List of Vita games that do not require a memory card

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

Theres been a lot of confusion around the internet as well as a lot of misinformation about this subject. Below is a list of games that do not require a memory card followed by the list of games that do require a memory card. The lists may not be entirely complete but most launch titles are on one of the lists.

Does not require card:

Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7
Asphalt Injection
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
F1 2011
Dynasty Warriors Next
Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru
Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Army Corps of Hell
Shinobido 2
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
Michael Jackson
Mahjong Fight Club
Let's Try Bass Fishing Fish on Next
Lord of Apocalypse
Touch My katamari
Street Fighter x Tekken
Virtua Tennis 4
FIFA 12
Mortal Kombat
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Ragnarok Oddyssey
Street Fighter X Tekken

Requires card:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Dream Club Zero
Disgaea 3: Absense of Detention
Everybody's Golf 6
Monster Raider
Ridge Race
Wipeout 2048
Gravity Rush
Little Deviants
MLB12: The Show
Rayman Origins
Modnation Racers: Road Trip
Unit 13
Lumines

If anyone notices a game missing from the list and can confirm whether or not a memory card is required then please mention it.

#2 Posted by darkspineslayer (19681 posts) -
Add Rayman to the requires list
#3 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

Add Rayman to the requires listdarkspineslayer
Done :)

#4 Posted by bloomberg23 (445 posts) -

i request a sticky

#5 Posted by jonesy1911 (3482 posts) -
Anyone know if Fifa needs one?
#6 Posted by GamejunkieUK (329 posts) -
Anyone know if Fifa needs one? jonesy1911
Can't say for sure but looking at the image of the cover on various retail sites there is no indication of it like there is with those that do.
#7 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73993 posts) -
Makes me wonder what the reason is why some require cards and others don't.
#9 Posted by THA-TODD-BEAST (4569 posts) -

So with an exception or two, the good games require a memory card and the bad ones don't. What a coincidence. :)

#10 Posted by THA-TODD-BEAST (4569 posts) -

ModNation Racers should be added to the Memory Card Required list. I have the game and can confirm that a memory card is required.

#11 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

Updated the list. Found confirmation that Fifa 12 does not require a memory card.

Can I save to the Memory Card?
No, FIFA VITA can only be saved to the game card itself.EA

Source: https://help.ea.com/article/fifa-football-playstation-vita-faq

#12 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

Updated OP: Added Mortal Kombat to non memory card requiring list.

#13 Posted by Essian (3436 posts) -
so wait... if it doesn't require a memory card, where does the save data go?
#14 Posted by TIGERLIONX (906 posts) -

so wait... if it doesn't require a memory card, where does the save data go?Essian

to the game cartdrige itself

#15 Posted by flinnha (1890 posts) -
Lumines requires one
#16 Posted by blacktorn (8299 posts) -

[QUOTE="Essian"]so wait... if it doesn't require a memory card, where does the save data go?TIGERLIONX

It seems strange,why wouldn't sony just require all game carts to be able to save,yet some developers choose to have it in there cart and others dont't...i don't understand the reason for this.
#17 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
[QUOTE="TIGERLIONX"]

[QUOTE="Essian"]so wait... if it doesn't require a memory card, where does the save data go?blacktorn

It seems strange,why wouldn't sony just require all game carts to be able to save,yet some developers choose to have it in there cart and others dont't...i don't understand the reason for this.

Sony wants to force you to buy a memory card. Notice how all of their first party releases require it.
#18 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

Lumines requires oneflinnha
added :)

#19 Posted by blacktorn (8299 posts) -
[QUOTE="blacktorn"][QUOTE="TIGERLIONX"]

famicommander

Sony wants to force you to buy a memory card. Notice how all of their first party releases require it.

