Just beat Mass Effect 1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

i got mass effect 1 since i played the other 2 and they finaly released this one for ps3. it was great, i enjoyed it although driving around in those barren worlds with the car for sidequests and stuff got annoying pretty quick. is it just me, or is the first one shorter than the others? i clocked in at 30 hours which is the expected length i guess but the other ones seemed longer. i think i hit almost 60 hours on the second one, don't know how i managed that.

still great game though, this one seemed like more of an rpg since it was harder in terms of combat. i couldn't get through without liara her biotics are clutch. i played the other ones on normal like a third person shooter and had no problems but in this one i had to really use all the powers i could. makes me wanna replay number 2. anyway, after playing the whole series now id say my favourite was mass effect 2. which game do u think was the best out of the series?

#2 Posted by hiryu3 (7304 posts) -
I'm on playthrough 3 and I just hit 44 hours. I did every sidequest but then again I played this game multiple times on PC
#3 Posted by Sokol4ever (6305 posts) -

So in the last 48 hours since the game came out, you spent over 30 hours playing the game in last two days? Wow..

Well, I hope you enjoyed it. :)

#4 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

So in the last 48 hours since the game came out, you spent over 30 hours playing the game in last two days? Wow..

Sokol4ever

what do u mean i got it like last week

#5 Posted by youngmurk911 (3855 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

idunnodude

what do u mean i got it like last week

don't even question it.....thats how folks on tha forums get down.....they assume
#6 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
...i enjoyed it although driving around in those barren worlds with the car for sidequests and stuff got annoying pretty quick.idunnodude
Say what you will about driving around, but I'd rather do that than scan planets....*Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
#7 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

[QUOTE="idunnodude"]...i enjoyed it although driving around in those barren worlds with the car for sidequests and stuff got annoying pretty quick.Kravyn81
Say what you will about driving around, but I'd rather do that than scan planets....*Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

really? atleast scanning the planets didn't take forever. driving around collecting minerals (which i still don't know what the purpose of those are) and shooting was mildly amusing at best. i wish i spent more time fighting. thats why i like the sidequest method in ME2, they just drop u off at the main spot and you get straight to it. none of the driving nonsense.

#8 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="idunnodude"]...i enjoyed it although driving around in those barren worlds with the car for sidequests and stuff got annoying pretty quick.Kravyn81

Biggest flaw of an otherwise great game. But yeah, what a buzzkill.

#9 Posted by coasterguy65 (5920 posts) -

The nice thing about scanning planets is that you only have to do it until you get enough resources. Which is made even easier after you beat The Lair of the Shadow Broker.

You have no choice but to drive the Mako from place to place.

#10 Posted by Bluski (427 posts) -

The terrain was hard to access on the Mako but I did the side quests anyways which sucks cuz none of those side quests matter in 2 or 3 especially those tag collecting ones, but you should still do the squadmate mission ones if you want extra dialogue in the sequels, which I guess also doesn't really matter really since it's like one sentence of dialogue. So none of the sidequests are worth doing. But still a good game.

#11 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -
this one seemed like more of an rpg since it was harder in terms of combat.i played the other ones on normal like a third person shooter and had no problems but in this one i had to really use all the powers i could. idunnodude
And this is why I loved ME1 and hated 2 and 3. 2 and 3 were just corridor shooters. No planet exploration, no crouch and holster, just hallways. In ME3 even the citadel feels very confined and bland (hospital as primary example).
#12 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

That's great that the best game of the series is now on PS3.

Like the guy just above me, ME1=good, ME2/3 = what the hell???

#13 Posted by Saladin__7 (149 posts) -
All three possess outstanding qualities, distinct from the other ones. One is the foundation for the following games and I think the content is some of the most influential. For example, that colony of plant-controlled citizens, saving either Ashley or Kaiden, and the krogan breeding facility along with killing or sparing Urdnot Wrex. Two was more about getting to the Collectors than anything else. Three was warfare and Bioware changed the game a lot to make the gunfights warlike.
#14 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Sokol4ever
Uhh, the game came out more than a week ago.
#15 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

It's not nearly as polished or refined as the second two but it's still a really good game that had its moments, and I'll take it over Mass Effect 3 any day. Number two is still by far the best in my opinion though.

