look forward to phantom pain. If u haven't played mgs before or in a long time then expect to take time warming up to new mechanics but they feel good the more u know how to use them.

#2 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Great, brief review. I'm waiting for a possible GOTY combo with the main game.

#3 Posted by porkchopxp (1129 posts) -

For a prologue, Ground Zeroes is a fantastic primer. It's everything the promise of Peacewalker hinted at in regards to what the next Metal Gear proper game would be. If you're a Metal Gear Solid fan and you're hung up on the price and waiting, I ask you, why wait? Kojima has snuck in enough fan service to put a smile on any MGS fan's face AND the Omega Base is a fun playground to explore for any fan. The five side missions are designed to help players approach the base in different ways and also make sure you explore every inch. To get every trophy it took me about 14 hours of official time but with retries and random exploration I'd say I've sunk about 20 hours into the game. For $30, I'd say that's not bad as I've paid $60 for 5-6 hour experiences in the past. Also, as a huge fan I'm happy to get any Metal Gear much less something as fun as Ground Zeroes happens to be. It might have been easier to stomach the wait for Phantom Pain had Ground Zeroes released closer to PP's release but I'm really glad to have GZs to play now.

One caveat though, your enjoyment of Ground Zeroes will be higher if you have played and finished Peacewalker. Not only will you know what's going on storywise but you'll also understand the gamedesign shift from linear level to linear level to bitesized mini-missions. Base-building and soldier recruiting as well as the R&D aspects, while not present in GZs, will certainly make their return in PP and playing Peacewalker (if you have haven't already) will give you a better Idea of what PP's complete package will contain. Geesh, I sound like Kojima, but it's all true as there are a lot of Metal Gear fans who skipped out on Peacewalker because of the platforms the game is on, so, Ground Zeroes really is a good "bridge" release to get those players who last played MGS with MGS4 to see where the franchise has gone and where it's going.

If you're a fan, don't wait, go out and get it now!

#4 Posted by donalbane (16139 posts) -

I want the interrogated guards to have voice work, personally. My only complaint against the game. Other than that, I am super-impressed. I went through and it took me 3 hours to hold up the entire base. It made escaping a breeze... until those guys spawn behind you when you free Chico an Paz. But still, I only got a B because I took so long. I so want to get an S on this bad boy.

#5 Posted by porkchopxp (1129 posts) -

I want the interrogated guards to have voice work, personally. My only complaint against the game. Other than that, I am super-impressed. I went through and it took me 3 hours to hold up the entire base. It made escaping a breeze... until those guys spawn behind you when you free Chico an Paz. But still, I only got a B because I took so long. I so want to get an S on this bad boy.

If you want the S rank on the campaign mission, don't forget to extract the lone POW in the upper left quadrant of the refugee camp(the multi-tented, pit to the left of the initial mission drop location), most players are not even aware of his existence. Rescuing him also grants you a cassette tape too.

#6 Edited by ewalthour (576 posts) -

@shellcase86: thanks..

Finallly got some feedback. I relooked at my review and had a lot of mispells which

happens typing on smartphone. I too have clock in over 13 hrs and only at 35% or so completion. I have finished all the missions and opened up De ja vu but just played around running fast with the sparks flying off my boots. I wish I could wield my sword like from mgs 1 days. The ninja was a great boss fight back in the day.

I can't wait to see the boss fights hideo has in store for phantom pain. Does anyone know if you have the mission seen in prior videos before release of gamw where u can escape compound in jeep and drive thru checkpoint? I think It was the same mission where u hide in truck in final game. I wonder instead of leaving by chopper after blowing up tank can u drive off in jeep. It's the mission to destroy anti air missiles.

What would u like to see as far as additions to gameplay for phantom pain? I would like to see snake or big boss be able to crawl and grab enemy ankle to take them down. Punch eneny but have combo moves vs the pre program hit cq 5 times in a row to see all the takedowns. Maybe the CQ can only use one button since all the buttons are used for other functions.

I love snake can jump on buildings and jump off and snake feels way more handy during alert mode. You can take out the entire based after setting off alert. Where as before once caught in felt u had to hide because if u fought u would die too easily. I am glad there is no more top down view and the view cone is gone. It is way easier to pull up menu for items and weapons during a fight. I love throwing enemies into the ocean near the prison camp.

#7 Edited by donalbane (16139 posts) -

@porkchopxp said:

@donalbane said:

If you want the S rank on the campaign mission, don't forget to extract the lone POW in the upper left quadrant of the refugee camp(the multi-tented, pit to the left of the initial mission drop location), most players are not even aware of his existence. Rescuing him also grants you a cassette tape too.

Yeah, one of the guards you interrogate tells you they are going to execute a guy there, and you can see him if you toy with the searchlight. However, I learned the hard way last night on my first HARD play through that you must get him first. I did everything else and went to go get him and he was gone/dead. I got an A.

Here's a pro-tip... If you tranquilize a guard, and don't want him to wake up, kick him with the attack button then immediately draw your pistol on him - you will hold him up and he won't get up again even if you have to reload a checkpoint unlike tranquilized guards. Furthermore, if you move them to a bush or cover while they are out, you can make them remain 'held-up' anywhere you like.

#8 Posted by ewalthour (576 posts) -

@donalbane: I am sure what you mean. I have kicked a guard on the ground thinking it would put them out longer. Why would u kick him then when u pull out your weapon he wakes up?

Have u driven away from a mission on jeep with the cutscene of driving over a guard post? This was in a trailer before the game came out. I believe it's the mission where u start out hidden in the truck.

#9 Edited by donalbane (16139 posts) -

@donalbane: I am sure what you mean. I have kicked a guard on the ground thinking it would put them out longer. Why would u kick him then when u pull out your weapon he wakes up?

Have u driven away from a mission on jeep with the cutscene of driving over a guard post? This was in a trailer before the game came out. I believe it's the mission where u start out hidden in the truck.

It's called "holding them up", which means making them put up their hands and dropping their weapon. You can then talk to them and either interrogate them or say, "Get down" and they will lie down on the ground indefinitely unless discovered by another guard. It's a better option than tranquilizing them because you can interrogate them and the will never wake up unless discovered.

#10 Posted by ewalthour (576 posts) -

@donalbane: I never saw a command for them to get on the ground just call a another soldier or interrogate.

#11 Posted by ewalthour (576 posts) -

ok i figured out how to make the enemy get down on the ground and stay there.