is it time to get a vita?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nick36001 (77 posts) -

Iv been playing my psp a lot lately and i just started wondering. Is it time to get a vita? If i get one ill probably go with the assasins creed 3 bundle. Iv never played a creed game before but a white vita looks sweet. Plus i have the silver psp 3000. What games do you recommend? I already have a few in mind. PS all stars, NFS most wanted, sly 4 and monkeyball, and persona 4 golden. Possibly LBP or Gravity Crush.

also what does the PS+ service offer for NA cusomers on the vita?

#2 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
keep in mind that ur psp physical copies wont play on any vita system. I recommend wipeout 2048 / PS all stars & Gravity Rush
#3 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4135 posts) -

Most Wanted is awesome. ACIII L is fun even though the story is kinda all over the place.

#4 Posted by danjin44 (280 posts) -
All I can say
#5 Posted by gameguycolor (22 posts) -

Iv been playing my psp a lot lately and i just started wondering. Is it time to get a vita? If i get one ill probably go with the assasins creed 3 bundle. Iv never played a creed game before but a white vita looks sweet. Plus i have the silver psp 3000. What games do you recommend? I already have a few in mind. PS all stars, NFS most wanted, sly 4 and monkeyball, and persona 4 golden. Possibly LBP or Gravity Crush.

nick36001
I recommend not to buy, they plan to price drop next year, you might as well wait. I just recently bought my 3ds over vita even though i really wanted to buy a vita, im just waiting for a price drop, and i heard a rumour that sony will make a more higher resolution vita, well its just rumour, but if its true its worth the wait.
#6 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3786 posts) -

It depends on you really. Vita has a lot of good games right now, and the bundles are still a very good deal. $250 for a Wifi Vita, AC, and a 4GB memory card is as good a price drop as you will see in the near future. 4GB cards wont get much cheaper. Lets say Sony drops the price of a Wifi Vita to $200 and AC drops to $20. Your still going to pay $230 or so for all three items.

LBP, PS All Stars, NFS, Uncharted, Unit 13, and COD are my top games. All excellent. COD gets a lot of crap, but the multiplayer is as good as it gets on mobile platforms. I like it often better than Black Ops 2. Gravity Rush is my next game. I hear that's great. Mod Nation racers and Super Stardust HD were fun too. Unit 13 had crashing issues at launch, but mine works fine as long as I dont take their patch.

#7 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

Normally I'd say no, but it seems like you've done some research and got a handle on what you're interested in. If you've gone at least partially digital on PSP it could ease the transition more. If you're serious about getting one it shouldn't be too hard to find stores doing holiday sales for it (bundles, gift card, free games, accessories, somewhere along the lines of ~$50-100 value in bonuses).

Additional recommendations to what you already have:

Wipeout 2048, Hot Shots Golf, Golden Abyss (as a showpiece), a more technical fighting game (UMvC3, MK, and Blazblue all fit the bill), Super Stardust Delta, Sound Shapes, Assassin's Creed Liberation, Rayman.

More obscure recommendations:

Zero Escape, Dokuro, Disgaea (for sRPG fans), Motorstorm RC (the overhead RC style turns some people off), DJMAX (digital only, bit overpriced), Dynasty Warriors Next (not everyone's cup of tea, but the style works well on a handheld), Lumines.

With Super Monkey Ball, I would suggest looking more into it. From what little I've played so far it seems pretty barebones.

If you get PS+ you'd get a small but solid selection, and mostly importantly you get cloud storage which is a much much better option than backing up the entire system through PC/PS3.

#8 Posted by Malta_1980 (11398 posts) -

i'll give you 15 reasons why its definately time for getting a PSV :P

Persona4

SFxTekken

LBP

PSABR

NFS

UMvC3

Wipeout

Uncharted

Gravity Rush

Modnation Racers

Rayman Origins

Assassins Creed

Unit 13

BlazBlue CS Extend

Fifa

And oh you can also search on what coming up in 2013 which is already looking great...

#9 Posted by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

nick36001

Awful time to buy

You missed out on Black Friday's deal of the Assassin's Creed deal for 179 (along with all stars and other add ons) and the real telling thing was that it didn't sell like crazy, there were plenty left over.

The Vita isn't healthy right now and Sony is going to have to make it more attractive to customers, that means when the year is done (at the start of next year) Sony will end up cutting the price.

I would wait, if you've waited this long and you don't even really want any of the games since you're asking for recommendations then there's no reason for you to get a Vita now.

#10 Posted by andyrulesliver (437 posts) -

YOLO

#11 Posted by i-rock-socks (3070 posts) -

if you CAN wait, i say u should.

unless you have avery strong urge to get a vita and play a specific game/s, i say wait for either a good deal, price cut, killer app, or some special edition.

i love my vita, love playin my ps1, psp, and the (few) vita games on it, but nothing on it has made me want to buy the system by itself, like zelda, and mario 3d land did for the 3ds (athough my vita has given me more play so far).

but its a great handheld, if money aint a thing and/or theres a game you "must" play, go for it.

