Leaving discs inside PS3.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Steve10578 (47 posts) -

Hi,

Is it ok to leave discs in the PS3? Anyone else leave discs in their PS3?

The reason I ask is that's in instruction manuals for both the hardware and software it reads after playing store the discs back in their cases. Normally I do take them out and put them back in the cases but the game I was playing (Black Ops) I planned on playing again in a few hours time and thought I may as well leave it inside. If it is ok I may leave in inside if I play it the next day too. I have switched disc auto start off.

I assume when they say store the discs back in their cases it means rather then leaving discs scattered around on the table. I don't know why it should cause any harm leaving them in the PS3 for a short period of time.

#2 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I always follow what the manual says, and so I can't really answer your question because I've never taken the risk. However, I can't see what harm it would do if all the power is off, so I'd imagine your disc will be in the same state as you leave it in ;)

#3 Posted by KurupSoldr (4094 posts) -

its not a big issue for a couple hours but i have heard and read that leaving them in there can sometimes warp them a little and over time this will cause problems. Not sure how true that is but i would just be safe and when done for the night put them in the case.

#4 Posted by JohnF111 (14089 posts) -
I usually always have a disc in my ps3, right now it's GT5 so i see no reason to worry, the manual is just a precaution as if the PS3 breaks it's hard to get it out and you do not get it returned if you send it into Sony for repairs..
#5 Posted by KurupSoldr (4094 posts) -
I usually always have a disc in my ps3, right now it's GT5 so i see no reason to worry, the manual is just a precaution as if the PS3 breaks it's hard to get it out and you do not get it returned if you send it into Sony for repairs..JohnF111
But also keep in mind that i have not seen too many PS3's that break without a disc inside so...
#6 Posted by Tecky8 (263 posts) -

I had a 40GB PS3 for 3 years, constantly kept different games/blu rays in there, even weeks/months at a time, never had a problem. Do the same with the 250GB slim and still never had a problem.

#7 Posted by yannick256 (292 posts) -

me too.i'm leaving games in my ps3 when it's off and i don't have problem yet since 1 years

#8 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
I always leave the disc in. It's only a potential issue if you cart your console around with a disc inside it, but even then the chances are slim anything would go wrong with it. I wouldn't want to wear out the disc eject mechanism by taking my disc out every time, either.
#9 Posted by Steve10578 (47 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback.

#10 Posted by babybinky (1003 posts) -
i always leave a disc inside of mine lol, call me lazy but w/e i just do. right now i got black ops in there and haven't taken it out for about a month now. sometimes i would bring my ps3 over to a friends place and i transported it with the disc inside... no problems here man, ps3 is one awesome and durable machine. eat that fail box 360 with your crappy disc drive
#11 Posted by SMK121 (89 posts) -

Call me a bad PS3 owner, but I always leave a disc , even with carting it around, and I neevr have a problem.

#12 Posted by PSP107 (11894 posts) -
I always leave the disc in. It's only a potential issue if you cart your console around with a disc inside it, but even then the chances are slim anything would go wrong with it. I wouldn't want to wear out the disc eject mechanism by taking my disc out every time, either.DJ_Lae
I always feared that about my PS2 that all of sudden the disk tray wouldn't open. of course the slim PS2 went old school.
#13 Posted by gmaster456 (7561 posts) -
I leave the disks in out of laziness more than anything
#14 Posted by Beard_ (1066 posts) -

I've always left the dists in and never had a problem. This includes leaving a disk in while the system lies dormant for months at a time.

#15 Posted by scar-hawk (5404 posts) -
I always leave discs in. Too much hassle to keep taking them in and out 8)
#16 Posted by cametall (7692 posts) -
I've left discs in there for a month at a time (usually when I'm playing a new release on my other consoles) and haven't had anything happen to em. I have had warped boxes warp discs before. It was Guitar Hero 2, the box was shipped to me warped when I bought it and you could see the disc was warped a little and the PS2 wouldn't read it.
#17 Posted by KlawwTheClown (59 posts) -

My first LittleBigPlanet disc died from all the warping, and eventually cracked somehow, even though it was ALWAYS in my PS3.

