Is the Vita being discontinued?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

I was going to buy a Vita today from GameStop but noticed there were only a hand full of games on the rack (about 10 different games). I asked the clerk if this was all they had for the handheld and she replied yes and that the Vita will soon be discontinued (for reasons unknown). She also stated that there are no games being developed for it after this year, wth...

I don't know much about this so I'm here to get a bit more feed back from those that do happen to have a Vita. How true is this?

Thanks in advance

#2 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

i hope it will , then ill be one of the lucky few ones to own one and will make alot of cash on ebay in a couple of years later

#3 Posted by halvedlife (988 posts) -
The clerk at that GameStop is ignorant and shouldn't have said that. Kaz Harai (Sony CEO) said himself that the Vita will be around for a long time, even though its sales aren't as good as expected. Wait for the upcoming price drop and this years good games to come out before passing judgement. Sony has no intention of discontinuing a platform launched less than a year ago.
#4 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -
Thanks guys. I just checked for the new releases in the Vita section of this site and all I saw coming out this year is OddWorld, Rocket Bird, Lego, Guacamelee, Starlight Inception, Urban Freestyle, Dead or Alive 5, Soul Sacrifice, MIB The Show, Mud, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet & Clank. There is nothing else planned (or mentioned) all the way to 2016. This current list of upcoming games is a bit discouraging, I'm not really sure the handheld is worth it if thats all they plan on putting out, atm. Ill probably end up waiting for that price drop and more news concerning the future of the Vita. thanks again for the insight.
#5 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

I'd be pretty ticked if employees in a store I ran started making up reasons not to buy what I'm selling. The Vita is only being discontinued in the sense that all systems are eventually be discontinued.

#6 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

I don't think Sony will discontinue a product this early. What's probably gonna happen is Sony will release a remodeled cheaper version of the vita. The Gamestop employee probably thought she knew what she was talking about but there is no way Sony will let it die with almost no effort...

#7 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway are supossed to come in 2013 too ! As for the ignorant employee at gamestop, there is not much to say except that the menager should fire her/his a$$ !

#8 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

I'd be pretty ticked if employees in a store I ran started making up reasons not to buy what I'm selling.logicalfrank

yeah they should give them a salesman training for sure :D

#9 Posted by chris24l (1286 posts) -
Don't think it will be discontinued soon. It's a very nice system. Best hand held for gaming bar none. I just got one a couple days ago and I gotta say the games are quite awesome. Traded in my 3ds which was collecting dust. The vita is far superior in every way. It is a pretty good deal for what you get. GameStop is probably trying to push the inventory that has been there a long time. The vita has not been.
#10 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3786 posts) -

It was probably a Nintendo 3DS owner telling you that. Vita is a fantastic gaming device. I guess people just dont want to realize it, and the media keeps dogging it out for some reason. The games are actually very good, almost too good to be true in some instances. I still cant believe the quality of some of these games on a handheld.

#11 Posted by ginger1coco (55 posts) -

I think the Vita is an excellent handheld, the reasons she probaly said that is because alot of the games for it are Downloadable from the ps store.

#12 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

I think the Vita is an excellent handheld, the reasons she probaly said that is because alot of the games for it are Downloadable from the ps store.

ginger1coco
well if it was a "she" it explains everything , women have no clue bout videogames :D
#13 Posted by Gen007 (10955 posts) -

They have put to much into it to discontinue it at this point even its continues to perform like it is im sure sony is in for the long haul good or bad.

#14 Posted by foxfacer2d2 (570 posts) -

discontinued? whaaaaaaaat?

#15 Posted by Kage1 (6731 posts) -

Never believe a word Gamestop employee say. Most of them are morons.

#16 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -

Kage1
Pretty much this. The Vita sin't being discontinued. It's true that there isn't a large selection of games nor is there a large amount of games announced for it, but it's not being discontinued at all. A lot of Gamestop employees are far from professional.
#17 Posted by JustBoomer (184 posts) -

Check out some other stores, they all have larger amount of NEW games on the shelfs.

#18 Posted by KBFloYd (13293 posts) -

if it does get discontinued. it won't be this year...

sony will not give up that easily.

