Just signed up for PS+... tell me about the cool features

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by donalbane (16211 posts) -

So I'm getting a PS4, and decided to get PS+ now so I could download a few of the free PS3 games they were offering in October, but what other interesting features does the service have that I should know about? I haven't really kept up with it over the past year or so, so any advice on how to make the most of Plus would be welcome.

#2 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

Besides the free games you also get discounts on games and some free avatars and themes.

#3 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25608 posts) -

1GB of cloud storage for game saves. Gets around that awful copy protection on some games.

#4 Posted by donalbane (16211 posts) -

1GB of cloud storage for game saves. Gets around that awful copy protection on some games.

What do you mean? Like how you can't copy save games for some titles?

When my 60GB PS3 died, I was so upset when I lost my MGS4 save... I didn't kill anybody or get spotted and unlocked the bandana. Tell me, do you have to manually have it back your saves up?

#5 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25608 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

What do you mean? Like how you can't copy save games for some titles?

When my 60GB PS3 died, I was so upset when I lost my MGS4 save... I didn't kill anybody or get spotted and unlocked the bandana. Tell me, do you have to manually have it back your saves up?

Yeah, it's only a minority of titles that have copy protection. A nuisance though.

You don't have to do it manually. First enable Automatic Updates in System Settings for whatever timeframe you want, its split into 2 hour windows. When you first start a game it asks you something like "Do you want to enable online save storage for this game via automatic updates?" Choose "yes" and the PS3 switches itself on at whatever time you set in Automatic Updates to upload the saves. Automatic Updates also downloads game patches and finishes any pending downloads.

#6 Posted by SoNin360 (5393 posts) -

Most things have been mentioned... games, discounts, cloud storage... but there's also game trials. You get to download a full game and play it for an hour basically. Takes longer to download than you get to play it, but still a cool little feature nonetheless.

#7 Edited by marcheegsr (2530 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

Most things have been mentioned... games, discounts, cloud storage... but there's also game trials. You get to download a full game and play it for an hour basically. Takes longer to download than you get to play it, but still a cool little feature nonetheless.

Yea im looking forward to downloading games on ps4 and being able to play them as their downloading.

#8 Posted by donalbane (16211 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

Yea im looking forward to downloading games on ps4 and being able to play them as their downloading.

Me too. I pre-ordered Shadowfall digitally today, and I'm so glad I don't have to wait for the full download on launch day. Any word on whether or not the download speed on PSN will improve with the PS4 over the current rates? I sure hope so. It seems no matter how fast your download speed is, PSN has always been a bit slower than their competitors.

#9 Posted by SoNin360 (5393 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

Actually, what I'm saying is that you have access to timed game trials as a PS+ member. It's like renting a game, but you only get to play it for an hour. It might not be worthwhile because of how long it takes to download full digital games, unless your Internet is amazing. That and the selection isn't incredible after looking over it. Still, might be worth checking out. I've done it a few times and actually ended up buying one of the games because I liked it, and since I already had it downloaded I just had to purchase it to be able to keep playing it.

#10 Edited by dipdish (867 posts) -

PS+ instant game catalog is pretty amazing, if you're an European PS+ member. = )