Is there a difference between the 320GB PS3 and the 160GB ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kiro96 (410 posts) -

So is there a difference other than the (obviously) space?

#2 Posted by jshaas (2409 posts) -

So is there a difference other than the (obviously) space?

Kiro96
Nope. Just HDD size and price.
#3 Posted by ThePerro (3103 posts) -

I think the difference is that one has 320gb of hard drive space, whereas the other has 160 gb.

#4 Posted by newhighscore (2037 posts) -

if iam not mistaken, the 160 is still only made in the fat model. while the 320 is a slim. i could be wrong though...

#5 Posted by Dahaka-UK (6915 posts) -

if iam not mistaken, the 160 is still only made in the fat model. while the 320 is a slim. i could be wrong though...

newhighscore
There are 160GB PS3 slims as well.
#6 Posted by Kiro96 (410 posts) -

So I heard that the 160 GB doesn't have a Blu-Ray player. Is this true?

#7 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

Kiro96

They are all blu-ray players, the only difference between the 320 gig and the 160 gig is 160 gigs.

#8 Posted by jshaas (2409 posts) -

newhighscore
Yeah, you're thinking of the 160GB Uncharted bundle... at least that's what I remember. 120GB Slim has been replaced by the 160GB.
#9 Posted by dracolich666 (4426 posts) -

I think the difference is that one has 320gb of hard drive space, whereas the other has 160 gb.

ThePerro

Is that so??

#10 Posted by BluesKing527 (441 posts) -
I know this may be off topic but are there any different colored PS3's?
#11 Posted by RogueShodown (2818 posts) -

Kiro96
That's impossible. PS3 games are Blu-Ray discs...
#12 Posted by einzfunf (69 posts) -

as regard to different coloured ps3's i havent seen one in color other than black but i have seen a video on the net where a guy modified his ps3 and had a chrome case installed on it [i cant remember where i saw the video, this was going back 8 months ago now].

#13 Posted by dalscowboys22 (1335 posts) -
[QUOTE="RogueShodown"][QUOTE="Kiro96"]

please please please tell me you know that everyone is being sarcastic in this thread? after the first poster who answered the topic question everyone has been sarcastic..............
#15 Posted by newhighscore (2037 posts) -

[QUOTE="newhighscore"]

jshaas

Yeah, you're thinking of the 160GB Uncharted bundle... at least that's what I remember. 120GB Slim has been replaced by the 160GB.

ahh. yes, i was thinkin of the uncharted bundle. didnt know about the new standard slim. guess my 120 gig is limited edition now. woohoo! :P

#16 Posted by Stigmatist (200 posts) -

The 360GB model has a faster processor, and a better cooling system.

The 160's are known to fail after a couple years.

#17 Posted by CheekyIchi (713 posts) -

Nope. One just had a bigger hard drive and costs a bit more.

#18 Posted by tekken220 (5105 posts) -
[QUOTE="dalscowboys22"][QUOTE="RogueShodown"][QUOTE="Kiro96"]

please please please tell me you know that everyone is being sarcastic in this thread? after the first poster who answered the topic question everyone has been sarcastic..............

No. Everything mentioned here (except the Blu-Ray thing) is true.
#19 Posted by J-WOW (3105 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stigmatist"]

The 360GB model has a faster processor, and a better cooling system.

The 160's are known to fail after a couple years.

lol wut? the 160 has only been out for a couple months, so how are they known to fail after a couple years?
#20 Posted by LuisRodiles007 (1 posts) -
Other than the space the design is different too My friend has the 320gb and the buttons on it light up and above the eject button there's a blue light. Also the surface where the buttons lay on is chrome and the play station sign lights up white just like the buttons. The 160gb doesn't have that. The buttons don't light up at all, which is what I have.
#21 Posted by JoKeR_421 (8920 posts) -
yea their HDD lol one is bigger than the other
#22 Posted by beanz777 (156 posts) -
The only difference that I know of is that recent models (cech4000 series) do not have an led light for the eject button but everything else is the same
#23 Posted by bluefunky (2294 posts) -
Sony are releasing a red PS3 here in the UK. And they're doing red, white, blue and gold controllers as well.
#24 Posted by needweed (358 posts) -
the difference between the 160gb ps3 and the 320gb ps3 is that the 160gb ps3 has 160gb and the 320 gb ps3 has 320gb. DOYYYYYYYY!!!!! just like the difference between and frog and a cat is that a frog is a frog, and a cat is a cat
#25 Posted by Threesixtyci (4285 posts) -
There is a difference in laser model numbers between the 2011 and the 2012 versions of the 160 and 320GB. The 2011 model number is a KEM-250DAA laser, and the 2012 is KEM-350AAA, I believe.
#26 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18374 posts) -
They are exactly the same except for hdd space. I think the tc means this as a joke topic only he fails big time since he isn't funny.
#27 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

So many people who have only read the title but not even that short piece of text in the intital post where he clearly states that he knows (even "obviously" ) about the difference in size of the HDD but just wanted to know if there are other differences as well.

A totally legit question, ripped to pieces by overly drastic and inattentive GS users....

#28 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

ThePerro

You don't say?

#29 Posted by Nice2meatYou3 (2 posts) -
I understand that the power supply units were changed as the early slim PS3 power units kept on giving up the ghost and dying. SONY appear to be keeping the tens of thousands of customers who have had to replace their power units the brush off if the unit is over a year old. The early models were power supply model number was;- `APS 250` The later model power unit (which also FAILS [mine after 1-week]) is;- EADP-200DB So there appears to be a difference or two. Do Samsung make a games machine yet which plays PS3 games?
#30 Posted by Nice2meatYou3 (2 posts) -
The housing for the HardDrive is also slightly different on the two models.