#12 Posted by Hanzoadam (6576 posts) -

Well Persona is out so yes

#13 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

nick36001
Not for 250 bucks.. not even the bundle. But ultimately it's up to you. I'm a "casual" gamer and bought the 179.99 bundle.. but the screen was a PITA. Going for another replacement from amazon but sadly the freaking AC BUndle's sold out and apparently amazon's selling a few used bundles LMFAO. TBH, just get it when a you find a game you TRULY want to play ("OMG I gotsa play dat sht NaO!"). Goodluck.
#14 Posted by Megavideogamer (5440 posts) -

Yes it is time to get a PSvita. Today is the PSvita 1 year anniversary. The Playstation Vita launched in Japan Dec 17th 2011. So Sony's new system is 1 year old. There is a full years worth of games for PSvita so you should be able to find something you like. Sony even seems to have included a 4GB Psvita memory card with the system. Which is enough for at least 20 PSvita games. I have bought a PSvita a launch which came with a 4GB memory card and the pack in game Little devients. So that tiny memory card is good enough for just gaming.

Yes there are Christmas sales on PSvita bundles right now. This is the best time to get a PSvita. You have a years worth of game relaseses to choose from. This is a good system I have enjoyed it.

#15 Posted by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

Yes it is time to get a PSvita. Today is the PSvita 1 year anniversary. The Playstation Vita launched in Japan Dec 17th 2011. So Sony's new system is 1 year old. There is a full years worth of games for PSvita so you should be able to find something you like. Sony even seems to have included a 4GB Psvita memory card with the system. Which is enough for at least 20 PSvita games. I have bought a PSvita a launch which came with a 4GB memory card and the pack in game Little devients. So that tiny memory card is good enough for just gaming.

Yes there are Christmas sales on PSvita bundles right now. This is the best time to get a PSvita. You have a years worth of game relaseses to choose from. This is a good system I have enjoyed it.

Megavideogamer

You totally overlook the fact that prices for the Vita have gone up since Black Friday and that the Vita is performing so badly that a price cut will be in the near future once the end of year numbers are in?

How can you say it's a good buy right now?

Black Friday or at the start of the fiscal year when the price cut happens, there's nothing to support buying it now.

#16 Posted by Ovirew (6392 posts) -

There's plenty of good games, with more sure to come. I'd say now is a reasonable time to get a Vita, especially if you get some Holiday cash to spend on one.

#17 Posted by Truvietplaya (659 posts) -
I would wait. Persona almost got me to rebuy the vita again but I chose to pass. Also when you look ahead the next 6 months or so. There really is nothing to look forward to. I'm waiting for the vita and wii u to come out with some quality games and not just ports. Well Nintendo and Sony. My money went elsewhere this year.
#18 Posted by DeviIHuman (203 posts) -

I saw many persona 4 voices out there lol. I can recommend exclusive Vita games like Dokuro, Ragnarok Odyssey, Disgaea, Shinobido 2 and Gravity Rush. But if you want to save more money wait for the price drop on Holiday sale they might be on SALE!! lol

#19 Posted by crazypal (507 posts) -

I would wait. Persona almost got me to rebuy the vita again but I chose to pass. Also when you look ahead the next 6 months or so. There really is nothing to look forward to. I'm waiting for the vita and wii u to come out with some quality games and not just ports. Well Nintendo and Sony. My money went elsewhere this year. Truvietplaya

I am sorry, nothing to look forward to? perhaps to you, in the next 6 months we'll probably be getting soul sacrifice, tearaway and killzone ... 3 original huge titles I think lot of us will be looking forward to them.

#20 Posted by Poinciana (54 posts) -
What are you asking, if it's time to buy or worth buying ? Time to buy ? No. You missed out on the sales. I got mine last week when I traded in my regular 3DS for double store credit at GS.I also got with it LBP and PS All SAtars for $20 each. As some one else said, they didn't sell like hot cakes so a eminent sale with better bundle package will be out soon next year. Is it worth buying ? Yes. There are enough good/great games out to warrant the purchase and keep you playing. IMHO, the AC III bundle is the only one worth getting though, and they are pretty mutch sold out everywhere.
#21 Posted by Truvietplaya (659 posts) -

[QUOTE="Truvietplaya"]I would wait. Persona almost got me to rebuy the vita again but I chose to pass. Also when you look ahead the next 6 months or so. There really is nothing to look forward to. I'm waiting for the vita and wii u to come out with some quality games and not just ports. Well Nintendo and Sony. My money went elsewhere this year. crazypal

I am sorry, nothing to look forward to? perhaps to you, in the next 6 months we'll probably be getting soul sacrifice, tearaway and killzone ... 3 original huge titles I think lot of us will be looking forward to them.