That;s interesting,but in any case find it hard to imagine someone buy a ps vita and never buy a memory card,i think there's only a minority who own a psp/ps vita and dont intend to purchase a memory card,i mean what's the point of having a portable machine like this if you are not going to store anything on it?
#20 Posted by PSP107 (11899 posts) -
This whole situation is stupid.
#21 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Sure it is, but when you get over that stupid bump, the Vita is a great device.
#22 Posted by Ghost120x (3885 posts) -
I imagine they do this to secretly reduce load times. The ps3 forces you to install part of the game always because otherwise the games would have terrible load times on ps3's slow drive. That way the games can be read a little faster off the hdd instead of reading the entire game off the disk. I have a 20gb xbox and never needed to upgrade so why can't I play ps3 games off the disk only and save space for digital games. This is probably no different for the ps vita.
#23 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
I imagine they do this to secretly reduce load times. The ps3 forces you to install part of the game always because otherwise the games would have terrible load times on ps3's slow drive. That way the games can be read a little faster off the hdd instead of reading the entire game off the disk. I have a 20gb xbox and never needed to upgrade so why can't I play ps3 games off the disk only and save space for digital games. This is probably no different for the ps vita. Ghost120x
The read/write speed for the game cartridges is much faster than it is for the memory cards. It has nothing to do with load times at all. This is a clear cut case of Sony trying to recoup production costs by requiring the purchaser to also buy high-margin accessories.
#24 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
[QUOTE="blacktorn"][QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="blacktorn"] It seems strange,why wouldn't sony just require all game carts to be able to save,yet some developers choose to have it in there cart and others dont't...i don't understand the reason for this.

That;s interesting,but in any case find it hard to imagine someone buy a ps vita and never buy a memory card,i think there's only a minority who own a psp/ps vita and dont intend to purchase a memory card,i mean what's the point of having a portable machine like this if you are not going to store anything on it?

What kind of nonsensical reasoning is that? It's okay for Sony to force you to buy a memory card just so you can boot a game, simply because you think portables should be about digital distribution?
#25 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
I think this thread should be kept alive and probably pinned. I'd like to add Resistance: Burning Skies to the required list, and add Lego Batman 2 and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection to the not required list.
#26 Posted by Qv9 (62 posts) -

Metal gear solid HD collection not required? That's great :). I too want this forum kept alive so that I know which games would be best to buy on catridge instead of download or vice versa.

Does anyone know if Gravity Rush requires memoryt card?

#27 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -

Metal gear solid HD collection not required? That's great :). I too want this forum kept alive so that I know which games would be best to buy on catridge instead of download or vice versa.

Does anyone know if Gravity Rush requires memoryt card?

Qv9
Yes. All Sony first party games require a memory card.
#28 Posted by djubsw99 (6 posts) -
When I put my metal gear solid card in my vita and click on the I on it keeps saying that I need to insert a memory card to use the application. Am I doing something wrong or is it that my vita is a retarded piece of ****
#29 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

When I put my metal gear solid card in my vita and click on the I on it keeps saying that I need to insert a memory card to use the application. Am I doing something wrong or is it that my vita is a retarded piece of ****djubsw99

Look at the back of the case, memory card required.

#30 Posted by djubsw99 (6 posts) -
When I put my metal gear solid card in my vita and click on the I on it keeps saying that I need to insert a memory card to use the application. Am I doing something wrong or is it that my vita is a retarded piece of ****
#31 Posted by djubsw99 (6 posts) -
Nowhere on my case does it say that it needs a memory card
#32 Posted by VitaBz (37 posts) -
I think all games need memory card space.
#33 Posted by djubsw99 (6 posts) -
I think all games need memory card space.VitaBz
Not all games need a memory card i know for a fact mortal kombat doesn't
#34 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
I think all games need memory card space.VitaBz
Did you not read the first post? There are plenty of games that don't require a card...
#35 Posted by djubsw99 (6 posts) -
My question still isn't answered does MGS need a memory card or not?? That one guy earlier said it says it does on the box but on my box it doesnt
#36 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

My question still isn't answered does MGS need a memory card or not?? That one guy earlier said it says it does on the box but on my box it doesntdjubsw99

It does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmoJXonwLM

At 0:49, it may be fuzzy but the right blue boxed area with the rectangular white shape indicates memory card required. The person in the video even says 20MB required.

I mean, if you already tried it and it tells you that you need one, then you do. Simple as that.

#37 Posted by Ovirew (6375 posts) -

Okay so if you have one of those games that doesn't require a memory card, but you do have a memory card, will it still save the save data to the game itself, or to the memory card?

#38 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

Okay so if you have one of those games that doesn't require a memory card, but you do have a memory card, will it still save the save data to the game itself, or to the memory card?

Ovirew

It looks like it just saves it on the game not the memory card in that case. Would explain why my data of MVC3 didn't appear when I was transferring my data to a new memory card and Uncharted was listed.

#39 Posted by ManofScams (2 posts) -
Add Little Big Planet
#40 Posted by ManofScams (2 posts) -
To the requires list