KNACK is Amazing!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kye-mc (50 posts) -

Community... WAKE UP! I bought Knack today as I completed KZSF twice on and didn't have much to do. I always loved old skool platformers like j&d, sly and crash bandicoot. I was hoping Knack would follow in the same footsteps with the challenging gameplay, gorgeous visuals and plain out fun, but then when it was released the reviews were, lets say abysmal. Knack has been slated in reviews as 'falling to pieces' and its negative factors consist of 'artificial enviroments', 'Tiresome combat' and 'meager move set'. I played 3 hours straight of the game today on hard difficulty and thought "WHAT ARE THESE REVIEWS TALKING ABOUT?"

Users are comparing the game to Super Mario 3D World as if KNACK is nothing in comparison. Now don't get me wrong, I love Mario platform games to pieces, however I have yet to play Mario's latest platformer which looks incredible and innovative. The thing is Super Mario 3D World got a '9' and Knack got a '4'. Here are factors why Super Mario 3D World got that high score compared with Knack:

Visuals:

3D World - 'Gorgeous, colourful visuals'

Knack - 'Artificial environments'

Gameplay:

3D World - 'Effortless controls'

Knack - 'Tiresome combat with a meager move set'

I'm sorry but its a bit obvious that Knack on the PS4 is much more beautiful and easy on the eye compared to Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U. Yet Knack was put down in visuals as 'Artificial'? This to me, (your opinion may differ for some reason) is completely absurd.

In terms of gameplay, yes Knack is not overly complicated in controls like most games nowadays but that is how the game was meant to be made, thats one of its key points which make it so addictive and 'effortless' in my opinion. The combat is only 'tiresome' if you are not good at the game, but there is no point to give if it is simply your own fault.

Knack to me is one of the best 3D platformers I've played in the last 5 years and a real charm so far to this generation. The difficulty on 'hard mode' is similar to Dark souls which is where the ability is needed in order to play the game. Mark Cerny did an amazing job with this title and the if your thinking of getting this game one bit, don't think twice, or waiting for it to drop in price. We need more games like Knack with a challenge instead of boring but 'Amazing story' games which all suck, If I wanted that I would go and watch a movie! I am so dissapointed with the reviews as we probably won't get a 'Knack 2' or anything similar now.

I would like anyone's opinion on this because the game deserves so much more credit...

#2 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

Stopped reading when you said knack looks better than 3D world. That's just wrong I'm sorry. Although Knack is a pretty good game imo

#3 Posted by Jaysonguy (37683 posts) -

You have horrible taste, don't make it a habit to offer suggestion for games

#4 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -

Knack is good but not like the best platformer lol. I would've loved a crash bandicoot for the PS4.

#6 Edited by RoyalClown_1 (107 posts) -

Fun game, good graphics except I noticed the environment was not as detailed as the characters... IMHO not worth $60.

#7 Edited by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

@good_sk8er7: I have the Wii U and the PS4, yet to play either of these games but come on... Knack does look better visually/quality wise. Now if you love the style of Super Mario 3D and the entire Nintendo feel then that's your opinion not based on pure graphics quality which clearly shows Knack as a superior graphics game in basic terms. Knack by the nature of it's higher resolution looks more 3D than Super Mario '3D'... it's pure fact. I plan on getting Knack when it's cheaper, probably do the same with Super Mario since I haven't even beat Super Mario Bros. which came with my Wii U bundle... that game surely doesn't look better than even PS3 games.

Kye-mc is right, the reviewers are biased and stupid. If people enjoy Knack then that's that, they enjoy it and it's pointless to worship Mario and compare every platforming game to Nintendo games. If Knack shared some game mechanics with Mario then people would whine they just stole ideas from Nintendo and blah blah blah. Nonsensical poop.

I've watched a lot of line streaming gameplay of Knack on my PS4 and it looks pretty decent. I'll get it when it's cheap because I don't like the character design, that's all.

#8 Posted by kyacat (4058 posts) -

As long you enjoy Knack that all should matter

#9 Edited by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

I've actually read decent reviews of Knack after most gaming sites blasted it for being a poor launch title. It can't be much worse than Killzone SF, which GS was generous in giving a 7 overall. That game just bored me to death at how uninspiring it really was. Blah.

What amazes me is that people still talk highly of Mario games. Here we are, almost 30 years since the NES and Nintendo is still rehashing the same idea every year. Aren't people tired of Mario yet? I mean, I thought COD was bad, but they're nowhere near like their 90th installment...although, given a few decades I'm sure they will be.

#10 Posted by Grieverr (2737 posts) -

I enjoyed Knack, too. It was a good game and I played it all the way through on normal, which was a bit of a challenge. I thought I'd play it through again on hard, but I just wasn't interested enough to do so.

