Is my step dad potentially killing my PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

britishdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 britishdude360
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts

Hey guys,

I am just wondering when i play a game and i have finished with it, i exit to the ps3 home and eject/power off when im done!

Well my step dad uses my ps3, im not one of these possesive people, who lock their ps3s away from all things evil

But ive noticed when hes done with a game, well during gamplay of for example GTA he will just eject the game/power off, now i always used to do this with my ps2 and my xbox 360, never killed them! but is ps3 any different, does it really matter to the ps3 that hes doing this?

P.S i wont beable to teach him, he couldnt even learn how to play fallout 3, poor guy lol

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
I wouldn't do it myself personally, but I don't think it'll damage the system. what I would be more concerned about is corrupting save data if he's doing it while the system is saving.
Avatar image for ThePhenomenaIHP
ThePhenomenaIHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ThePhenomenaIHP
Member since 2011 • 276 Posts

Well I don't know if this can damage your PS3 since I always quit the game before turning off the console. But ejecting the game while it's running doesn't sound like the best choice to me.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

It won't hurt anything, I do it all the time. He might not get a save that way, but sometimes if I screwed up on a game and would need to load a prior save anyway to continue, I'll quit a game or just shut the system off (avoiding an auto-save that could screw my progress).

It's only if he's in the middle of a save routine that his SAVE will possibly get corrupted. You know what you SHOULD do, though, is to set the parental controls so that he can't play anything above "Hannah Montana" in content and needs you to unlock it for him!

:lol:

"Oh, you want to play BLOPS? Gotta ask your guardian's permission!"

Dude needs to splurge a little, buy his own. But that's me. And I'm a jerk. Ask around the forums, they'll tell ya.

:D

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

No it won't damage anything unless the game is writing data to the HDD at the time of shutoff and that will only damage gamesaves and game data not the system or the XMB or anything else.

^ Yep he is :D

FearMe801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FearMe801
Member since 2011 • 399 Posts

What if you are in the middle of a saving process and all of a sudden the power in your house turn off

does that count to corruption?

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

What if you are in the middle of a saving process and all of a sudden the power in your house turn off

FearMe801

I'd imagine it's probably not the best thing since it says not turn off the system while it's saving, which is why I'm refraining from playing deus ex in the midst of a hurricane.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
I don't think its "healthy" for it, i definitely wouldn't do it myself, you should always quit to the XMB or you could corrupt save files or possibly the hard drive..
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

The only way to damage the PS3 is by turning it off by the power switch(slims don't have them)at the back while it's saving, if you turn it off from the menu or button on the front your fine the PS3 finishes what it's doing before it powers down.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="FearMe801"]

blueboxdoctor

I'd imagine it's probably not the best thing since it says not turn off the system while it's saving, which is why I'm refraining from playing deus ex in the midst of a hurricane.

Good LAWD, Doc! Where in the world are you? Here's a little vid I took of storms where I'm from this summer, some great lightning strikes caught on tape, and some amazing cracks of thunder... We've has about 5 lightning storms like this so far this summer. But a hurricane? Guess I'll count us lucky to be getting hit by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1SLK-kf4o

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
I do that all the time. Never had a problem.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I always exit to the XMB before shutting off my PS3 but I never eject the disk.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blueboxdoctor

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

[QUOTE="FearMe801"]

MonkeySpot

Good LAWD, Doc! Where in the world are you? Here's a little vid I took of storms where I'm from this summer, some great lightning strikes caught on tape, and some amazing cracks of thunder... We've has about 5 lightning storms like this so far this summer. But a hurricane? Guess I'll count us lucky to be getting hit by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1SLK-kf4o

truth be told there wasn't much of the hurricane to speak of during the day, but the power flashed on and off a few times, so I didn't want to risk messing up my progress, though apparently the big part of the storm will be coming between 4 and 7 AM, which equals waking up to a full day of deus ex.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot

I assume you're on the eastern coast of the US, then? Turned on the TV for the race last night and saw the news briefs (I NEVER watch TV anymore).

NJNewJerseyNJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NJNewJerseyNJ
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Of course it affects the PS3, it wants yours and everyones attention. It has feelings and needs to be loved. Make sure you remember that lol.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueboxdoctor

I assume you're on the eastern coast of the US, then? Turned on the TV for the race last night and saw the news briefs (I NEVER watch TV anymore).

MonkeySpot

oh yeah, east coast in jersey, they kept saying how we were going to get the storm of a lifetime, but i didn't lose power, basement didn't flood, fence stayed up, and the only thing that went out was comcast so i had no internet or tv at 3 in the morning, which wasn't a big deal. apparently the shore, where it was supposed to hit the hardest, didn't even get nearly as much damage as they said it would. the only big thing that happened was cancelling the phillies double header, but not being a big baseball fan it wasn't that big of a problem.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

If its the power button in front then nothing could harm the PS3, if he's using the main power switch in the back of the console... I'm not sure...

It's okay to use the front power button to turn it off as long as you're at a main menu or something and no data is saving.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
I usually wait until I'm not auto-saving, then hold down the PS button and choose "Shut down the system". He should probably get into the habit of doing the same. I mean, it's not as though my way takes any longer...
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Nope, it's a power button for a reason, it turns your system on an off. They wouldn't add a button with those features if it damaged your system.