Is Your Playstation 3 The Hub Of Your Entertainment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 EtherTwilight
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts
Part of that $500-$600 pricetag that you bit the bullet on was intended towards it being used as more of a hub for your entertainment.

Well, I'm just wondering if it actually is so far for any of you, and to what extents?

1. Movies - Do you use the Playstation 3 as your primary source for watching movies?  If so, have you ventured into the BD format outside of that free one you possibly got when you bought the system?  Also, if you own Crank, let alone on Blu-Ray, lol@u.
  2. Music - Do you have any music on your Playstation, cranking it up to experience your wide array of uh...music ripped from your CD collection through your television and/or surround sound?
  3. Video/Audio - Do you even have an HDTV?  Or surround sound?  Because Sony says you should.
  4. Pictures - Who cares that you have that sleek, six hundred dollar piece of hardware.  Let's see the slideshow of your trip to the Grand Canyon!
  5. Fortune Telling - Has your Playstation 3 divined your future yet?  I swear it whispers the coming day's events to me while I'm asleep.  It's either that or my cat running around my apartment.
  6. Internet Browsing - Is the Playstation 3's internet browser taking over as one you use fairly often?
  7. Linux - Because installing Windows on the XBox's primary target of concern could potentially actually cause the fabric of reality to collapse in on itself, people are taking the safe route and installing Linux on their system.  Have you?
  8. Syncing With Playstation Portable - Are you excited about this?  Do you even own a PSP?  Does it make you want a PSP?
  9. Weighing Down Precious Documents - As of right now, my Playstation 3 is ensuring the survival and location of my birth certificate.
  10. What Else Does It Do? - Maybe it's boosted your self-confidence.  Conversely, maybe you had to file for chapter eleven bankruptcy after the purchase.  Get a date with that special someone?  Only to find out they just wanted to come over and throwdown a few rounds of Resistance?
At any rate.  Let everyone know just how much you're getting out of your Playstation 3, even things I may have forgotten.  Afterall, the fact that it's more that "just another gaming console" is part of that pricetag.
fballplyr319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fballplyr319
Member since 2004 • 248 Posts
1. I use my ps3 as my main source of watchin movies. i have a couple of BD movies and the picture quality is amazing to say the least. 2. I have about 6 hours of music on my ps3 right now. Not too bad 3. I have a Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p Lcd hooked up to a 1200 watt surround system. Not too shabby... 4. I have about 100 pics. I'll hook up a memory card every now and then to show off some vacation pics. 5. It acts as my personal fortune cookie, down to what pair of underwear i'll wear tomorrow 6. Its too slow in my opinion, i mostly stick to my pc. But ill check some sites on it if im too lazy to boot up my pc. 7. I have wanted to install Linux but im not entirely sure what it would do. anyone wanna help me with that? 8. My girlfriend has a psp so i just jack hers whenever i wanna play. The remote play function's kinda cool. 9. My ps3 is used to make sure my stand doesn't topple over, haha. 10. My ps3 has allowed me to end world hunger and cure cancer with the touch of a button. I'd have to say that im getting an excellent experience out of my ps3. I know im more fortunate than others when it comes to my TV setup but i have no regrets buyin it. Although, i still have yet to grill some T-bones on it. Hmmm, thats something to try.
T-Zone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 T-Zone
Member since 2003 • 4525 Posts
I havent really used my Ps3 for anything else much other then Gaming...I use it to surf the net here and then... I dont know what the future has for my Ps3. Well, I'll just wait and see...
trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#4 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
I use it for games, sometimes web browsing when friends are over. I have music on it too but I dont really listen to it.
CJMcDursty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CJMcDursty
Member since 2005 • 506 Posts
What is this Playstation 3 you speak of young one???
rahzel54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 rahzel54
Member since 2004 • 1732 Posts
i use the ps3 for gaming only right now (and occasionally ill use the internet browser if someones on the computer). ill probably buy some blu-ray movies eventually. i have a stand-alone CD and upconverting DVD player for those purposes, all in which are connected to my 5.1 stereo system and connected to my LCD TV.
carsales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 carsales
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts

I've used the ps3 mostly for the bluray movies. I have five of them now. And since blockbuster carries them online for rentals, I think I'll be using it alot more. I have a 360 and it streams videos pictures and music from my computer, and in my opinion is a better gaming system, I would say I use the 360 alot more. I guess right now the ps3 is just a bluray player, I don't like fighting games and I don't like motorstorm so I think it will be a while befor it takes the place of the 360

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
I have a 360 and PS3. Between the two of them, they are my entertainment hub.
laduj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 laduj
Member since 2003 • 1914 Posts

It's not the hub of my entertainment center.  Looking at the points you raised:

