Kingdoms of Amalur

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts

What did you like about it?

What did you dislike about it?

No spoilers please.

enorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 enorox
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts

What did you like about it?

What did you dislike about it?

No spoilers please.

PinnacleGamingP

Liked:
-Best combat system I've played in a game. For a hack and slash, they really did a great job inplementing this type of combat in this genre of game. Sure as hell beats the combat in games such as DA:O and Skyrim.

-Game mechanics - very similar to an offline wow in my opinion which is a huge plus to me. Between the quest tracking, maps, inventory, merchants etc.. it was really polished

Disliked:
-Art (apparently the word st.yle is forbidden) I prefer art more in the likes of Dragon Age for example. A more realistic dark toned environment. I wasn't a big fan of the colorful, bright setting that Amalur was set in.

-Busy work questing. I say this with a flame shield on -- You go to a town pick up all your quests and go out and do them. I understand that this is the meat of the game but I would prefer a more linear direction of questing. Again, I'll have to compare it to Dragon Age : Origins and how they went through with it. The majority of your questing was towards the main story while side quests were completely optional. I felt as if you could get lost in the side quests and completely forget what's going on with the main story. It just doesn't fit together well for me. I had the same problem with Skyrim. Too many side quests and you get sidetracked from what the main story holds.

-Difficulty. The game has a huge balance problem. Even on the hardest setting I'm trucking through mobs like nothing. There's no real challenge to fit the awesome combat system. I heard there's a patch in the future coming out to address this, but not totally sure. Because of this it makes the combat a little tedious and boring.

Overall:
I love the game. Really polished and very entertaining. The dislikes are not big enough that it should shy players away from at least trying the game out as the likes are well worth the purchase. I do not regret purchasing this game.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Like:

To put it simply, It makes Skyrim look really, really bad.

Skyrim is the buggiest game to ever come onto a console, people defended it by saying that its impossible to get such a big and complex game to run well. But heres Kingdoms of Amalur, and it runs just fine.

Aside from hectics battle scenes, the framerate stays smooth, and the only other tech flaw i saw was some minor texture popping, but its barely noticable.

Its combat DESTROYS Skyrims, Skyrim doesnt even try, this game actually put effort into it and made it fun.

Dislikes:

Nothing really.

Overall:

Excellent game, easily better than Skyrim.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
Liked the combat. Did not like the storyline, it was total sleep-sauce. I honestly am pretty sure I could have made a more entertaining storyline but eh, it was passable. I also did not like the art style at all, it just does not fit this type of game, it could have been so much more dark and foreboding. That would have made it a lot more enjoyable for me but whatever, I'm sure some people liked it well enough.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Like:

-It runs smoothly, fun combat, huge open world, reminds me of the first fable but better, many creative weapons like the chakrams, very little bugs/glitches, just an all around good game its worth the price in my opinion.

Dislike:

-the level cap, can't jump off ledges, sometimes the stealth kills just suck, can't stealth kill bigger enemies, if you equip robes it takes away your leg armor.

It's a good buy, and a very good alternative to Skyrim if you like open world games.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I was letdown by how generic characters, lore, and art direction was with the demo, and the combat really wasn't much fun either. Does it get better later?
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

liked :

- rich and varied levelling, useful skills including crafting (for once the items you craft are really interesting, not only to sell them), detect hidden is essential to see good things on the map, persuasion can change some storylines ... ; for combat skills, mixing finesse/might/sorcery or doing only one will do incredibly different playstyle ; the "destinies" will give you special bonuses depending on the number of points spent on finesse/might/sorcery (who also are important for the armor you can equip)

- combat lets you free to fight as you want (even fighting with a two handed sword AND shield), I mix chakram, archery, traps and ice blast, but you can use sword, staff and flame ... or scepter, dagger and lightning ...

- the quests are all voiced and characters are mostly endearing, even the secondary ones (i remember a wolf turned into a man by faes asking to remove the curse calling you "two paws", a woman driven half mad by cursed water asking you to stop it from making everyone ill, an elf asking you to speak to imortant guests to know how to rank them for a parade ...) ; the main story is average, bad guy with an army threatening everibody, but like you'll find in EVERY other RPG, some thought has been given to the main factions, their important characters and motivations

- music /art is very good

- loot is very rich, and you can't get all special bonuses by smithing/magic gems, making what you find and what you destroy into parts to craft later something to think about

- over 100 hours if you do lots of quests

- design of weapons and armor is nice

disliked :

- once you understand weaponsmith and choose the good skills you won't die easily, making fights easy (but fun anyway)

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts

Liked -

Combat - More like a hack and slash.
Loot - Insane armors, Amazing weapons.
Levelling Up - Got a feeling that I was constantly rewarded with experience bonuses, skills.
Quests - If you do all the side quests, then you can spend way over 150 hours

Hated -

Characters Conversations - I am one of those guys who make sure that I watch every single cut-scene, listen to every little conv and also talk to every NPC, but in this game, I found talking to NPCs a boring and a chore... I wanted to get back into the action ASAP...

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

I just picked up this game last week and here are my thoughts on it after 5 hours.

Liked: Combat - Fast and very very responsive. I am playing on my laptop and using the 360 gamepad is more comfortable than the keyboard and mouse FOR THIS GAME.

Art - The art reminds me of World of Warcraft sort of so when I am playing this it feels like sometimes I'm playing a crossover between WOW and Fable.

Customization - The character leveling and everything in this genre is fantastic, so many choices.

Dislike: Voice-Acting - I honestly dislike the voice acting in this game, however I feel like I'm trying to compare it to other games out on the market.

Fetch Quests - The infamous fetch quests are a hassle to deal with in the beginning just to get your bearings of the game and it is pretty annoying to do these over and over again.

Overall: I can see why some people enjoyed this over Skyrim. Skyrim was amazing, however it did have it setbacks such as combat. At the first the combat was finnicky (but I had no problems with K+M). I think this Kingdoms of Amalur is a fantastic entry to the RPG realm if anyone loves fantasy RPGs (especially if you love Fable). The gameplay is similay to Fable or to most hack-n-slash games, but more so Fable. Being able to explore the expansive map just like in Skyrim is really amazing and adds so much more depth into the game. I can't wait to dig deeper into the game and story (which isn't bad either).

Bassmanfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bassmanfunk
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts

I loved the game. There was nothing I did not like. The game runs well. I did not run into any glitches. The combat is fun. The skills and leveling system is cool. I like the way the classes are set up and how they work with the destinies. I ove the loot system!

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
How's the story?
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
whats the best class to use in this?
risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts
okay, then if wont like this. i loved games for their cut scenes and voice acting
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
whats the best class to use in this?PinnacleGamingP
I've been pretty happy with my dagger & chakram rogue-mage. But my second character, a greatsword & bow all-rounder, is fun to play too. I'd say simply use any skill that fits your play styIe and your class is going to be just perfect. If not you can reallocate all your points for a small fee so that's not an issue.