In regards to visuals, I can best describe Knack as having Pixar-like graphics. They look fairly simple, but nice. There are some good details, like the texture on the characters' clothing. They are also technically good. I don't recall seeing any texture or scenery pop-up. The thing is, some people will dismiss the art style as too simple and therefore not great.

I must say, however, that Mario 3D World looks better because of the art style and fantasy setting. I think the issue with Knack's "artificial" look is that even though it's stylized, it's still representing a semi-realistic setting. In Mario, you have crazy levels that make no sense, but are fun to play through and nice to look at.

I have both games and can say they both look great in their own right. However, I did enjoy Mario's visuals better. the graphics are razor sharp, imaginative, and colorful. the animations are great as well. It's a joy to watch Mario 3D World. Knack, again, looks great, but the environments are bland and there's not much happening on-screen at any one time. You usually only fight 2 or 3 enemies (which is fine based on the difficulty).

Overall, Knack is enjoyable. If you have multiple consoles, there are other choices, but on the PS4, that's pretty much all there is, but that's not a bad thing.

#11 Posted by Megavideogamer (5440 posts) -

Knack is a decent game. Amazing might be a bit of a stretch. The visual look of this game is very good. Knack is fun. The game is at best a 7 out of 10. I bought Knack as it is an Alright 2 player plaformer/Beat them up. For a launch game Knack is Good. Amazing however... Knack is not. sigh....

#12 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

@yixingtpot said:

@good_sk8er7: I have the Wii U and the PS4, yet to play either of these games but come on... Knack does look better visually/quality wise. Now if you love the style of Super Mario 3D and the entire Nintendo feel then that's your opinion not based on pure graphics quality which clearly shows Knack as a superior graphics game in basic terms. Knack by the nature of it's higher resolution looks more 3D than Super Mario '3D'... it's pure fact. I plan on getting Knack when it's cheaper, probably do the same with Super Mario since I haven't even beat Super Mario Bros. which came with my Wii U bundle... that game surely doesn't look better than even PS3 games.

Kye-mc is right, the reviewers are biased and stupid. If people enjoy Knack then that's that, they enjoy it and it's pointless to worship Mario and compare every platforming game to Nintendo games. If Knack shared some game mechanics with Mario then people would whine they just stole ideas from Nintendo and blah blah blah. Nonsensical poop.

I've watched a lot of line streaming gameplay of Knack on my PS4 and it looks pretty decent. I'll get it when it's cheap because I don't like the character design, that's all.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you. SM3DW is technically proficient and runs at a locked 60 FPS. It looks better, with no screen tearing or slow down and barely any jaggies. The game is designed so insanely well that everything meshes together perfectly. But just as I am entitled to my opinion, so are you.

Knack is pretty great. I don't really consider it a straight platformer though, too much GOW-like battles. It really doesn't have much to do with platforming really.

#13 Posted by Ovirew (6393 posts) -

My girlfriend and I enjoyed the game a lot, but I don't feel like it was worth $60, and I think the game could have had more to it. I also don't feel much incentive to play the game over and over again in hopes that maybe I'll get lucky and unlock a gem that I don't have already - just so I can play the campaign again. I think if there is ever a sequel to Knack, I will be interested - especially if they take the time to address the problems that this game had. But the game did get a lot of crap, OP - I think mainly because it was a new console launch and people like to talk shiz.

#14 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

This reeks of someone trying to convince themselves they're glad they spent 60$ on a mediocre game.

#15 Posted by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

@good_sk8er7 said:

@yixingtpot said:

@good_sk8er7: I have the Wii U and the PS4, yet to play either of these games but come on... Knack does look better visually/quality wise. Now if you love the style of Super Mario 3D and the entire Nintendo feel then that's your opinion not based on pure graphics quality which clearly shows Knack as a superior graphics game in basic terms. Knack by the nature of it's higher resolution looks more 3D than Super Mario '3D'... it's pure fact. I plan on getting Knack when it's cheaper, probably do the same with Super Mario since I haven't even beat Super Mario Bros. which came with my Wii U bundle... that game surely doesn't look better than even PS3 games.

Kye-mc is right, the reviewers are biased and stupid. If people enjoy Knack then that's that, they enjoy it and it's pointless to worship Mario and compare every platforming game to Nintendo games. If Knack shared some game mechanics with Mario then people would whine they just stole ideas from Nintendo and blah blah blah. Nonsensical poop.

I've watched a lot of line streaming gameplay of Knack on my PS4 and it looks pretty decent. I'll get it when it's cheap because I don't like the character design, that's all.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you. SM3DW is technically proficient and runs at a locked 60 FPS. It looks better, with no screen tearing or slow down and barely any jaggies. The game is designed so insanely well that everything meshes together perfectly. But just as I am entitled to my opinion, so are you.

