Is there going to be a cross-game chat on PS4? Like XBL party chat?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sonny360Elite (1574 posts) -
I know on PS3 you can only chat if you were in the same game together or in a chat at the dashboard basically. On XBOX you can go into a party and chat no matter if you're in the same game or not. So, how will it work for PS4? Anyone know? Thanks a lot
#2 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Cross game chat is on the PS4 and it does not require a PS+ subscription to use it.

http://n4g.com/news/1288558/ps4-playstation-plus-details-cross-game-chat-doesnt-require-the-service

#3 Posted by ShermheadRyder (83 posts) -
Yes, this has been confirmed by Sony! About time :) They've stated they wanted to add it to the PS3 but there wasn't enough RAM available.
#4 Posted by Sonny360Elite (1574 posts) -
Excellent!
#5 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -
It's about time, the lack of that feature was the main reason I focused on the 360.
#6 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2398 posts) -

Definitely looking forward to finally getting this from Sony.  It definitely helps when playing MP games, so looking forward to it.

Not to change the thread too much, but does anyone know if we can use our current headsets for the PS4 (I don't really want to get another Sony headset after just getting one not too long ago).

#7 Posted by firefox59 (4418 posts) -

Cross game chat is on the PS4 and it does not require a PS+ subscription to use it.

http://n4g.com/news/1288558/ps4-playstation-plus-details-cross-game-chat-doesnt-require-the-service

Gargus
Cross game chat on SP games....huh.
#8 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9979 posts) -
Yes its on the Quad, but i dont see myself using it more that a hand full of times.
#9 Posted by MethodManFTW (25851 posts) -
[QUOTE="Gargus"]

firefox59

?
#10 Posted by Exiled_Badger (266 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"]I know on PS3 you can only chat if you were in the same game together or in a chat at the dashboard basically. On XBOX you can go into a party and chat no matter if you're in the same game or not. So, how will it work for PS4? Anyone know? Thanks a lot

Wow really? I didn't even know that about PS. I assume PS4 will do the same party chat system as Xbox has done. They seem to now be making the controller in the same fashion as Xbox. So most likely they will again be using some good ideas from MS, as MS has done with Sony.
#11 Posted by firefox59 (4418 posts) -
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Gargus"]

MethodManFTW

?

Well you need PS+ to play online, but if you don't need it for cross game chat and don't pay for PS+, then I guess the idea is you talk to your friends during SP games. Kinda like if you were on the telephone.
#12 Posted by GTR12 (9794 posts) -

Definitely looking forward to finally getting this from Sony. It definitely helps when playing MP games, so looking forward to it.

Not to change the thread too much, but does anyone know if we can use our current headsets for the PS4 (I don't really want to get another Sony headset after just getting one not too long ago).

blueboxdoctor

Current headsets work, I can't be bothered finding the GS article and linking it.

#13 Posted by varundbest11 (1 posts) -
Yup there is! And it wont require ps+!!!
#14 Posted by bezza2011 (2662 posts) -

It's about time, the lack of that feature was the main reason I focused on the 360.Legolas_Katarn

Really lol i mean i play games by myself, i don't have this urge to go ooo i'll speak to someone who is playing a completely different game to me, while i'm playing, i like to get into what i'm playing.

Party chat is pointless unless thats your life

#15 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

firefox59

Yes meaning you can be playing a single player game that has no online and still be able to talk to your friends playing other games. In other words, you dont have to be playing an online game to talk to use party chat.

#16 Posted by MethodManFTW (25851 posts) -
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="firefox59"] Cross game chat on SP games....huh.

?

Well you need PS+ to play online, but if you don't need it for cross game chat and don't pay for PS+, then I guess the idea is you talk to your friends during SP games. Kinda like if you were on the telephone.

you don't need PS+ for free to play games like PlanetSide 2, DC Universe Online, etc or MMOs like Elder Scrolls Online and whatever other MMOs come out for the platform.
#17 Posted by firefox59 (4418 posts) -
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] ?

you don't need PS+ for free to play games like PlanetSide 2, DC Universe Online, etc or MMOs like Elder Scrolls Online and whatever other MMOs come out for the platform.

Says who? Online gaming is online gaming. Your saying only the MP modes require PS+?
#18 Posted by SoNin360 (5567 posts) -
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="firefox59"] Well you need PS+ to play online, but if you don't need it for cross game chat and don't pay for PS+, then I guess the idea is you talk to your friends during SP games. Kinda like if you were on the telephone.

Says who? Online gaming is online gaming. Your saying only the MP modes require PS+?

http://www.psu.com/a019831/ Basically, it's up to the publishers of MMOs on deciding whether or not to require PS+.
#19 Posted by MethodManFTW (25851 posts) -
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="firefox59"] Well you need PS+ to play online, but if you don't need it for cross game chat and don't pay for PS+, then I guess the idea is you talk to your friends during SP games. Kinda like if you were on the telephone.

Says the internet. Do some research my friend.
#20 Posted by firefox59 (4418 posts) -
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]you don't need PS+ for free to play games like PlanetSide 2, DC Universe Online, etc or MMOs like Elder Scrolls Online and whatever other MMOs come out for the platform.SoNin360

http://www.psu.com/a019831/ Basically, it's up to the publishers of MMOs on deciding whether or not to require PS+.

Well yeah if a game is F2P the publisher obviously wouldn't want to charge, that's different. From the article "You will need it to enjoy online multiplayer." I think that answers that. It says something along those lines multiple times. It's not like it's a big deal.
#21 Posted by TheTenth10 (3061 posts) -

there will be multiplayer games not requiring PS+ : FTP and subscription games will not require PS+