1. Movies - I use the Blu-Ray player and have been watching regular DVD's on it as well.  Since I got the remote, it's been much easier, I didn't like using the controller.  If you watch any movies, the remote is a must buy.
  2. Music - No.  I have over 20GB of music on my server, and I can stream that into my media room with the 360 or through my receiver, which has an ethernet connection.  Ripping to the PS3 would be time consuming and pointless.
  3. Video/Audio - I have a 65" 1080P HDTV, and a 7.1 sound system
  4. Pictures - Not all that important to me.  Once again, I can just stream from my server on my 360. 
  5. Fortune Telling - Hmm....I must have missed an update 
  6. Internet Browsing - This would probably be better with a wireless keyboard, but I have a few laptops, and my MacBook is usually in my media room, so I usually just surf on that. 
  7. Linux - I thought about it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I have Ubuntu Linux set up on my MacBook with Parallels, and I have SuSE running on an old machine, so it's not crucial.  I just dread re-downloading everything after partitioning the drive.
  8. Syncing With Playstation Portable - Not terribly excited about this.  I do have a PSP, but I hardly use it, as the games just haven't wowed me since launch.  Remote Play, in it's current incarnation seems fairly useless, as it requires the PS3 to be turned on.   Also, I'm not sure why the PS3 requires a WPA connection to the PSP.
  9. Weighing Down Precious Documents - 2 words for you:  Filing Cabinet.  You never know when that birth certificate will be needed.
  10. What Else Does It Do? - I basically only use it to play BRD's and some DVD's.  Seeing as more games are coming out in the near future, I'll probably be playing more, but right now, it's not doing too much.
Avatar image for GamersNightmare
GamersNightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamersNightmare
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts
The PS3 is just another piece to my otherwise large Audio collection whether it be for my home or car. I'm currently working on my car install which includes a PS3.
GameCrazed85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GameCrazed85
Member since 2006 • 1013 Posts
My playstation 3 isn't anywhere near the main point of my entertainment. My PC is still far better for storing music and movies. The PC is 100 times better at browsing the web. Linux on my ps3 is a joke right now. Forget the ps3 as a PC period. I have an hdtv and surround sound hooked to the PS3 but it is also hooked to the 360,Wii, and normal television so isn't solely for the PS3. I watch movies on my PS3 occasionally but I have found far more titles that I want to watch are on hd-dvd and not blu-ray. I have also not been happy with the way studios transfer movies to blu-ray. The picture quality isn't impressive to me even in 1080p. Hd-dvd is getting the better transfers right now IMO. So basically my PS3 plays video games, well not right now because I am tired of the only fun game on the system, but in a month or so It will play video games and that's about it. Isn't that the pooint of a GAME console anyways? Just my view on things I know most of you will disagree. I'm glad you all think the PS3 is the best thing since sliced bread. Enjoy it.
bored88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bored88
Member since 2004 • 4978 Posts
I use it for games and movies. Everything else I use my PC. Well, I shouldn't say movies. DVDs and Blu-ray movies I use with my PS3. I was my PC for movies obtained via other means.
Silvaryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Silvaryn
Member since 2004 • 294 Posts

Not really a hub for much of anything so far. I guess the TV itself is really the hub if there is one, since so many other things go through it.

1. Movies - No, still use an upconverting HDMI DVD player for watching DVDs. No Blu-Ray movies yet, didn't get a free one and need to research which ones do and don't have really good HD transfers before I start buying any.
  2. Music - No, not at all yet. I'm not sure I understand why it would even be an advantage to start filling up the PS3's hard drive with stuff I can just play off the CD normally, but I guess it's an option if you're into that.
  3. Video/Audio - Yes on an HDTV: a 50" Sony SXRD. Yes on surround sound. Also use DirecTV HD with Tivo, which is where most of my "passive" entertainment comes from -- watching movies and content when I'm not actively playing something on the PS2 or PS3.
  4. Pictures - No. Cute feature if you use a digital camera, but haven't felt compelled to do anything with it.
  5. Fortune Telling - No. That is your cat. Mine does that too. Just do whatever it tells you to do. Trust me, it's easier that way.
  6. Internet Browsing - Used it for about 20 frustrating minutes, unlikely to mess with it again until/unless I get a keyboard and mouse to go with the PS3. And if I get those, it'll mainly be when games start supporting them. Web browsing anything but the Playstation Store on the PS3 is not a high priority, given that the PC is my Internet appliance of choice.
  7. Linux - The kid with the blanket from Peanuts? Well, I... oh, Linux... no. No desire to mess with that, can't see where it'd be worth the hassle for most gamers.
  8. Syncing With Playstation Portable - Don't have a PSP. Not planning to get a PSP.
  9. Weighing Down Precious Documents - Tsk!
  10. What Else Does It Do? - Self-confidence unaffected by 'stuff', and I can't say the price ever seemed that big a deal, really. The biggest side-effect so far is to give me an even greater appreciation of my PS2 than I already had. When I sit down to play, it's still the ol' Deuce that gets the lion's share of my gaming time.

