Last of Us - disc wont work?

#1 Posted by jcrame10 (207 posts) -

Hi all,

So a few weeks ago I took over my copy of TLoU to my buddy's house to have him try it out. Only thing is...the PS3 wouldn't read the disc. Tried it multiple times. Took it out and placed back in..turned the console on and off...wouldn't work.

Other games, such as Motorstorm PR and Playstation Allstars work just fine and load properly, but not TLoU.

Weirdest thing ever, he bought his own copy of the game today and his PS3 is reacting the same way to the game. The disc is brand new.

Any ideas would be great. Never heard of anything like this, especially with a brand new game.

Also, I dunno if it matters or not but he has one of the newer PS3s...its the slimmer one. So there's no way it's because it's an old PS3.

#2 Posted by clr84651 (5405 posts) -

Clean it with window cleaner

#3 Posted by SoNin360 (5437 posts) -

Well, if two different systems are having trouble reading the disc, there's a good chance there's an issue with the disc itself. Make sure it's clean and everything, though it's hard to believe that it's gotten all scratched up or whatever if it's that new.

Another possible problem is with your system itself, but since your friend's system is also having trouble reading it, then that would mean both of your systems are having issues, which isn't very likely. Check for another game that is dual-layered. It will say "DL" on the disc somewhere, or "SS" if it's single-layered. My PS3 has had troubles reading dual-layered discs for a few years now, and I know for sure that The Last of Us is a dual-layered game because I had issues every time starting it up. There's a way around this and I'm able to get my system to read dual-layered discs, but it's a bit annoying and doesn't always work right away.

So if your system can read other dual-layered discs without issue, then there has to be an issue of some sort with that copy of The Last of Us.

#4 Edited by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

Well, if two different systems are having trouble reading the disc, there's a good chance there's an issue with the disc itself. Make sure it's clean and everything, though it's hard to believe that it's gotten all scratched up or whatever if it's that new.

Another possible problem is with your system itself, but since your friend's system is also having trouble reading it, then that would mean both of your systems are having issues, which isn't very likely. Check for another game that is dual-layered. It will say "DL" on the disc somewhere, or "SS" if it's single-layered. My PS3 has had troubles reading dual-layered discs for a few years now, and I know for sure that The Last of Us is a dual-layered game because I had issues every time starting it up. There's a way around this and I'm able to get my system to read dual-layered discs, but it's a bit annoying and doesn't always work right away.

So if your system can read other dual-layered discs without issue, then there has to be an issue of some sort with that copy of The Last of Us.

I don't think you can read, or maybe it's because you can't be bothered reading? TWO systems are not having this issue, he simply brought over his copy of TLoU to his mates house, and his mates PS3 did not read the disc. His friend then went and bought himself a brand new copy of the game, and his PS3 still did not read it.

I'm no rocket scientist, but that to me sounds like his friends PS3 is the problem, you know Since two brand new discs haven't worked on his friends PS3. When did the TC mention his PS3 has also been experiencing a problem? Learn to read before you post people....

#5 Posted by SoNin360 (5437 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: Wow, okay. I misread some details entirely. You don't have to be an asshole about it. My advice about trying other dual-layered games can still be helpful since there's quite a good chance that could be the problem now since there's only 1 PS3 involved.

#6 Edited by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -
@SoNin360 said:

@BattleSpectre: Wow, okay. I misread some details entirely. You don't have to be an asshole about it. My advice about trying other dual-layered games can still be helpful since there's quite a good chance that could be the problem now since there's only 1 PS3 involved.

My apologies if I upset you, but you're still not getting the point. He clearly stated in his post that his friends PS3 works with games like Motorstorm and PlayStation All Stars. But when he tried two brand new copies of TLoU on his PS3 the games did not work, it's clear this his friends PS3 is the issue.

Like I said learn to re-read the post and carefully think about what has been said, it's only for your benefit so you don't get called out like you just did. In case you still don't get it, what you suggested has already been tried. TC already stated other games do work, but TLoU doesn't.