#19 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -

if it does get discontinued. it won't be this year...

sony will not give up that easily.

KBFloYd
Yeah, and if they every do discontinue it we will see signs first. The price hasn't even dropped yet so there is no way they're considering discontinuing it.
#20 Posted by Ovirew (6326 posts) -

There is one of 3 things going on here:

1. The lady at Gamestop was correct, and apparently knows something that the rest of us Vita owners and the Internet knows nothing about yet.

2. The lady at Gamestop had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, or else wants the Vita to fail for some odd reason. (The latter would be funny, considering that the worker wouldn't want to push away a potential sale.)

3. The person who made this thread doesn't like the Vita, and wants to just stir up trouble and controversy for some reason. Probably because they are a 3DS owner who is a die-hard Nintendo fan.

Yeah, probably one of those three things.

#21 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

If the Vita really was being discontinued, then Gamespot definetly would have posted an article about it, it would have 1000+ comments, and a huge sh*tstorm would have brewed in System Wars.

#22 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18374 posts) -
I don't believe it.. a store that wants to make money isn't going to lie and tell you a system is being discontinued when it isn't.. unless the employee was really that stupid or misinformed.
#23 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -
I don't believe it.. a store that wants to make money isn't going to lie and tell you a system is being discontinued when it isn't.. unless the employee was really that stupid or misinformed.Rattlesnake_8
i get it now , they confused vita with the psp :D
#24 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

Yeah, this fence is starting to hurt my ass. I went to another Gamestop and one of the clerks say something similar, "the Vista underachieved and might be shelved in a year".

Now, I dont know what to believe, I figure since these people work in the gaming industry they may have the inside scoop on certain things concerning gaming. Im also aware that people with a Vita will try to persuade others to buy one simply because the extra sales will help support the Vita. I already know the Vita is a cool handheld, I still like and play my PSP, I just wanted to upgrade it but Im feeling a bit reluctant to because of the rumors.

Its a tough call because I dont know why employees will say something that is potentially damaging to their business, at the same time I like to think these people were just being honest and thought it was the right thing to do by helping a customer to not make a bad investment. Maybe if I wasnt already there buying ps3 games and another controller they wouldnt have mentioned the possibilities of the Vita's future. I too think its too early to throw in the towel, but I already had a bad experience with a discontinue system when I was much younger (the Sega Dream Cast). Maybe my best bet is to just wait a month or two to see what transpires. Hopefully this is just an economic issue, as the device is a bit pricy for many people in these times. If thats the case, Im sure they can remedy that. Any other news/links/articles regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated..... I can't seem to find anything on it.

thanks

#25 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
No, bnarmz, Gamestop employees never know anything.
#26 Posted by Ultrabeatdown55 (15314 posts) -

Yeah, this fence is starting to hurt my ass. I went to another Gamestop and one of the clerks say something similar, "the Vista underachieved and might be shelved in a year".

Now, I dont know what to believe, I figure since these people work in the gaming industry they may have the inside scoop on certain things concerning gaming. Im also aware that people with a Vita will try to persuade others to buy one simply because the extra sales will help support the Vita. I already know the Vita is a cool handheld, I still like and play my PSP, I just wanted to upgrade it but Im feeling a bit reluctant to because of the rumors.

Its a tough call because I dont know why employees will say something that is potentially damaging to their business, at the same time I like to think these people were just being honest and thought it was the right thing to do by helping a customer to not make a bad investment. Maybe if I wasnt already there buying ps3 games and another controller they wouldnt have mentioned the possibilities of the Vita's future. I too think its too early to throw in the towel, but I already had a bad experience with a discontinue system when I was much younger (the Sega Dream Cast). Maybe my best bet is to just wait a month or two to see what transpires. Hopefully this is just an economic issue, as the device is a bit pricy for many people in these times. If thats the case, Im sure they can remedy that. Any other news/links/articles regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated..... I can't seem to find anything on it.

thanks

bnarmz

I work at GameStop. Nobody knows anything about a discontinuation about the Vita and the employees speaking on it shouldn't be because they know absolutely nothing. Buy one, play it, and have fun.