I guess I'm not forward-thinking enough, but even though Blu-Ray will be very nice to have, I really did just get the PS3 to be a gaming platform. As such, it's off to a bit of a slow start, but clearly the potential is there. I haven't regretted getting it though, and hopefully we'll see better and better use made of its gaming potential in the near future.

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

I have a 360 and PS3. Between the two of them, they are my entertainment hub.b11051973

This guy mirrors my set-up, but my 360 is more of my gaming machine, and the ps3 is more of the hub.

bgj887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bgj887
Member since 2003 • 643 Posts

Movies
- yea i use it for my dvd's (dont really have any Blu Ray's cuz i dont have a hdtv yet) i have movies, music videos, and tv episodes on my 120gb hdd

Music
- yea i have my whole music library on there, i cant wait til they add custom sdtk on there, right now i just use my songs when i wanna hear a song or in between changing discs

Video/Audio - i gotta get a car so a hdtv can come later, i do have surround sound set up though

Pictures
- i have some pictures, i like the photo album slideshow

Fortune Telling
- ?????????????????????????????

Internet Browsing
- the one on my pc is better cuz on ps3 alot of things are not supported (video formats etc.) so i dont use it that often, its good to have though

Linux
- i dont have a desire to right now, maybe in the future

Syncing With Playstation Portable
- dont have a psp and dont plan on getting one but its a good feature

- i'm just happy it has full support for ps2 and ps1 games, it has so much potiential for the future
Theempire30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Theempire30
Member since 2006 • 2420 Posts
I just use it for games and chatting with my friends.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts
Part of that $500-$600 pricetag that you bit the bullet on was intended towards it being used as more of a hub for your entertainment.

Well, I'm just wondering if it actually is so far for any of you, and to what extents?

1. Movies - Do you use the Playstation 3 as your primary source for watching movies?  If so, have you ventured into the BD format outside of that free one you possibly got when you bought the system?  Also, if you own Crank, let alone on Blu-Ray, lol@u. (...)EtherTwilight

i've stop reading at the bold, dont you have anything else to do?
every time a new PlayStation cames out it is bached by "every one", and look what happens:

NINTENDO

NES - 60 millions
SNES - 49 millions
N64 - 32,93 millions
GameCube - 21,52 millions

SEGA

Master System - 13 millions
Mega Drive - 29 millions
Sega Saturn - 10 millions
Dreamcast - 10,6 millions

SONY

PlayStation - 106,49 millions
PlayStation 2 - 115,36 millions (still selling better than anyone)

MICROSOFT

Xbox - 24 millions

no one has ever got even close, PS brand is the more dominant ever, no one has ever reach that kind of popularity, and if you think just cuz people make topics like this that is gonna change, I lol@u.

in the past there were a lot of people doing the same and they didnt stop th PS..

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163625.html?tag=lastword;link
"The firm believes that the PS3 will ultimately carry the largest market share, with 75 million PS3s sold worldwide by 2010." - GAMESPOT

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7253/127/
"The company predicts that more than 120 million PS3s will be sold through 2012, compared to 60 million Xbox 360s and 23 million Nintendo Wiis." - ITWIRE

http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=43981&src=site-marq
Dublin-based Research and Markets claims that the latest version of Sony's games console will rack up 71 million sales, with the Xbox 360 selling around 40 million and the Wii coming third with around 31 million. - ITNEWS

http://ps3.ign.com/launchguide/
"Boasting 512 MB of RAM, a Blu-Ray disc drive, backwards compatibility, and the cutting edge Cell processor, PS3 is the most advanced game console ever created." - IGN

GloverD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GloverD
Member since 2004 • 1555 Posts
Movies,Game, Sometime the interent..I have music on it but i use my computer to play music as my surround sound broke,
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
I use mine for all my music, movies, and games.
Occasional surf the net.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts
This post belongs in "console wars."   It sounds more like you're trying to point out faults rather than asking a real question.
EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 EtherTwilight
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts
You people are completely illiterate here. Firstly, I wasn't mocking the the "Playstation brand," I was mocking the movie Crank. Because it deserves being mocked. For it is terrible. Secondly, again, I'm not mocking the Playstation 3. It is "intended" for those purposes - outside of the two jokeones, don't you people have a sense of humor? - so I was just wondering if anyone uses their PS3 for all its functionality, as I don't for the most part. Sheesh. Some people.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