#16 Posted by BlueVigor (43 posts) -
Can't bring myself to play it since the Unreal Engine is really crappy and even though ME2 was one of the best designed games using the engine, i know that ME1 has to be really crappy design wise.
#17 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4693 posts) -
I beat the game a few years ago, on my first playthrough, in 13 hours. Yea, I didn't do a whole lot of side missions lol.
#18 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i like the mako parts overall. i mean, the execution could have been better in that aiming the turret should have been tighter and making the lead ups to the main missions zig-zag courses was a bad idea. however, the normal missions of exploring the open planets were good for the pacing and the mass effect universe. they establish the space frontier and they add something else to do besides pure shooting to round things out.

however, i'd probably give an edge to the planet scanning. in terms of pacing, it really is a third distinct part alongside dialogue and combat. also, i always felt a little bad about scouring all those planets and draining them of their natural resources.

i wouldn't want to play a full game about the mako or planet scanning, but i think they both serve their purpose.

#19 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
I actually liked the Mako sections. They could have been better, but I enjoyed exploring the barren worlds. I still feel the first game in the series is the best.
#20 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -
No, Mass Effect 1 and 2 are roughly the same length. ME2 is a bit longer with all the DLC, it's Mass Effect 3 that's shorter and the sidequests in that game are lazy and terrible.
#21 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -
[QUOTE="idunnodude"]this one seemed like more of an rpg since it was harder in terms of combat.i played the other ones on normal like a third person shooter and had no problems but in this one i had to really use all the powers i could. PetJel
And this is why I loved ME1 and hated 2 and 3. 2 and 3 were just corridor shooters. No planet exploration, no crouch and holster, just hallways. In ME3 even the citadel feels very confined and bland (hospital as primary example).

The planet exploration in ME1 was abysmal at best. Just the same generic looking landscape with a different texture over it and you're reward is going in the same exact warehouse that's on every other planet. It got old FAST. I love ME1 as well but that is easily the worst part of the game. You can holster your gun in ME2 and crouch doesn't really matter since the gameplay in ME2 is miles better than ME1.
#22 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"][QUOTE="idunnodude"]this one seemed like more of an rpg since it was harder in terms of combat.i played the other ones on normal like a third person shooter and had no problems but in this one i had to really use all the powers i could. anime_gamer007

The planet exploration in ME1 was abysmal at best. Just the same generic looking landscape with a different texture over it and you're reward is going in the same exact warehouse that's on every other planet. It got old FAST. I love ME1 as well but that is easily the worst part of the game. You can holster your gun in ME2 and crouch doesn't really matter since the gameplay in ME2 is miles better than ME1.

Planet exploration was average at best, I somewhat agree with you there. But it did broaden the variety in gameplay and there were some cool sidemissions to be found on the planets. Vehicle combat was mediocre but I would have rather seen them improve upon it instead of removing it. Holstering was in ME2 indeed but was removed in ME3.

#23 Posted by Sokol4ever (6305 posts) -

That's is one part i hated about ME3. Weapon holstering after combat so i can see more from behind my character. I always enjoyed looking at the environments and exploring. Its a different game in a way, more shooting oriented

l love it but i sometimes wished it was more like ME1.

#24 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

after beating ME1 im playing through ME2 now on hardcore difficulty with my ME1 save. you can still play it like ME1, just up the difficulty to your liking and you'll pretty much have to use your powers and tactics. after doing this i can't imagine how hard insanity on ME1 would be. man i forgot how immersive this game is, such a great balance between story and gameplay. looking forward to ME4, i just hope they don't sell out or anything and continue to focus on the characters and story. although i do enjoy the ME3 multiplayer, i was skeptical at first but they made it work its actually pretty awesome.