Lessons not learned by early adopters...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I feel like I'm one of the only people not getting caught up in the hype and pre ordering a next gen console (ps4) to be exact. Don't get me wrong Sony has a pretty damn good track record when it comes to hardware failures, but after what happened at the launch of last gen I wonder how so many people can so easily forget it.

Yes it was wtih the xbox, which I did have problems with but I also had 2 ps3's that YYLOD on me both in the first 8 months of launch and the 360 3 months after I got it. 

A product should work properly when it is released and I know a lot of people are relying on that but how are most of you so easily throwing your money at these consoles without at least waiting to see how the first few weeks or months on the market go?

I will be getting a PS4 no question about it, but I'm so hesitent to pre order one. Someone convince me to pre order one lol 

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
My ps3 still works fine after all these years. My launch 360 died but I got a free (with paid warranty) upgrade to newer hdmi enabled 360 and 50 dollar best buy GC cause of its price drop. So I think that's fine.
CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#3 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts
Warranty. My xbox 360 crapped out within the first year. I sent it in, got a replacement within a week. During that week of no 360, I just played my PS3/PC a little more.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I've been a day one buyer of nearly every console since the NES and I've only faced any large-scale issues with the 360 (7 total machines to date).

The issues that some consoles have had are overall very small when their entire installed base is taken into account.  Yes, they've had issues that plagued some users, but that happens.  It's not like everyone faced those issues; it's certainly not a major long-term, large-scale issue (again, save for the 360).

Besides, you do get a warranty, and you have the option to purchase a longer warranty to ease your mind.

While some of you sit and wait for issues that will likely never present themselves to be fixed, I'll be enjoying the next generation of gaming.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
You think you are the only person not pre-ordering the new consoles? Really?
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I bought 4 different PS3 SKUs and all have never failed. A 20GB at launch, a 60GB 3 months after, an 80Gb 2 years after, and a 160GB 3.5 years after. All work fine with no probs. I had 2 PS2s that worked great from launch and a PS1 from launch that always worked fine. 

I have pre ordered a PS4 & it will work fine too. 

Yes, I did get a 360 that got a failed HDD within 3 months and then RRoD within a month after that. I sold the 360 replacement on E-bay and I'll never buy an Xbox console ever again. 

Avatar image for brownstephen259
brownstephen259

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 brownstephen259
Member since 2010 • 268 Posts

I think I'll wait two to three months like did for the xbox 360 launch I bought in January of 06 with a bundle of two which were nba 2k6 and call of duty 2 so im guessing ill do the same with ps4

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I bought 4 different PS3 SKUs and all have never failed. A 20GB at launch, a 60GB 3 months after, an 80Gb 2 years after, and a 160GB 3.5 years after. All work fine with no probs. I had 2 PS2s that worked great from launch and a PS1 from launch that always worked fine. 

I have pre ordered a PS4 & it will work fine too. 

Yes, I did get a 360 that got a failed HDD within 3 months and then RRoD within a month after that. I sold the 360 replacement on E-bay and I'll never buy an Xbox console ever again. 

clr84651

I sometimes wonder if all these console failures we read about were becaue of how the user was using them. If it's in a area where it gets proper air flow and isn't moved around often I don't see why there would be issues.

I read the other day that Sony may not be able to deliver on all the pre orders because there are soo many of them. If I do pre order one I'm going to be pretty upset if I'm not able to get one on launch day. As much as I want to be apart of the hype because I do find it very very exciting im so hesitent. I just gotta man up n pre order I think. 

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#9 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Original 60gb PS3 I have since launch works perfect. My 18 year old sony discman still works perfectly!! Sony make high quality products and I'll be buying a 2 year warranty on the system anyway so if I have any issues it'll be replaced with a new one. I wouldn't buy an MS product day one.
Nightrain76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nightrain76
Member since 2003 • 334 Posts
My 60gig fat Ps3 works perfectly to this day. With the system updates, I see no reason not to get a PS4 at launch. I do think there will be a more expensive version of the PS4 coming out. When that happens, I may upgrade my preorder.
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I had a TLOD after 2 years and 5 months with a 60 Gb bought on release day (France), sent it to Sony with 230 fee and I got a refurb that worked for 2 years and 3 months, got it repaired by a shop, worked for 2 months then died. i bought a Slim.