1. Movies - Do you use the Playstation 3 as your primary source for watching movies?  If so, have you ventured into the BD format outside of that free one you possibly got when you bought the system?  Also, if you own Crank, let alone on Blu-Ray, lol@u.
  2. Music - Do you have any music on your Playstation, cranking it up to experience your wide array of uh...music ripped from your CD collection through your television and/or surround sound?
  3. Video/Audio - Do you even have an HDTV?  Or surround sound?  Because Sony says you should.
  4. Pictures - Who cares that you have that sleek, six hundred dollar piece of hardware.  Let's see the slideshow of your trip to the Grand Canyon!
  5. Fortune Telling - Has your Playstation 3 divined your future yet?  I swear it whispers the coming day's events to me while I'm asleep.  It's either that or my cat running around my apartment.
  6. Internet Browsing - Is the Playstation 3's internet browser taking over as one you use fairly often?
  7. Linux - Because installing Windows on the XBox's primary target of concern could potentially actually cause the fabric of reality to collapse in on itself, people are taking the safe route and installing Linux on their system.  Have you?
  8. Syncing With Playstation Portable - Are you excited about this?  Do you even own a PSP?  Does it make you want a PSP?
  9. Weighing Down Precious Documents - As of right now, my Playstation 3 is ensuring the survival and location of my birth certificate.
  10. What Else Does It Do? - Maybe it's boosted your self-confidence.  Conversely, maybe you had to file for chapter eleven bankruptcy after the purchase.  Get a date with that special someone?  Only to find out they just wanted to come over and throwdown a few rounds of Resistance?

At any rate.  Let everyone know just how much you're getting out of your Playstation 3, even things I may have forgotten.  Afterall, the fact that it's more that "just another gaming console" is part of that pricetag.
EtherTwilight

I don't think the PS3 is capable of being a media hub. When they can offer streaming videos, pictures, music and maybe television then we can talk about it being a media hub. Having to copy every single media to it is a pain especially since the majority of us store everything on our PC.

arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 arabi_89
Member since 2006 • 1299 Posts
At the moment i am enjoying none of them because i am in Europe. After march 23rd :D i will be enjoying everything from 1-10 cant wait.
Reddsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Reddsk
Member since 2004 • 4422 Posts
  1. Movies - Do you use the Playstation 3 as your primary source for watching movies? Yep! I have tons of DVD's ripped onto the HD. Haven't picked up any Blu-Ray but I'll start my collection soon.
  2. Music - Yep! I dumped a bunch of my music on the HD as well and still listen to them when I'm in the mood.
  3. Video/Audio - HDTV-Check.
  4. Pictures - I have a folder of cool pictures just to show off the system, but I don't use this as often.
  5. Fortune Telling - Not that I know of...
  6. Internet Browsing - At first yes, but it is still to clunky to use more often. I love using it to check for quick game help on websites though.
  7. Linux - Nope, don't see any reason to install this right now.
  8. Syncing With Playstation Portable - I used Remote Play to listen to music while working in the house. REALLY looking forward to the option to broadcast over the internet and pick it up through Wi-fi. A "virtual HD" streaming from the air is going to be great if it runs smoothly.
  9. Weighing Down Precious Documents - NOTHING touches my PS3.
  10. What Else Does It Do? - Mine is part of a gangsta rap duo with my PS2.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
I dont use mine for much of anything except for a occassional blu ray movie and a bit of Resistance from time to time.
jake0401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jake0401
Member since 2005 • 330 Posts
It truly is my hub for entertainment.  I use it for all the aforementioned reasons but here are a few that I really enjoy.

BluRay trailers - PSNetwork - those HD trailers are bomb johnson.  They should release full features on the network.

PSN Demos - Although sparse so far Gran Turismo HD was great, the Tekken HD game should be good, and I cannot wait for Mortal Kombat II RELEASE THE DAMN THING!

BluRay movies-  Only own the Departed and Talladega Nights but cant wait for more prime releases in the future (007)

Browsing - when I cannot get a connect in my room computer the wifi on the PS3 does my browsing

Porn - HD nuff said grand

Music - Keep a collection on there for parties and gatherings then throw it on.

Games - The reason I bought the damn thing but there is so much more that it does do.  It truly is a entertainment hub.

Yes I do have an HD TV and surround sound.  I did not want to spend $600 on a system that needs these components to reach its full potential in visuals, audio, and experience.  If i wanted to short myself on that end I would have bought a 360
RPG_Ash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RPG_Ash
Member since 2005 • 294 Posts
I'll be using my PS3 for games, and Blue Ray movies. I have a PC for everything else because its a lot better.
-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts

I use it for gaming (duh!), I watch movies (only have X3 on Blu-Ray for now) on it, I have tons of songs on it, I have tons of videos all of them being trailers of games/movies some in HD, I have over 500 photos there mostly game screenshots and some are also in HD, I browse the web with it too.

I always said that when I buy the PS3 I would use every feature I can with it and so it has been :P