/thread

#27 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

^^This is a bit comforting, I suppose. Perhaps you can assist me with something I forgot to mention during my visits at Game Stop. I meant to ask the people there if they could show/offer me a more consistent and definite list of upcoming games. Im not so sure if this sites list of Vita games is accurate because Im reading that there may be other releases that are not on their list. Do you have any official links or advice where I should be researching?

Also, do you happen to know when there will be a price drop for the Vita (if there is one), I wouldnt want to buy one today/tomorrow and find out that they will slash the price in half in a few weeks.

#28 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
It's definitely a dead system but no, it hasn't been discontinued. I have mine and I enjoy it but the writing is on the wall: this thing is selling horribly and there is very little in the way of upcoming support.
#29 Posted by Ovirew (6326 posts) -
It's definitely a dead system but no, it hasn't been discontinued. I have mine and I enjoy it but the writing is on the wall: this thing is selling horribly and there is very little in the way of upcoming support.famicommander
And yet again, this is coming from someone with the name FAMICOMmander. I wonder how long it'll be til the Nintendo fanboys start making accounts and pretending to be die-hard Sony fans, and then run the system down. XD
#30 Posted by gokuofheaven (3442 posts) -
It's definitely a dead system but no, it hasn't been discontinued. I have mine and I enjoy it but the writing is on the wall: this thing is selling horribly and there is very little in the way of upcoming support.famicommander
Shouldn't you be posting in system wars?
#31 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -
It can't be dead if it hasn't been discontinued and people are still making games for it...
#32 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -
Shouldn't the salespeople at GameStop be talking up everything that might get them a sale? It's BS like this that drives people away from the system and makes all the "is the Vita dying?" questions valid. Ugh.
#33 Posted by Videodogg (12557 posts) -

This is a funny troll thread. Congratulations.

#34 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Typical. I said nothing negative about the system itself: I bought one and I like it. I'm not a fanboy of any sort (I own over 30 different gaming platforms ranging from Pong to a Neo Geo to a CD-i all the way up to every single current generation system), I'm just a realist. According to NPD only one game has broken 300,000 units sold in the United States, and that was bundled with the console for awhile (Black Ops Declassified). It sold 250,000 thousand units in its first Christmas in the US, with the most support it is ever going to see (because none of its big games, ie COD, AC, Madden PS Allstars, etc sold well at all). It is not yet dead in the literal sense but it's just a formality at this point. The point was not to compare it to other systems, and I won't, but those numbers are historically bad. At some point developers will decide it isn't worth the financial risk of making games, and retailers will decide the system isn't worth dedicating valuable shelf space to. That isn't something Sony seems to be interested in doing anything about, if E3, TGS, and their first Christmas are any indication. There is no reason to take that as an attack on the system. It's a sober interpretation of the information available to us. Again, I like the system or I wouldn't own one. That has nothing to do with my comments and it's ridiculous that you got defensive.
#35 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -
[QUOTE="famicommander"]Typical. I said nothing negative about the system itself: I bought one and I like it. I'm not a fanboy of any sort (I own over 30 different gaming platforms ranging from Pong to a Neo Geo to a CD-i all the way up to every single current generation system), I'm just a realist. According to NPD only one game has broken 300,000 units sold in the United States, and that was bundled with the console for awhile (Black Ops Declassified). It sold 250,000 thousand units in its first Christmas in the US, with the most support it is ever going to see (because none of its big games, ie COD, AC, Madden PS Allstars, etc sold well at all). It is not yet dead in the literal sense but it's just a formality at this point. The point was not to compare it to other systems, and I won't, but those numbers are historically bad. At some point developers will decide it isn't worth the financial risk of making games, and retailers will decide the system isn't worth dedicating valuable shelf space to. That isn't something Sony seems to be interested in doing anything about, if E3, TGS, and their first Christmas are any indication. There is no reason to take that as an attack on the system. It's a sober interpretation of the information available to us. Again, I like the system or I wouldn't own one. That has nothing to do with my comments and it's ridiculous that you got defensive.

