This topic is locked from further discussion.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 corb77
Member since 2003 • 464 Posts

Me and a few friends at work where talking about are ps4 the other day. We were talking about what games we had bought for the system.

After a short talk I noticed that my friends had all only bought one game for the ps4 (including myself). More shocking was one of my friends said "what's the point in buying games anymore, they all end up on PS+ at some point"

At that point all my friends agreed....

Now this really worried me.... They treat the PlayStation as a subscription based platform now, the pay a yearly sum of money then only play the PS+ games.

This started me wondering if this is a very clever plan buy Sony to slowly make the PlayStation more of a subscription platform?

Because what happens when no one is actually buying the games? Where dose the money go?

If it carries on like this I can see the games industry changing on Sony's side.

For example: If no one's buying games Sony could make every game free to play on PS+ but change £30 a month? (just a thought).

I started to worrie about this more when I read an article regarding games sold on the PlayStation and it said gamers had only bought 1.7 games between all the ps4s sold...

So what do you think, are we heading down a road of monthly paid subscriptions where we never truly own are games?

Am I worrying about nothing and should I just enjoy PS+?

Let me know.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

If this was an industry other than video games, you may have a point, but when games sell at 60$ a pop, there's no benefit from swaying everybody into this "it'l be free eventually" mindset. More than anything, PS+ was just a way to swindle Playstation owners out of 60$ a year by offering a bunch of discount games at the cost of the subscription. It's a great deal, but it won't replace the standard new release, there's far too much money to be made off the current model.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

AAA development will never be sustainable if it relied purely on a subscription model.

PS Plus is a very nice service, and in the last 12 months, the selection of "free" games has been more impressive than usual. I expect that has more to do with the PS3 nearing the end of it's lifespan, than it does with an imaginative world domination plot from a spy novel.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By corb77

I'm not sure.

With most people I've spoke to and read on forums who own a ps4/ps3, they simply don't buy games and it seems to be a growing trend.

What happens if this trend of "waiting for games to release on PS+" gets bigger?

I do worrie that 2-3 years from now you will see subscriptions on the PlayStation. There already starting a subscription with PlayStation now so a subscription to ps4 games dosnt sound to unlikely dose it?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

no offense but anybody who has that wait until its on ps+ mindset is an idiot. why wait years to play it just because you want to wait for it to be in ps+? with that kind of mindset, you'd be missing out on great exclusives like the last of us and beyond two souls (neither of which are on ps+). if you find a game you want to play then play it. don't wait for it to be on ps+ because you would be waiting a long time. if digital game rentals become a big thing then so what. it still doesn't take away the ability to go buy the game if you really like it.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 corb77

I do buy the games but there's a hell of a lot who don't and wait for ps+ games.

I'll try and find the article later to post the link but it says on that, all the PlayStations sold and the average number of games bought is 1.7 where as the xbox one was selling 3.1 or something like that.

It's great we get ps+ and free games but I just wish more of the community on PlayStation bought more games to support the industry

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Some games will never be on PS Plus like God of War 3, the Resistance Franchise, Killzone, Metal Gear Solid 4, and others due to their size. I do not wait for games to arrive on Plus. I am only doing that with a handful of games like Dishonored and Far Cry 3 based on the high profile titles we have been getting lately. I doubt many will sit around waiting for games to come to Plus. I have been lucky that almost none of the games I own have come to Plus except Demon's Souls.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@corb77: The games that come to ps+ all make money from the subscription. So everyone benefits. Not everyone thinks like that

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

whatever the future holds for the gaming industry depends on how trends evolve. you notice how last gen they started trying to push us into digital downloads instead of physical media? the industry wants it to eventually be all digital so they will have this DRM dilemma resolved. ps+ free games are a small step towards an all digital future. psnow [although i think it might be ahead of its time] will be another bigger step. digital versions of some games are starting to be sold cheaper to push the digital agenda further. its all steps towards the goal of an all digital, DRM future where once you buy the game it cant be sold or traded...youre stuck with it forever. so yeah, buy physical media whenever possible to keep the gaming industry vultures at bay.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Last_Ride

@tempura13 said:

Speaking for the Vita here:

If anything, I think PS+ hurts the system in some way despite of its fantastic service. You still get a lot of people saying, "Oh, a new Vita game! Looks good, but let's wait for it to appear in PS+!". Then, you also get people ranting on PS Blog they didn't get a particular game they want as if the service is made to solely cater for their tastes. Good example for that would be the fighting games the Vita got for several months (US). I mean, getting free (quality) games is already great, but there are those who aren't satisfied still.

I always thought that the IGC is just part of the package. I could be wrong, and there's no denying that the free games is the reason people subscribe (even before the PS4). It's starting to feel like "Hey, I subscribed, so I should get the games I want!" thing.

It doesn't help when recently released games do get offered in the IGC, like Soul Sacrifice. "Why buy the game when you can just wait for it to be offered in PS+ (in a few months)" indeed. People want more games on the Vita, but they refuse to support it in the first place. Really boggles the mind.

Then again, the system barely gets support from western developers (aside from indies), so that can be a relatively huge factor for others.

I buy games for it when i can and when i see something i like for it. I bought Persona 4, AC Liberationa, Super Stardust Delta and Need for Speed Most Wanted. All really good games for it

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

The percentage of gamers with the patience to wait for a game to come out on plus(if it's even offered at all) is very small. This model won't replace anything, it exists to buffer the average gamer's library. Waiting and hoping for that AAA title of today will somehow end up on PS+ is not what the service is about.

I think it's evil because it fattens my back-log and it gnaws at me to know I have a bunch of games on my HD that I haven't started or finished!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@porkchopxp said:

The percentage of gamers with the patience to wait for a game to come out on plus(if it's even offered at all) is very small. This model won't replace anything, it exists to buffer the average gamer's library. Waiting and hoping for that AAA title of today will somehow end up on PS+ is not what the service is about.

I think it's evil because it fattens my back-log and it gnaws at me to know I have a bunch of games on my HD that I haven't started or finished!

Pretty much this, there hasn't been many times that i have bought games and they came up on ps+

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@porkchopxp said:

Pretty much this, there hasn't been many times that i have bought games and they came up on ps+

The only game I finished that game out for PSN+ was Hotline Miami. lol

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@porkchopxp said:

We didn't get that game here

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Young_Charter

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@porkchopxp said:

UK ?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@porkchopxp said:

UK ?

Nope, look in my signature :3

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Young_Charter

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Young_Charter said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@porkchopxp said:

UK ?

Nope, look in my signature :3

No ! lol :D

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have bought 8 Retail Playstation 4 games. "1.7 Games" is the official attach rate. But given that this is just the launch/launch window period. Then people may think that rate is too low. As for PS+ being evil. I like to think of it as a way to try games I may would never have bought. A nice way to experience indie games. So now that PS+ is required for on-line play. Having "free" game rentals is a nice bonus.

I will still buy and prefer physical games on disc over downloads. PS+ is a nice bonus. Will Sony turn PS+ and later Gaikai/Playstation now into a game streaming rental service. It is possible but it is unlikely. It would have the side effect of throttling the videogame industry. To a grinding halt.