Out of those 3 games I might be interested in Soul Sacrifice. Hopefully Killzone won't disappoint like CoD and Resistance. I'm not as excited to get a vita as I am waiting for Tales of Xillia to to be released next year on PS3 so yea. It's just me.
#22 Posted by DeviIHuman (203 posts) -

If you got Vita check your PSN and you will realize the answer. Most of the games are sales PSP and Vita games.

#23 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
[QUOTE="crazypal"]

[QUOTE="Truvietplaya"]I would wait. Persona almost got me to rebuy the vita again but I chose to pass. Also when you look ahead the next 6 months or so. There really is nothing to look forward to. I'm waiting for the vita and wii u to come out with some quality games and not just ports. Well Nintendo and Sony. My money went elsewhere this year. Truvietplaya

Out of those 3 games I might be interested in Soul Sacrifice. Hopefully Killzone won't disappoint like CoD and Resistance. I'm not as excited to get a vita as I am waiting for Tales of Xillia to to be released next year on PS3 so yea. It's just me.

COD on vita doesn't disappoint, other than not having zombies anyway.
#24 Posted by Jaysonguy (37678 posts) -

[QUOTE="Truvietplaya"][QUOTE="crazypal"]

p4s2p0

Call of Duty on the Vita is complete garbage.

#25 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="Truvietplaya"] Out of those 3 games I might be interested in Soul Sacrifice. Hopefully Killzone won't disappoint like CoD and Resistance. I'm not as excited to get a vita as I am waiting for Tales of Xillia to to be released next year on PS3 so yea. It's just me. Jaysonguy

People have said the same about the series on home console. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I haven't played a shooter this good on portable IMO. Resistance retribution on psp was the closest.
#26 Posted by crazypal (507 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"] COD on vita doesn't disappoint, other than not having zombies anyway.p4s2p0

People have said the same about the series on home console. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I haven't played a shooter this good on portable IMO. Resistance retribution on psp was the closest.

mmmm, I never liked CoD but I always like resistence and I thought the demo was ok so I am pondering taking that game. it's wierd it's not on PSPlus list.

I predict killzone would be an amazing game as long as no nihilistic is involved.

#27 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

crazypal

mmmm, I never liked CoD but I always like resistence and I thought the demo was ok so I am pondering taking that game. it's wierd it's not on PSPlus list.

I predict killzone would be an amazing game as long as no nihilistic is involved.

Ya resistance burning skies was alright despite the problems like bad gun sounds or no clans. I liked the story and level designs. Being cheaper now it should be easier to justify getting.
#28 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -

crazypal
Nihilistic renamed themselves to nStigate games and are only making digital and phone games now. So you can pretty much forget about another FPS from them, I think, at least on the Vita.
#29 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4135 posts) -
[QUOTE="Truvietplaya"][QUOTE="crazypal"]

I am sorry, nothing to look forward to? perhaps to you, in the next 6 months we'll probably be getting soul sacrifice, tearaway and killzone ... 3 original huge titles I think lot of us will be looking forward to them.p4s2p0

Are you serious? How is half a game for $50 not disappointing? If the game were priced at $30 I'd say it's an OK deal, but $50 for this shell of a game is ridiculous.
#30 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="Truvietplaya"] Out of those 3 games I might be interested in Soul Sacrifice. Hopefully Killzone won't disappoint like CoD and Resistance. I'm not as excited to get a vita as I am waiting for Tales of Xillia to to be released next year on PS3 so yea. It's just me.

Are you serious? How is half a game for $50 not disappointing? If the game were priced at $30 I'd say it's an OK deal, but $50 for this shell of a game is ridiculous.

While story mode is a little short I thought it was well done. They also have time trial and hostiles mode that gives us around the same amount of play time I got out of other shooters like resistance and socom. Multiplayer is longer though with 10 prestige's. So I feel it balances out.
#31 Posted by DeviIHuman (203 posts) -

That was a big mistakes for COD blackops declassified but no need to worry man cheers Holiday sale is up :)

#32 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
why get a vita when a phone is just as good for games and games are dirt cheap, gameloft and ea have many console level phone games. I see no reason to get a device that is only for mobile gaming.
#33 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="Truvietplaya"] Out of those 3 games I might be interested in Soul Sacrifice. Hopefully Killzone won't disappoint like CoD and Resistance. I'm not as excited to get a vita as I am waiting for Tales of Xillia to to be released next year on PS3 so yea. It's just me.

yup especially when modern combat is pretty much cod and can be found for $1 if you wait for the sales. Even modern combat 4 for $10 is way better deal than psp cod.
#34 Posted by DeviIHuman (203 posts) -

There are some games which phones can't handle but yeah mobile gaming is a threat for gaming handhelds.

But keep in mind not all phones are good in gaming, if Vita can use as mobile it could be great.