The fact that you called the system dead despite all of the facts proving otherwise doesn't help your case much. Either you're trolling or just used an extremely poor choice of words.
#36 Posted by WickedChainy (288 posts) -
That'd be sad. I haven't gotten one yet :'( Sony hasn't said anything about this, but I really doubt that they will. The Vita looks like it has some staying power as in the games that are going to be coming out for it soon are going to be looking amazing and when people start to see that I'm sure it will pick up on sales atleast a little. Along with it hopefully getting cheaper to make soon there really isn't a reason for Sony to discontinue the Vita so soon.
#37 Posted by gamenerd15 (4438 posts) -

The upcoming games include

Killzone

Tearaway

Dead or Alive 5

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus

Warriors Lair

Sly Cooper Thieves in Time

Dragon's Crown

Lego China or something to that affect

MLB 13 The Show

Studio Bend's second major Vita project

Phantasy Star Onlie 2

Final Fantasy X

Ratchet and Clank Full Frontal

Guaccamelee

cool games already out

Uncharted

Lumines

Hot Shots Golf

Wipeout

Unit 13

Super Stardust Delta

Mutant Blobs Attack

Esxape Plan

Dokoro

Mortal Kombat

Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Rayman Origins

Gravity Rush

Little Big Planet

Assassins Creed Liberation

Persona 4: Golden

Ragnarok Odyssey (for some people)

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Sound Shapes

PlayStation All Stars

Denfense 2017 Portable

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 plus

Franchises that might hit the Vita at some point

God of War

Syphon Filter

Patopon

There is no shortage of games coming to the Vita. I believe I named a game in each genre. The whole argument of the Vita not having games is a moot issue. The only genres that are not represented well are first person shooters and realistic sports titles. The system does have a lot of ports, but if you want a particular game on the go, then that is not necessarily a bad thing.

#38 Posted by Ovirew (6326 posts) -

Um... Not sure what is up with your list, but a lot of those games are already on the Vita. Not that the system doesn't have new games to look forward to, but that list is seriously out of whack. >>

#39 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

Um... Not sure what is up with your list, but a lot of those games are already on the Vita. Not that the system doesn't have new games to look forward to, but that list is seriously out of whack. >>

Ovirew
The list was split into upcoming games, and games already out. The OP just did a meh job at spacing the two lists.
#40 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="famicommander"]Typical. I said nothing negative about the system itself: I bought one and I like it. I'm not a fanboy of any sort (I own over 30 different gaming platforms ranging from Pong to a Neo Geo to a CD-i all the way up to every single current generation system), I'm just a realist. According to NPD only one game has broken 300,000 units sold in the United States, and that was bundled with the console for awhile (Black Ops Declassified). It sold 250,000 thousand units in its first Christmas in the US, with the most support it is ever going to see (because none of its big games, ie COD, AC, Madden PS Allstars, etc sold well at all). It is not yet dead in the literal sense but it's just a formality at this point. The point was not to compare it to other systems, and I won't, but those numbers are historically bad. At some point developers will decide it isn't worth the financial risk of making games, and retailers will decide the system isn't worth dedicating valuable shelf space to. That isn't something Sony seems to be interested in doing anything about, if E3, TGS, and their first Christmas are any indication. There is no reason to take that as an attack on the system. It's a sober interpretation of the information available to us. Again, I like the system or I wouldn't own one. That has nothing to do with my comments and it's ridiculous that you got defensive.

The fact that you called the system dead despite all of the facts proving otherwise doesn't help your case much. Either you're trolling or just used an extremely poor choice of words.