Knack is pretty great. I don't really consider it a straight platformer though, too much GOW-like battles. It really doesn't have much to do with platforming really.

well I've only seen gameplay streaming video of Knack and video gameplay via Youtube of SM3DW... I think it's a matter of taste. There's a lot of beautiful stuff happening in SM3DW but the textures are dull, soft and blurry compared to Knack which looks like you can reach into the screen and grab things. As long as people enjoy the games that's all that matters. I think SM3DW looks more advanced regarding the gameplay and game engine overall. I'm sure I'll enjoy both once I get them... I'm not in the mood for platform games since I need to play Super Mario Bros. and I've been getting really frustrated playing Mutant Mudd Deluxe on Wii U lol.

#16 Posted by i-rock-socks (3070 posts) -

game looks shallow, combats looks lacking, exploration looks lacking, graphics look nice, 1/3 is bad in my book. im not paying 60 more dollars to play a game that makes me go "meh"

i dont mean to offend but such simple games are beneath me.

#17 Posted by DigiTM64 (155 posts) -

Every gamer is a person, thus each has his/her personal opinions on a game. I might get it later, when I see it at the store as a used copy and/or cheap. Too busy playing COD Ghosts, AC4, BF4, Killzone, Tomb Raider, and the PS Plus free games. Plus Thief in a few weeks, then Infamous. Knack is on my list of if I run out of things to play.

#18 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

@yixingtpot said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@yixingtpot said:

@good_sk8er7: I have the Wii U and the PS4, yet to play either of these games but come on... Knack does look better visually/quality wise. Now if you love the style of Super Mario 3D and the entire Nintendo feel then that's your opinion not based on pure graphics quality which clearly shows Knack as a superior graphics game in basic terms. Knack by the nature of it's higher resolution looks more 3D than Super Mario '3D'... it's pure fact. I plan on getting Knack when it's cheaper, probably do the same with Super Mario since I haven't even beat Super Mario Bros. which came with my Wii U bundle... that game surely doesn't look better than even PS3 games.

Kye-mc is right, the reviewers are biased and stupid. If people enjoy Knack then that's that, they enjoy it and it's pointless to worship Mario and compare every platforming game to Nintendo games. If Knack shared some game mechanics with Mario then people would whine they just stole ideas from Nintendo and blah blah blah. Nonsensical poop.

I've watched a lot of line streaming gameplay of Knack on my PS4 and it looks pretty decent. I'll get it when it's cheap because I don't like the character design, that's all.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you. SM3DW is technically proficient and runs at a locked 60 FPS. It looks better, with no screen tearing or slow down and barely any jaggies. The game is designed so insanely well that everything meshes together perfectly. But just as I am entitled to my opinion, so are you.

Knack is pretty great. I don't really consider it a straight platformer though, too much GOW-like battles. It really doesn't have much to do with platforming really.

well I've only seen gameplay streaming video of Knack and video gameplay via Youtube of SM3DW... I think it's a matter of taste. There's a lot of beautiful stuff happening in SM3DW but the textures are dull, soft and blurry compared to Knack which looks like you can reach into the screen and grab things. As long as people enjoy the games that's all that matters. I think SM3DW looks more advanced regarding the gameplay and game engine overall. I'm sure I'll enjoy both once I get them... I'm not in the mood for platform games since I need to play Super Mario Bros. and I've been getting really frustrated playing Mutant Mudd Deluxe on Wii U lol.

I haven't heard of that, is it any good?

#19 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

If I owned a PS4 I would buy Knack.

#20 Posted by Grieverr (2737 posts) -

@yixingtpot said:

well I've only seen gameplay streaming video of Knack and video gameplay via Youtube of SM3DW... I think it's a matter of taste. There's a lot of beautiful stuff happening in SM3DW but the textures are dull, soft and blurry compared to Knack which looks like you can reach into the screen and grab things.

A lot of the detail in a game gets lost in a youtube video or stream. SM3DW has no blurry or soft textures. Everything is razor sharp, detailed, and colorful.

#21 Posted by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

@Grieverr said:

@yixingtpot said:

well I've only seen gameplay streaming video of Knack and video gameplay via Youtube of SM3DW... I think it's a matter of taste. There's a lot of beautiful stuff happening in SM3DW but the textures are dull, soft and blurry compared to Knack which looks like you can reach into the screen and grab things.

A lot of the detail in a game gets lost in a youtube video or stream. SM3DW has no blurry or soft textures. Everything is razor sharp, detailed, and colorful.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it... but I do have Super Mario Bros. and was just assuming the graphics would be similar despite the game engine being more advanced in SM3DW.

#22 Edited by marcheegsr (2835 posts) -

Ill probably get it when its around $20. Just too much to play at the moment.