This time I'll buy the 3 year warranty plan.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
My original fat 60 GB full backwards compatible ps3 still works to this day and I use it as a movie player as well as games. The only thing I did was upgrade the HDD with a 320 GB HDD. Plays all games perfectly.
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I don't like preorders, I'll just wait until it gets some good games to play
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]You think you are the only person not pre-ordering the new consoles? Really?

not everyone, but a lot of people are, dumbass! [spoiler]  [/spoiler]
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I feel like I'm one of the only people not getting caught up in the hype and pre ordering a next gen console (ps4) to be exact. Don't get me wrong Sony has a pretty damn good track record when it comes to hardware failures, but after what happened at the launch of last gen I wonder how so many people can so easily forget it.

Yes it was wtih the xbox, which I did have problems with but I also had 2 ps3's that YYLOD on me both in the first 8 months of launch and the 360 3 months after I got it. 

A product should work properly when it is released and I know a lot of people are relying on that but how are most of you so easily throwing your money at these consoles without at least waiting to see how the first few weeks or months on the market go?

I will be getting a PS4 no question about it, but I'm so hesitent to pre order one. Someone convince me to pre order one lol 

Bishop1310
I agree. Launch hardware is always risky, especially today. I think part of the reason I'm rushing in(last gen I waited for the second run of xbox360s--still hdmi-less 20giggers--and all the way till the ps3 slim for Playstation) is because I'm just ready for next gen already.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#16 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I can't see how a console is any different then buying an Iphone, Droid or any electronic device on it's release day....it's just the chance you take.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

I have one pre-ordered, but I may wait awhile to get it the more I have been thinking about it. I want the new Killzone, Infamous, and The Order:1886, but do I need them right away? Idk. I may wait a solid year and see what happens. I am very torn. $ is not the issue, I just don't know if a day one buy is neccessary for me. There are still quite a few PS3 titles on the horizon I want and some I still have in my backlog. It may be smarter for me to wait. As for the console having problems? Warranty.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts
You give a good warning. I would love to wait until the reviews are in but I decided to take a, fairly small, risk that Sony will get it right the first time. I am more worried that the system will be a hit and Sony will limit availability to create a Wii-like firestorm of interest. If I am wrong I'm covered because I buy from places with good return polices. I don't mind leaving the box unopened for a week or two. It might even work out great that I didn't get "release day" from my supplier. If I can grab one from COSTCO before they ship it I get an amazingly generous return policy.
Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

I only bought one console at launch and that was my ps3.  I got two games with it, and then I picked up a third game a little later on.  I remember having to wait forever for games to come out, and good games at that.  For awhile, I just played ps2 games on it, till I picked up oblivion, the only reason I did that was because I wanted a ps3 game. 

The thing I learned from the expierance was to wait.  It's best too, just because of software and yes even hardware.  Also, I came up with a rule to buying consoles, if there are less than 10 games you want to buy for it, wait.

MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts
A lot of people are aware of the possible consequences, and honestly we just don't care. Just because people are pre ordering it doesn't mean they're all doing it out of hype. I've been planning to pre order the PS4 since the PS3 was released, and so on and so on (barring any stupid developments, of course). But the PS4 looks just fine, and of course we don't know everything yet, but Sony is hardly one to do anything TOO drastic. Yeah they mess up some minor things here and there but over all they are really solid, and....I'll be playing a PS4 shortly after midnight of it's release. JEALOUS?! ha...
cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts
I have owned almost every console that has been released since the NES. Out of all of those the ones that have broke on me were; a SNES, a Sega CD, two PS (both worked when put upside down), one PS3 and two 360. The only ones that broke when they were current systems are the 360 and PS/PS3. It's a risk you have to take. With the amount of tech they shove into these little boxes there is a chance it will fail.
Shadow_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shadow_Fighter
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

Out of all the consoles I have had, I have had two PS3 fail and one Wii fail.  The console failing was not the fault of Sony and Nintendo but rather the store from where I bought them.  After having three of the consoles fail I found out the store that I bought all three from had a habit of electronic devices failing because the people running the electronic part of the store had a habit of dropping the boxes when stocking them and generally mistreating pretty much all of the electronics.  

From my experience it isn't really launch units that have problems but rather how the store handles its supply.

I admit I do not plan on pre-ordering a PS4, I might but it depends on when it will be launched.  Being in college for both a math and engineering degree I wouldn't really be able to enjoy it till winter break anyway so I don't see much of a point in me pre-ordering it.  

philip6k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 philip6k
Member since 2006 • 1365 Posts
My day 1 ps3 still works perfectly. Most of the time the problem occurs from the user and where they have the console located and such
cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

I think it comes down to how you use it, some people lay it in a hot room on a carpet.  

kingoflife9
True to some extent. I had both my 360 and PS3 on a very well ventilated a/v rack. Both went out on me. It can happen to any piece of electronic equipment.