Is the PS4 sound in DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ghstbstr (8789 posts) -

For instance I have Killzone Shadow Fall but I don't have a PS4 yet, and it doesn't say on the back of the game box if it has DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD.

So does the games that you played on the PS4 have DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD?

#2 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5747 posts) -

neither.... DTS-HD and and Dolby true HD, are lossless codecs for bluray movies. Games on the PS3 and PS4 use LPCM which is uncompressed audio. The quality of the audio really depends on the developers.

#3 Posted by ghstbstr (8789 posts) -

@GTSaiyanjin2:

Some games on the back of the says either DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD, and so does the back of the box on the PS4.

So I am sure that Killzone Shadow Fall uses one of the two sound formats.

#4 Posted by ghstbstr (8789 posts) -

Someone has to have a receiver that says what audio format is being played.

#5 Edited by Porfie (9 posts) -

I have the PS4 and have been extremely disappointed that it does not support or show DTS--HD or Dolby true-HD on my compatible receiver when watching blu-ray movies that support these audio formats (pioneer elite sc-75). I have changed the audio settings to bitstream and back to linear PCM on the PS4, but all it ever shows is PCM on my receiver. I know the original PS3 had this issue, but was resolved with the PS3 slim. Anyone else having this issue?

#6 Posted by theaminator19 (6 posts) -

@porfie: The PS4 does actually support all formats including DTS- HD Master Audio (the first consumer device ever to do so, see link below) and Dolby True HD, my Yamaha HTR-2866 picks both of them up fine through my HDMI audio. If you're using an optical audio cable it could be down to the fact some will only support 2 channels of uncompressed PCM or compressed 5.1audio (so not dolby true HD)

http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-releases/2013/11/dts-hd-master-audio71-delivers-unsurpassed-surround-sound-experience-on-playstation4.aspx

http://oi39.tinypic.com/nqede9.jpg