You're bitterly arguing semantics when it has no effect on the issue at hand. Does it really matter whether it's discontinued now or next year? It's a formality at this point. Vita will never be a relevant player in this industry. Just enjoy it for what it is and stop deluding yourself.
#41 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4121 posts) -
[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="famicommander"]Typical. I said nothing negative about the system itself: I bought one and I like it. I'm not a fanboy of any sort (I own over 30 different gaming platforms ranging from Pong to a Neo Geo to a CD-i all the way up to every single current generation system), I'm just a realist. According to NPD only one game has broken 300,000 units sold in the United States, and that was bundled with the console for awhile (Black Ops Declassified). It sold 250,000 thousand units in its first Christmas in the US, with the most support it is ever going to see (because none of its big games, ie COD, AC, Madden PS Allstars, etc sold well at all). It is not yet dead in the literal sense but it's just a formality at this point. The point was not to compare it to other systems, and I won't, but those numbers are historically bad. At some point developers will decide it isn't worth the financial risk of making games, and retailers will decide the system isn't worth dedicating valuable shelf space to. That isn't something Sony seems to be interested in doing anything about, if E3, TGS, and their first Christmas are any indication. There is no reason to take that as an attack on the system. It's a sober interpretation of the information available to us. Again, I like the system or I wouldn't own one. That has nothing to do with my comments and it's ridiculous that you got defensive.

You're bitterly arguing semantics when it has no effect on the issue at hand. Does it really matter whether it's discontinued now or next year? It's a formality at this point. Vita will never be a relevant player in this industry. Just enjoy it for what it is and stop deluding yourself.

:lol: Thanks for the laugh.
#42 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6118 posts) -
not sure if trolling...
#43 Posted by foxfacer2d2 (570 posts) -

I thought ascension God of war was in the vita. it is funny though for a 1st party developer not developing games to their newest product. The vita was just sad, i only use it for youtube, netflix, and music unlimited for it. I wish there was a God of ward game in the vita but not the psp version.

#44 Posted by Kaisfate (141 posts) -
vita has been out for barely a year and hasnt even had a price cut yet. no chance of it being discontinued even in the next 2 years....2013 has quite a few decent looking games coming for it as well, and now there is a rumor that monster hunter 4 is coming out for it. if MH4 hits vita, the story will change significantly in the near future as japan sales alone will go through the roof.
#45 Posted by Hoznary (539 posts) -

I thought ascension God of war was in the vita. it is funny though for a 1st party developer not developing games to their newest product. The vita was just sad, i only use it for youtube, netflix, and music unlimited for it. I wish there was a God of ward game in the vita but not the psp version.

foxfacer2d2
Thats the saddest part :/ Sony has some great first party developers but they wont use them on their brand new product :S Its like they don't even care about it! All they care about is ps4 :(
#46 Posted by Kaisfate (141 posts) -
[QUOTE="foxfacer2d2"]

Hoznary
Thats the saddest part :/ Sony has some great first party developers but they wont use them on their brand new product :S Its like they don't even care about it! All they care about is ps4 :(

thats funny, because there was just an article with Hirai saying he couldnt care less if microsoft announces their new console first.... doesnt sound like they care much about the PS4 either. first to the market always has a huge advantage. xbox had plenty of time to get traction before the PS3 came out and look what happened... it had an absolutely huge lead in sale for years.
#47 Posted by SulIy (112 posts) -

Kage1
I still remember when I tried to reserve Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii way back before it came out, and the clerk there told me that Mario games weren't available on the Wii and asked me if I wanted to reserve the 360 or PS3 versions. Yikes.
#48 Posted by aryanbrar (2089 posts) -

Don't think it will be discontinued soon. It's a very nice system. Best hand held for gaming bar none. I just got one a couple days ago and I gotta say the games are quite awesome. Traded in my 3ds which was collecting dust. The vita is far superior in every way. It is a pretty good deal for what you get. GameStop is probably trying to push the inventory that has been there a long time. The vita has not been. chris24l

of course it is, i remember a director from nintendo calling vita as a very amazing device. downfall for vita is price and almost zero marketing.

#49 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6118 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kage1"]

SulIy
I still remember when I tried to reserve Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii way back before it came out, and the clerk there told me that Mario games weren't available on the Wii and asked me if I wanted to reserve the 360 or PS3 versions. Yikes.

LOL
#50 Posted by Wolfysteve (29 posts) -

It was probably a Nintendo 3DS owner telling you that

-ArchAngeL-777-
Haha I came on this thread expecting a post just like this. You paid off. Thank you for giving me a good, long laugh.