#7 Edited by SoNin360 (5437 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: Now you're the one with reading comprehension issues. I'm still suggesting he try (or his friend, rather) games with dual-layered discs. Some games have single-layered discs. Some have dual-layered discs. The Last of Us has a dual-layered disc. My PS3 has issues reading games that have dual-layered discs, but no problem reading disc that are single-layered. I'm confident that his friend could potentially be experiencing similar issues that I have experienced, which is, once again, why I'm suggesting he tests games that are also dual-layered. I know PS All-Stars is single-layered, but I'm not sure what Motorstorm PR is, although I'm willing to bet it's also single-layered.

Better yet, TC should have a blu-ray movie tested on the PS3 to see if it works, because my PS3 also has trouble reading blu-ray movies. Replacing the blu-ray lens or something would be the solution to these specific disc reading issues, although I can't be assed to spend the money and take my PS3 apart. Instead, I lift and tilt my PS3 back for about 30 seconds or so while it makes all these noises and eventually reads the disc. It sounds ridiculous, but it's been my solution to this problem. It doesn't always work, and I think it sometimes helps to have the PS3 read a DVD (which it has no problem reading first) but I can't completely confirm that. Your friend is better off trying to fix it himself if it is indeed the problem.

#8 Posted by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

@BattleSpectre: Now you're the one with reading comprehension issues. I'm still suggesting he try (or his friend, rather) games with dual-layered discs. Some games have single-layered discs. Some have dual-layered discs. The Last of Us has a dual-layered disc. My PS3 has issues reading games that have dual-layered discs, but no problem reading disc that are single-layered. I'm confident that his friend could potentially be experiencing similar issues that I have experienced, which is, once again, why I'm suggesting he tests games that are also dual-layered. I know PS All-Stars is single-layered, but I'm not sure what Motorstorm PR is, although I'm willing to bet it's also single-layered.

Better yet, TC should have a blu-ray movie tested on the PS3 to see if it works, because my PS3 also has trouble reading blu-ray movies. Replacing the blu-ray lens or something would be the solution to these specific disc reading issues, although I can't be assed to spend the money and take my PS3 apart. Instead, I lift and tilt my PS3 back for about 30 seconds or so while it makes all these noises and eventually reads the disc. It sounds ridiculous, but it's been my solution to this problem. It doesn't always work, and I think it sometimes helps to have the PS3 read a DVD (which it has no problem reading first) but I can't completely confirm that. Your friend is better off trying to fix it himself if it is indeed the problem.

Hehe, we're both lost causes :D

Nah hey sorry if I sounded like an asshole. Good advice though, I hope it works out for the TC's friend.

#9 Posted by jcrame10 (207 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: i thought this was a solid theory as well, up until ALL the other games worked fine. Except Last of Us. What gives?

#10 Edited by SoNin360 (5437 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

i thought this was a solid theory as well, up until ALL the other games worked fine. Except Last of Us. What gives?

Are you sure you've tried another game that is on a dual-layered disc? Most games are single-layered. From what I've noticed, it's mostly exclusives that have the "DL" written on the back of the disc near the center. Some examples that I know for sure would be Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War 3, and of course, The Last of Us. I don't think I've seen a multi-plat that isn't on a single-layered disc, but not all exclusives are on dual-layered discs. I just re-checked PS All-Stars to be sure, and it's single-layered.

#12 Posted by jcrame10 (207 posts) -

@SoNin360: I honestly had no idea that there was a different in disc type. I will check this out though. Is there any way to go about fixing it besides tilting the PS3 or having to buy a new one?

#13 Posted by SoNin360 (5437 posts) -

@jcrame10: Buying a new one definitely isn't necessary. Replacing the laser lens should fix the problem as opposed to replacing the entire blu-ray drive, since it's still reading some certain discs. I think something like this is what your friend should look for if it can be confirmed that his PS3 is having problems with these certain discs and he wants to try to repair it himself. From what I've seen, it requires taking the system apart a bit, which is one reason I haven't bothered fixing mine.