It's probably best to be on the safe side, and remove the discs before turning off the system. Even though I'm being hypocritical right now, and I am actually way too lazy to do so. :)

#18 Posted by TheIndianChild (1731 posts) -
There ain't no problem in leaving it in . I do it all the time . I've had my PS3 for over 18 months now .
#19 Posted by ContraQueen (2460 posts) -

I always leave the disc in. So much effort to keep taking it out and putting it back in the case.

#20 Posted by KamuiFei (4254 posts) -

Eh, the instruction manuals suggest you do, so the companies can't get blamed if something "does" happen because you left it in there. But all my years of gaming, I've never had a problem leaving the disc/cartridge in any game system I've owned. As long as you keep everything clean, you're good.

#21 Posted by djsifer01 (7238 posts) -
I own 3 PS3's and there has alwas been a disc in them since they came out of the box. Nothing will happen to them, its the safest place for them to be other than the case. Also, it cant damage you Optical drive in any way.
#22 Posted by haze_blaze (3907 posts) -
I've left one of my discs in my PS3 every night for the last 3 yrs and have never had a problem. I usually play one game at a time for days before rotating to anything else in my library. So it's easier for me to just leave my discs in until I put in the next game. And never had a problem.
#23 Posted by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

Am i ze only one? :|

I have never ever left a disc inside my console whilst they are off. But then again i take way too much care of my consoles :P

#24 Posted by corigan (586 posts) -

Sadly enough I have never thought about it. I am going to start removing them just incase the system dies so it doesn't keep the disc locked inside the drive.

#25 Posted by LURCH87 (1375 posts) -
I leave the disks in out of laziness more than anythinggmaster456
qft
#26 Posted by Srenjy (306 posts) -
just leave it inside man, rather than puting it back and fort
#27 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I have never ever left a disc inside my console whilst they are off. But then again i take way too much care of my consoles :P

BattleSpectre

You are not alone! I'm the same as you, too protective ;) :P

#28 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

I play so often that taking it out just seem inconvenient. If away from the PS3 for days maybe, but I don't see any problem of keeping it in there if you play daily.

#29 Posted by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Venom_Raptor

ah good to know :D

We are the smart ones my friend ;) :P

#30 Posted by Tree06 (3552 posts) -
I always take mine out. I I've always done that.
#31 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
Always take mine out. I'm way too damn protective of my ps3.
#32 Posted by Arthas017 (295 posts) -

I always leave the disc in, only when I travel I make sure to remove it. I never had a problem so far, and I don't see why I´d have one.

#33 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I only take the disk out when I'm going to put another one in.

#34 Posted by d_parker (1715 posts) -

I leave the disc in and so far no problems. I assume its less wear and tear on the machine constantly having to put the disc in and out.

You can leave a disc in and do other things with your machine, like play games from your harddrive, so I have to believe Sony didn't have any serious objections to the disc remaining in the machine.

#35 Posted by -Fromage- (10526 posts) -
I always leave the disc in. I didn't even read in the manual that you should take them out. Anyway I don't see why I would take it out, its designed to play the disc so I don't see how it could harm it.
#36 Posted by jcopp72 (5336 posts) -
i usually leave what ever game i am playing in the PS3 untill i am done with the game.
#37 Posted by bobaban (10558 posts) -
I always leave it in there until I switch games. Auto is off for me too.
#38 Posted by bobaban (10558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

BattleSpectre

You do know you are constantly taking the disc in and out causing more wear and tear............
#39 Posted by MGS-Mercenary (130 posts) -

Yeah, I'm pretty mental about that myself, I usually try to put them back in their cases, the reason they suggest doing that is probably so there aren't ejection problems and a disc is less likely to get disc or defects in a closed case than a disc slot. Feel free to leave them in there though, no harm done.

#40 Posted by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

bobaban

You do know you are constantly taking the disc in and out causing more wear and tear............

.. Well my 80GB PS3 has been going strong for over 2 years now.

I highly doubt i'm doing any harm ;)

#41 Posted by AgentA-Mi6 (16260 posts) -

I always try not to leave any games inside my PS3, but occasionally I do, and I've had zero problems with it.